Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training with DOMS

• 13-05-2016 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

So started with a personal trainer on wednesday. It was really the first time I had ever done any proper weight training.
    Did 8 reps x 3 sets deadlifts @ 30kg,
    split squats 12 x 3 sets with 8kg kettle belts in each hand.
    chin ups where I managed about 4

Also did some skipping and burpees.

Since the day after the session my muscles and in particular my legs and glutes have been in bits. Awful sore when sitting down or going up and down stairs. walking about ain't too fun either. Was sore yesterday but has gotten much worse today. Google tells me this is called DOMS.

Is it a good idea to continue training with very sore muscles are or could I be risking injury?

I would be talking about doing gaelic training or more gym work.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No don't do it. All you'd achieve is extending the pain; you're in recovery mode now. Rest until the pain is gone. The pain will not last as long the next time. Eventually you'll stop getting DOMS almost entirely unless you do something especially new and challenging.

Depending on how hard you went at it it could last all week, especially given that it's your first time, but that won't be the case going forward. Right now your body is like a teenager that had the covers pulled off them and the curtains thrown open: no idea what's going on or why it's so unpleasant.

EDIT:
    You know, a lot of this is just "common wisdom" that I am repeating - and my own experience of how horrible DOMS is and how training just seems like an awful idea - but I decided to do a little googling, and the ruling opinion seems to be that it's not actually a problem unless the pain would cause you to have bad form, which could result in injury. Personally I wouldn't do anything with DOMS that requires the muscles in question to do heavy work, for sheer avoidance of pain if anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zillah wrote: »
    No don't do it. All you'd achieve is extending the pain; you're in recovery mode now. Rest until the pain is gone. The pain will not last as long the next time. Eventually you'll stop getting DOMS almost entirely unless you do something especially new and challenging.

Depending on how hard you went at it it could last all week, especially given that it's your first time, but that won't be the case going forward. Right now your body is like a teenager that had the covers pulled off them and the curtains thrown open: no idea what's going on or why it's so unpleasant.

EDIT:
    You know, a lot of this is just "common wisdom" that I am repeating - and my own experience of how horrible DOMS is and how training just seems like an awful idea - but I decided to do a little googling, and the ruling opinion seems to be that it's not actually a problem unless the pain would cause you to have bad form, which could result in injury. Personally I wouldn't do anything with DOMS that requires the muscles in question to do heavy work, for sheer avoidance of pain if anything.

I have to disagree with this.

We always get our newbies to train thru their DOMS. Mostly because if they waited for it to go away it would be a week between each session, which means they'll adapt slower.

Tell your PT you're feeling like crap, get them to adjust the difficulty a bit and hunker down to deal with it. Perhaps even do an upper body only day.

DOMS is a normal part of training, never to be sought out, but will happen from time to time.

The best way to get rid of it and keep on your journey is to just get moving again ASAP.

Waiting for them to go away is usually the thing we ask our new clients to avoid.

Make sure you get 7-8hrs sleep per night, and get in some protein immediately after your workout too.

For the record, split squats are the most evil DOM inducing exercise you'll encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Hanley wrote: »

We always get our newbies to train thru their DOMS. Mostly because if they waited for it to go away it would be a week between each session, which means they'll adapt slower.

Tell your PT you're feeling like crap, get them to adjust the difficulty a bit and hunker down to deal with it. Perhaps even do an upper body only day.

DOMS is a normal part of training, never to be sought out, but will happen from time to time.

The best way to get rid of it and keep on your journey is to just get moving again ASAP.

Waiting for them to go away is usually the thing we ask our new clients to avoid.

Make sure you get 7-8hrs sleep per night, and get in some protein immediately after your workout too.

For the record, split squats are the most evil DOM inducing exercise you'll encounter.

Thanks I ask as I'm due to have gaelic training tonight and then a game sunday morning so was thinking it might be a better option to sit out the training or do very light stuff tonight and hopefully the muscles may be less sore by sunday, I have sore muscles before after going back for pre season football training and a few months off but Ive never had them this sore before. It's very sore bending down to pick something off the floor etc. I wouldnt wait until the DOMS have totally gone just until it starts to settle down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be honest, I'd just get moving again and see how it goes.

I've often found that it's not as debilitating when you get going as it is when you're mooching about at work and you think you're suffering from a painful form of rigor mortis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭COH

+1 to all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah I'd defer to these two.

Advertisement