Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Cat peeing everywhere

• 13-05-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

hi folks....a little male arrived at our door just before xmas...and has never left!! He is indoors and outdoors and due to be neutered on Monday. he is about 6 months old...cant be too sure as don't know where he came from. He was great to use litter tray, which he still does. However, the past two weeks, he has taken to peeing on the couch, bed, carpet... am sick of cleaning up...and the smell is just awful. We have a female, about 2 years old..they get on okay..pretty much ignore each other. The male does use the litter tray too. Any ideas folks???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

At that age, you can expect him to settle down gradually over a period of several weeks after neutering as the testosterone washes out of his system. Perhaps allow him only in tiled and easily washed portions of the home till his behavior is more acceptable.

This is why my vets, research scientists and the top of their field in feline medicine, always advocated "pediatric" spay and neuter. It is on the whole safer and the kittens recover faster. There is no point leaving things till 6 months. Much after that, neutering is not always effective in reducing "bad tomcat behavior" and in fact a cat shelter near me is having trouble with a rescued boy who, three weeks after being neutered, still jumps on every female cat in the shelter and attempts to scrap with every male.

Thank you for being willing to rescue little guy, though. And I do know some notable success stories of adult neutering, such as my cat Bandersnatch who wasn't neutered till 14 months, turned himself around, and became the biggest cuddle buddy and best behaved cat I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks a mill...see, I took him to a vet not long after we got him and they were reluctant to neuter...maybe because he was v.weak..he had been starved, left for dead...poor little guy....

Thanks a mill...see, I took him to a vet not long after we got him and they were reluctant to neuter...maybe because he was v.weak..he had been starved, left for dead...poor little guy....

Awww, poor mite. Yeah, I have a ten-month-old male kitten who was neutered at ten weeks... and it was really difficult to find a vet here in the country who would agree to neuter that early (finally a local breeder came up with a name and said "say I sent you"). Little Jabberwock is all boy, but, fortunately, not all tomcat. :) Things will get better.

Please try to have him microchipped at least while he is in for the neuter. Since he is showing "big cat" behavior, he will also want to roam.

He's the sweetest little guy but the cleaning up pee is v.hard work and I can generally never find the actual spot!!! Never had this problem with females (believe it or not, we have never had a tom)...

He's the sweetest little guy but the cleaning up pee is v.hard work and I can generally never find the actual spot!!! Never had this problem with females (believe it or not, we have never had a tom)...

Those UV light things are really good for that. They make the pee spots glow a little brighter than the background.

• Advertisement

Thanks speed, are those lights handy to get??

You should be able to get them in larger pet shops or (since people who travel a lot also use them to inspect hotel sheets for cleanliness) places that cater to frequent fliers. I get mine from eBay, but given the typical shipping time from the Far Eastern sellers, odds are the problem will be largely solved by the time you get it. Still, odds are you might find a seller that ships from the UK or Europe or even the US (~7-10 business days).

I recommend you get the type that looks like a flashlight with a large head containing many UV LED lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've found most Ebay lights to be useless (tried 3 different so far) but this one works very well. Just make sure the room is as dark as possible before going hunting.

Nody wrote: »
    I've found most Ebay lights to be useless (tried 3 different so far) but this one works very well. Just make sure the room is as dark as possible before going hunting.

Oh, for stain tracking you should get lights that include the 365-370nm wavelength.

Bed peeing is not necessarily just an intact male thing, by the way. My 14-year-old female was a holy terror for peeing on the duvet at night when she was a kitten. She was adding her scent to the common sleeping place, just. She grew out of it fast enough, since it really was just kitten insecurity behavior, but it was disconcerting to wake up and smell cat pee again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

My male is three and neutered and is good overall using the litter tray but cannot be allowed into the bedrooms because he will always go on the pillows... we could never work out why and now he is banned! We don't have carpets so this was the only area where there was an issue.

Worth getting the little guy check for UTI as this can sometimes lead to inappropriate elimination too.

• Advertisement

Shivi111 wrote: »
    My male is three and neutered and is good overall using the litter tray but cannot be allowed into the bedrooms because he will always go on the pillows... we could never work out why and now he is banned! We don't have carpets so this was the only area where there was an issue.

Worth getting the little guy check for UTI as this can sometimes lead to inappropriate elimination too.

Funny you should say that. Jabberwock takes his day naps on my side of the bed with his head on the pillow. It is where my scent is strongest.

Especially with male cats, UTIs are a huge concern. Good on you for mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Speedwell wrote: »
    Funny you should say that. Jabberwock takes his day naps on my side of the bed with his head on the pillow. It is where my scent is strongest.

Especially with male cats, UTIs are a huge concern. Good on you for mentioning it.

We've four females in out house (two human & two feline) and he is the only boy... I sometimes wonder if he is trying to assert some kind of dominance with scent on the pillows... bless him. He also refuses to bury his waste, the girls clean up after him. I would be worried about his stress levels but otherwise he's very chilled!

Also occurred to me, OP, you mention you have another cat, do you have enough litter trays? (One per cat plus one is recommended) and are they kept pristine? If there are not enough trays this could contribute to his going outside the tray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

If it's only been happening the last two weeks, I would think he needs a check up for a UTI. At least to rule it out.

Good for you for taking him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

He probably is just marking, but you should get him checked just in case he has an infection - ours does now and then, and when he does we have to keep him outside or risk stinking up the entire house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Not much comfort, but at least after he's neutered the smell won't be so hideously awful as un nurtured tom pee...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Not much comfort, but at least after he's neutered the smell won't be so hideously awful as un nurtured tom pee...
    God tell me about it... We currently have a two year old tripod who came off the street and was only neutered a few days before along with removing his fourth leg and being rotated from the vet to us. The first few days you could smell the pee and wonder how the heck anyone can allow neutered males inside their house...

Having said that he's one of those big giants who loves his cuddles and wants to fall asleep on you (and drools like a mad man doing it; we're talking puddles here!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Having said that he's one of those big giants who loves his cuddles and wants to fall asleep on you (and drools like a mad man doing it; we're talking puddles here!).

So cute. I want a cuddly cat!

Thanks folks...interesting about the UTI...I'll mention it to the vet when I get him neutered.

Ah, couldn't leave him when we found him....poor little mite....but he was so tame and friendly, he must have been someones pet..if only for a while!!

So cute. I want a cuddly cat!
    Large males tend to be big balls of cuddle from my experience; funny thing as well as the lady who rescued him (and had been feeding him as a Tom) said until he got injured she'd not been allowed to touch him. Now after the operation his favorite spot is to sleep sideways on the sofa only to come over every hour or so and demand you lift him up and give him head rubs; it's like the previous two years on the street never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Large males tend to be big balls of cuddle from my experience; funny thing as well as the lady who rescued him (and had been feeding him as a Tom) said until he got injured she'd not been allowed to touch him. Now after the operation his favorite spot is to sleep sideways on the sofa only to come over every hour or so and demand you lift him up and give him head rubs; it's like the previous two years on the street never happened.

Yeah I often say to my husband "Next time I want a male cat" but he always answers "We'll just take whoever needs us" - which is how we have acquired the current 2 divas, one lady abandoned by a neighbour and one lady we found living in the bin shed with kittens.

The abandoned one was owned by humans since kittenhood and hates to be touched AT ALL.

The bin lady loves to rub all over you and push her head at you and purr like mad but she likes her own space and isnt interested in PROPER cuddles.

Some day a male will show up Im sure ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement