Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Rush/Lusk

Options
  • 13-05-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I'm looking for advice on areas and estates in lusk and Rush.

We are considering a move to lusk or rush. We have two young children not yet school going.

Can anyone advise of nice housing estates that are pyrite free?
    I know chapel farm in lusk have had pyrite and I think golden ridge in rush have.
    Is there any more we should avoid?

Also what's the parking like at rush lusk train station?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Hi

I'm looking for advice on areas and estates in lusk and Rush.

We are considering a move to lusk or rush. We have two young children not yet school going.

Can anyone advise of nice housing estates that are pyrite free?
    I know chapel farm in lusk have had pyrite and I think golden ridge in rush have.
    Is there any more we should avoid?

Also what's the parking like at rush lusk train station?

Thanks in advance

Hi Adrienne, I cannot speak for Chapel Farm but I do know that the builder in Golden Ridge has carried out extensive pyrite remediation works on any of the unsold houses and they are now certified pyrite free.
    There is usually ample parking at the station since it was extended a few years ago. If you are commuting to city centre, the 33x is handy in the mornings and evenings though you will struggle to get a seat as it goes through Lusk.

I have been living in Rush the last 8 years and it has a lovely community spirit - nice pubs and restaurants (and take aways) and it has sports clubs, a lovely new library etc,

Someone else may be able to offer you an opinion on Lusk. Feel free to PM me if you require any further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Dun Emer is pyrite free as far as I know, and Orlynn park is too, as it's older.
    There might also be houses that have had the pyrite remediated in Chapel Farm and Lusk village estate.

There's loads of parking at the train station, but the 33x is faster.

There's 2 national schools in Lusk, a new Educate together building and the national school. There's a plan to build a new national school, dunno if it'll happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

Lusk Village also has pyrite, albeit at different stages depending on the house. Not sure if mortgages are available on houses that have had remedial works for pyrite. I live in Dun Emer, its nice and quiet, but the new estate on the ring road, called The Forge, is lovely if you're looking for a brand new home. Same developers that built Dun Emer - Dwyer Nolan. Great location for walks or bike rides. We are blessed in Dun Emer that there's no pyrite and it's maintained by the council, not a management company. Good luck house hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I know chapel farm in lusk have had pyrite and I think golden ridge in rush have.
    Is there any more we should avoid?...
    Tayleurs Point in Rush had pyrite problems but I think it has now been remedied.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955268?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Both villages are good places to live.

I have lived in Rush all my life and think it has so much going for it. Great sports clubs and organisations, theatre, Library, 5 schools between primary, Gael scoil and secondary. Excellent beachs and walks from Rush to Loughshinny or from Rogerstown out along the estuary. There are decent pubs and good Restaurants.

30-40 Minute drive from O'Connel st. There is a good bus service and the train station has ample parking.

The house market is decent enough with some nice houses coming on the market. Tayleurs point has been cleared of Pyrite and substantial work carried out in other estates. Not all houses in some areas had pyrite but 1 or 2 estates had a big problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    Lusk Village also has pyrite, albeit at different stages depending on the house. Not sure if mortgages are available on houses that have had remedial works for pyrite. I live in Dun Emer, its nice and quiet, but the new estate on the ring road, called The Forge, is lovely if you're looking for a brand new home. Same developers that built Dun Emer - Dwyer Nolan. Great location for walks or bike rides. We are blessed in Dun Emer that there's no pyrite and it's maintained by the council, not a management company. Good luck house hunting!

