Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance - They require copy of tax disc?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Rogue_IRL wrote: »
    Can't tax car online Millington as tax is expired more than 3 mths and so I have to pay in person at local tax office where they look for a copy of insurance cert.

No, they don't.

You already have a policy number, even if you don't have cert yet.

Should be somewhere in the paperwork you got from your new insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OK.. here's what you do.

Either tax it for 3 months (paying the back taxes) or sell it to a family member (for 1 EUR) and send off the logbook

Once the family member gets the book back in their name, they sell the car back to you and you send the book off again

You will then get the book back in your name and tax is only due from the date ownership was transferred to your name.

Lots of threads here about it (it's a grey area but AFAIK the powers that be are well aware of this loophole but have done nothing about it). Note though that this won't happen in the 10 days so your choice will be to cancel the insurance and wait it out, or pay the tax and arrears in person at the tax office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Pagliuca

Can't tax car online Millington as tax is expired more than 3 mths and so I have to pay in person at local tax office where they look for a copy of insurance cert.

I taxed my car last week and it's out since December 2015. Where are you getting this idea you can't tax a car online if it's expired by more that 3 months? It's not true.

Fill in any old sh1te on the insurance part. It makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rogue_IRL

Pagliuca wrote: »
    I taxed my car last week and it's out since December 2015. Where are you getting this idea you can't tax a car online if it's expired by more that 3 months? It's not true.

Fill in any old sh1te on the insurance part. It makes no difference.

I'm getting this idea from the Motortax.ie website.
    I don't have a PIN to tax this vehicle online as I haven't taxed the vehicle since I bought it a few months ago.
    When I fill in the fields looking to get a PIN from the website it says;

"PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    The tax on this vehicle expired more than 3 months ago. Your motor tax transaction must be completed through your local motor tax office."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I'm getting this idea from the Motortax.ie website.
    I don't have a PIN to tax this vehicle online as I haven't taxed the vehicle since I bought it a few months ago.
    When I fill in the fields looking to get a PIN from the website it says;

"PIN Retrieval Unsuccessful
    The tax on this vehicle expired more than 3 months ago. Your motor tax transaction must be completed through your local motor tax office."

Use the last 6 letters/digits of the vin number....worked for me last week the vrt wad paid the day before

• Advertisement

Anyways, resolved finally, for anyone interested...
    I cancelled the policy with the insurers and just renewed my old policy even though it was slightly more expensive, but at least they're not looking for a current tax disc. Am also getting a full refund on the deposit paid to the other insurers, incl. the €55 set up fee they initially advised I would not be entitled to a refund for. But I argued that I was sold the policy and the money was deducted BEFORE I was made aware of them looking for a copy of the tax disc.

Where things gets really infuriating though, in both cases the policy was being underwritten by the same underwriters, but only one of the sellers required a current tax disc. WTAF?!?!?

I was aware that some people do a dodge on the logbook by selling it back and over with the log book to avoid paying motor tax, but I don't want to dodge any tax, I do want to pay it. Just cannot afford at the minute for another few weeks.

Thank you to all the helpful contributors.

The Irish Motor Insurance Industry - is there a more infuriating & unscrupulous gang of scutterboxes that we, the public, have to deal with?
    I got scalded with the Setanta Insurace thingy a couple years back too.

lollsangel wrote: »
    Use the last 6 letters/digits of the vin number....worked for me last week the vrt wad paid the day before

Just out of curiosity Lollsangel, I tried to log in just now using the last 6 digits of the VIN on the logbook as the PIN and it won't allow me, saying the details are incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I renewed my insurance with 123.ie and they asked me for a photo of both my tax and nct discs. I taxed the car for the year last September and the test doesn't expire until October 2017. I thought it was a strange request but I just emailed it to them from my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Just out of curiosity Lollsangel, I tried to log in just now using the last 6 digits of the VIN on the logbook as the PIN and it won't allow me, saying the details are incorrect.

I used the ones on the windscreen it was like j73431 I thought it wouldnt work bcos it has a letter but it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That only works for the first tax disc after paying the VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Anyways, resolved finally, for anyone interested...
    I cancelled the policy with the insurers and just renewed my old policy even though it was slightly more expensive, but at least they're not looking for a current tax disc. Am also getting a full refund on the deposit paid to the other insurers, incl. the €55 set up fee they initially advised I would not be entitled to a refund for. But I argued that I was sold the policy and the money was deducted BEFORE I was made aware of them looking for a copy of the tax disc.

Where things gets really infuriating though, in both cases the policy was being underwritten by the same underwriters, but only one of the sellers required a current tax disc. WTAF?!?!?

I was aware that some people do a dodge on the logbook by selling it back and over with the log book to avoid paying motor tax, but I don't want to dodge any tax, I do want to pay it. Just cannot afford at the minute for another few weeks.

Thank you to all the helpful contributors.

The Irish Motor Insurance Industry - is there a more infuriating & unscrupulous gang of scutterboxes that we, the public, have to deal with?
    I got scalded with the Setanta Insurace thingy a couple years back too.

