Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time OW swim

Options
  • 13-05-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just wondering where in Dublin would a good/safe place to practice ow swimming for a first timer??TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

db76 wrote: »
    Just wondering where in Dublin would a good/safe place to practice ow swimming for a first timer??TIA

Lots of good venues, none of which are safe for a first timer. I'm not joking; just today 4 experienced swimmers were swept out to sea and needed a lifeboat rescue.

Are you in a club? Most clubs will be organising group OW swims from May, under the experienced eye of an instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

Cheers, no unfortunately not in a club at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

db76 wrote: »

Less than an hour west of Dublin there are a number of (relatively) safe public swimming spots at inland lakes with piers + ladders and the possibility of staying close to shore without tides, etc.

If you are interested I can give you details of two locations close to me at Lough Owel and Lough Lene. My club has swimming at Lough Owel every Friday at 7pm, just off the main N4 past Mullingar. I'm biased but imo you will not find a better swimming location in Ireland than Lough Owel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Ok, well its a free country so Malahide, Dollymount, East Wall, Seapoint, Sandycove, 40 foot, etc etc. are all options. Sandycove has a small enclosed "harbour".

Golden rules; swim with company, know your limitations, respect the sea.

Keep an eye on Facebook for East Coast Open Water Swimming, Sub60 Swim, etc, who sometimes organise group swims. East Coast Open Water Swimming have a 1km TT in Greystones on 29th May which is suitable to all abilities and will have safety in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you have anyone to swim with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

Do you have anyone to swim with?

Yeah mate of mine in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

I'll be swimming off the north bull wall soon pm me if you need company - its pretty sheltered there, but it is very tide dependent, you only get about 90 minutes either side of highwater. Pulse tri club run an excellent aquathlon series during the summer there, great for getting used to swimming in a pack

pulsetri.com/club-races/bullwall-aquathlon/

sailing.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Dublin-May-2016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Seapoint.

Advertisement