Was out looking at estates and while The Forge looks great online its one of the most soulless/characterless estates Ive seen. Theres nothing to it, no green areas etc. Im not sure of the name of the very large estate (that its linked to by an open gateway) which has large green areas for kids but if I was paying the price asked for the Forge I'd expect a lot more besides a nice house. Just my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

While Lusk Village has Pyrite, it is in my opinion the nicest estate in Lusk. Its kept well, has great grass area's for the kids and is reasonably safe (as these things go)

Dun Emer is very run down looking when you drive through it and from what i hear it is starting to get a bit rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The Forge adjoins Orlynn Park, their is a children's playground earmarked for the area fronting the Rathmore Rd and the Forge.
    Orlynn Park is a hive of activity all year round with the tennis and football being the main activities for children of all age's.
    I heard recently that planning has been approved for the completion of the Forge a futher 35 house's I think,also the site opposite on the other side of the Rathmore Rd at the Dublin Rd roundabout is to be all weather football training pitch's etc for the community,being built by the developer of the Forge as part of its planning consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Dun Emer houses are by far the nicest of the "newer" houses in Lusk , they are mostly traditional semi detached with front gardens so you don't step out of your house onto the street , they are brick/concrete built so you don't tend to hear your neighbours using the bathroom like the wooden frame houses in the area
    http://neighbours.ie/forums/showthread.php?62576-Sound-proofing-what-a-joke

Dun Emer is maintained by the council, not a management company and I don't think it is run down , they were out painting the railings a few weeks ago and the green areas are well looked after, there are lots of kids playing on all the green areas , the shop and gym enhances the sense of community and it is a very friendly place to live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to agree with robbok, I've been in Dun Emer a lot recently and it's a very neighbourly and friendly estate. The houses are solidly built and a very good size. Lots of green space too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Was out looking at estates and while The Forge looks great online its one of the most soulless/characterless estates Ive seen. Theres nothing to it, no green areas etc. Im not sure of the name of the very large estate (that its linked to by an open gateway) which has large green areas for kids but if I was paying the price asked for the Forge I'd expect a lot more besides a nice house. Just my two cents...
    There's also farms near by so don't buy if you are going to complain about bangers.

What are "bangers" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are gas-powered units that make a loud bang (like a shotgun blast) every 15 mins or so to scare birds away from the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Personally, I find slurrying season far more unpleasant than the bangers.

The smell only lasts a day or so. Bangers can go on for some time.

Still, it is all part of the rich tapestry of semi-rural life. :)

Hello,

So obviously a few 'locals', hope you could answer a few quick questions as we've been looking at properties around Rush and drawn towards a few in the town. Coming from a seaside town I'm hoping to bring up my family in such an environment, we've visited Rush a handful of times and love the feel of it and are wondering if:

The town is always quiet and a good place to rear young uns or the surrounding estates would be more suitable?
    The commute to the city be it by car, train or 33x is really 30 - 40 mins, we would be leaving before 7am, probably 6:30 - 6:45?
    The train station is a relaible option for parking and safe to do so?

I believe I've read all the current threads online and would really appreciate any help with the above or advice in general, many thanks in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd take the 33x from Rush, you'll get a seat, it won't take much longer than driving to the station and parking anyway, It takes the same or less time to get to the city centre as the train. It's cheaper than the train too.

Hey Carawaystick, so would 30-40 minutes be accurate for travel time?
    Is the centre of Rush quiet enough to bring up kids, the proximity to the beach is a massive plus?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hey Carawaystick, so would 30-40 minutes be accurate for travel time?
    Is the centre of Rush quiet enough to bring up kids, the proximity to the beach is a massive plus?

Cheers

I get on the 33x around 8:15 and am at my desk in the docklands by 9 most mornings.

Guaranteed a seat on the way in, but it can be tougher on the way home in the evenings.

The beach is a massive plus, but we're still waiting for them to sort out the sewage network, as at the moment it's all being pumped just off-shore. Contract is out to tender now I believe.

I get on the 33x around 8:15 and am at my desk in the docklands by 9 most mornings.

Guaranteed a seat on the way in, but it can be tougher on the way home in the evenings.

The beach is a massive plus, but we're still waiting for them to sort out the sewage network, as at the moment it's all being pumped just off-shore. Contract is out to tender now I believe.

That rings a bell now alright, they closed the beaches to swimmers during the summer, no? So is there a timeframe made public if the contracts out to tender?

Take it Rush is a quiet enough town, much happening at the weekends. Live music etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That rings a bell now alright, they closed the beaches to swimmers during the summer, no? So is there a timeframe made public if the contracts out to tender?