Good that you got it resolved, but the length of time the tax is out is irrelevant, as the tax starts from zero when the car ownership is transferred. What happened here was that you did not tax the car in time after the transfer. You are NOT responsible for taxes unpaid by previous owner. Also, I would say it's a bigger offense to be driving the car without tax. If you can't afford to tax it, you can't afford to drive it.

goz83 wrote: »
    Good that you got it resolved, but the length of time the tax is out is irrelevant, as the tax starts from zero when the car ownership is transferred. What happened here was that you did not tax the car in time after the transfer. You are NOT responsible for taxes unpaid by previous owner. Also, I would say it's a bigger offense to be driving the car without tax. If you can't afford to tax it, you can't afford to drive it.

You're making a few unfounded assumptions here Goz83......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Why are you wasting money insuring the car now if you wont be using it until you can afford to tax it?

Insuring it 3rd party fire & theft, in case it get's, well, stolen or goes on fire...

You're making a few unfounded assumptions here Goz83......

Enlighten me.

The car was already insured by your current insurer. You have owned the car over a month (otherwise you'd have been able to tax it online). It's certainly possible you're not using it, but if I was cash strapped, I know I wouldn't be insuring a car I wasn't going to be driving....but that's just me. Insuring against theft and fire alone is not a bad idea.

You are only liable for the taxes owed since the start of the month you took ownership. So it's 3 months ahead plus X months arrears.

I dunno if you've read the full thread from the beginning there goz.
    Not sure what point you're trying to make about the taxes owed, I'm not disputing any of the taxes owed and am well aware of how much tax I have to pay and will be paying once I have enough money put together to do so in a few weeks. Nor did I ever think I was liable for unpaid taxes by previous owner.

The car is parked in front of the house on the side of the road, which also happens to be on a bend but there's nowhere else to park it. It's still on our property but, close to the edge of the road, but still completely on our property. So it's no harm at all in insuring it 3rd party fire & theft, anyone taking the corner too fast or meeting an oncoming vehicle...etc...
    Your comment that "If you can't afford to tax it, you can't afford to drive it" isn't helpful at all and is just pedantic, unnecessary & smart-arsey for the sake of smugness and being smart-arsey.

I'm not someone who likes to 'dodge' tax or any other civic payment, nor some boy-racer or whatever trying to pull any kind of a stroke or stunt. I'm just someone who has come under financial hardship in the past 12 months as a result of ill-health, and sometimes some people find it hard to make all ends meet, but we do our best as we can.

If you'd bothered to read the full thread you would've seen that my gripe was more to do with the insurers sold me a policy & took deposit payment having advised me on the phone that they just required a copy of my licence & no claims bonus cert. It was only after payment of deposit was made that they informed me that they also required a copy of tax disc, which, obviously given all detailed, I wasn't in a position to provide. I am now without the value of the deposit paid for the policy I had to cancel and am out of pocket for this amount for the 5-7 working days they are telling me it will take them to refund it.

Perhaps your reading too much into my post while in a heightened emotional state, partially resulting from the insurance company blind siding you. Understandable.

My comments on tax were because you said you couldn't pay it online due to the arrears. I was clearing up any possible confusion on the matter, as you seemed to suggest it was out more than 3 months and seemed to suggest your bought the car more recently.

Plenty of us have fallen on hard times and some due to ill health (myself included). Maybe take a chill pill and, wait for your refund and tax your car in the tax office when you can afford to. Have a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Once a VLC has been issued the PIN becomes the last 6 digits of the VLC number.....not the VIN number.
    If you try and tax your car online next time it's due the PIN will no longer be the last 6 digits of the VIN.
    Not having a go at your post, just putting it out there how the PIN system works.

goz83 wrote: »
    Perhaps your reading too much into my post while in a heightened emotional state, partially resulting from the insurance company blind siding you. Understandable.

My comments on tax were because you said you couldn't pay it online due to the arrears. I was clearing up any possible confusion on the matter, as you seemed to suggest it was out more than 3 months and seemed to suggest your bought the car more recently.

Plenty of us have fallen on hard times and some due to ill health (myself included). Maybe take a chill pill and, wait for your refund and tax your car in the tax office when you can afford to. Have a good one

Couldn't resist another ill-informed, unhelpful, unnecessary, pedantic, @rseholey dig again there could you goz?
    Could argue your post further but these boards aren't the place for it. Nor do I have the patience for you.
    Easier just to IGNORE you further. Ignored.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Once a VLC has been issued the PIN becomes the last 6 digits of the VLC number.....not the VIN number.
    If you try and tax your car online next time it's due the PIN will no longer be the last 6 digits of the VIN.
    Not having a go at your post, just putting it out there how the PIN system works.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the VLC number mgbgt1978? Would be handy to know so that I can tax it online when the time comes, instead of having to drive the hour to the local motor tax office.

• Advertisement

Couldn't resist another ill-informed, unhelpful, unnecessary, pedantic, @rseholey dig again there could you goz?
    Could argue your post further but these boards aren't the place for it. Nor do I have the patience for you.
    Easier just to IGNORE you further. Ignored.

:rolleyes:
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's the VLC number mgbgt1978? Would be handy to know so that I can tax it online when the time comes, instead of having to drive the hour to the local motor tax office.

That would be your log book...:just to be helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's on the top right on the front of the VLC (your registration cert). Usually a letter followed by 7 numbers. Although, if it's possible to tax the car online (ie. it hasn't expired by more than a month in your ownership.....I think) the motortax.ie system should provide you with it anyway.

Ah nice one, cheers mgbgt1978, Tried it there and it let me in.

Advertisement