Take it Rush is a quiet enough town, much happening at the weekends. Live music etc?

It's all supposed to be sorted within the next couple of years, but that's been the case for a few years now.

It's a quiet enough town, but a good few pubs, some of which get bands in. Skerries is also just up the road, and plenty going on there too.

Appreciate the responses, was looking close to Kilbush Lane area of town but concerned of late night shenanigans if there were late night venues in the area (jes I've just crossed the line and sound like my dad).....

We have a 7 month old and am working in Kildare so just trying to make sure the move is right before pushing the button as we really feel we can settle here for good, could move closer to our work but love the "feel" in Rush.

Hello,

So obviously a few 'locals', hope you could answer a few quick questions as we've been looking at properties around Rush and drawn towards a few in the town. Coming from a seaside town I'm hoping to bring up my family in such an environment, we've visited Rush a handful of times and love the feel of it and are wondering if:

The town is always quiet and a good place to rear young uns or the surrounding estates would be more suitable?
    The commute to the city be it by car, train or 33x is really 30 - 40 mins, we would be leaving before 7am, probably 6:30 - 6:45?
    The train station is a relaible option for parking and safe to do so?

I believe I've read all the current threads online and would really appreciate any help with the above or advice in general, many thanks in advance....

Rush has a lot going for it. You have done some homework and I can say it is a good spot to raise children. There is plenty for them to do and join. The estates are fairly decent. I have never lived in an estate but I know every estate in town and they are all good. No matter where you choose there will always be one awkward neighbour to wreck your head. The advantage of living near the main street is everything is on your doorstep.

The big plus sides are the beachs, walks, clubs, schools and your only 30-40 minutes from the city.

Appreciate the responses, was looking close to Kilbush Lane area of town but concerned of late night shenanigans if there were late night venues in the area (jes I've just crossed the line and sound like my dad).....

We have a 7 month old and am working in Kildare so just trying to make sure the move is right before pushing the button as we really feel we can settle here for good, could move closer to our work but love the "feel" in Rush.

That would be a super area. I live 200 meters from Kilbush lane on the main street and noise is not a problem. My wife found it noisyish at the start but we dont hear anything in the street.

Think of it like this in another 12 months the 7 month old will be running up and down the beach..... tiring you out;)

And the postal service in the town is second to none! ;)

(Howya, Leo! You should pop in more often.)

So I'm gonna have to factor in my "Xmass dropsie for the postman" into the house price too....:)

Estate Agent mentioned that new shopping centre being built in town with Aldi as a base tenant, is there much talk of this or simply trying to sell the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...was looking close to Kilbush Lane area of town but concerned of late night shenanigans..
    Paddy, I live in the Kilbush Lane area. No problem with noise. An odd night you'll hear some jackass roaring and shouting but no different from any other area.

That goes without saying:)...... Best postie this side of the shannon

Aint enough hours in the day at the moment HB. I read some posts ok but time has been against me. Season over for me now so hopefully more time with camera and a few more visits.
    So I'm gonna have to factor in my "Xmass dropsie for the postman" into the house price too....:)

Bit like Tesco, every little helps
    Estate Agent mentioned that new shopping centre being built in town with Aldi as a base tenant, is there much talk of this or simply trying to sell the property?
    This is very quiet at the moment but have heard it been mentioned over the last week or two so maybe something is stirring.
    Paddy, I live in the Kilbush Lane area. No problem with noise. An odd night you'll hear some jackass roaring and shouting but no different from any other area.

Thats me shouting looking for the droppsie.

Good area and nice people around Kilbush.

So whats the conscensus on Finistere, seems very settled, good location?

• Advertisement

So whats the conscensus on Finistere, seems very settled, good location?

I live a few hundred yards from it and it is a very nice spot. Quiet with a good sized green in front of the house. It is well settled area with very nice residents living there. I would say a sought after area.

Close to everything 2 minutes from beach and harbour, Harbour bar just down the road. 5-7 minute walk to centre of Rush, 5 minutes to secondary school 10 minutes to primary school.

Advertisement