Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkmore West access road traffic

Options
  • 13-05-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭

For those who are interested, the An Bord Pleanala documents about the appeals lodged against the planned new Parkmore West access road have now been loaded to the County Council planning site.

http://gccapps.galwaycoco.ie/viewexternaldocuments/ReposITPlanningDocs?RefNo=16170

Two main issues from my reading:

Cyclists aren't happy about the narrow cycle lanes (1m is ridiculous) and the wide curves on the junction, which encourage cars to speed. They've also pointed out that the designers apparently can't do simple arithmetic.

Residents are scared that people will exit left out and then do U-turns a bit further up the road. And want a pedestrian crossing, and for big trucks to not go up their road.

Not ridiculous concerns, IMHO.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

For those who are interested, the An Bord Pleanala documents about the appeals lodged against the planned new Parkmore West access road have now been loaded to the County Council planning site.

http://gccapps.galwaycoco.ie/viewexternaldocuments/ReposITPlanningDocs?RefNo=16170

Two main issues from my reading:

Cyclists aren't happy about the narrow cycle lanes (1m is ridiculous) and the wide curves on the junction, which encourage cars to speed. They've also pointed out that the designers apparently can't so simple arithmetic.

Residents are scared that people will exit left out and then do U-turns a bit further up the road. And want a pedestrian crossing, and for big trucks to not go up their road.

Not ridiculous concerns, IMHO.

They've also pointed out that the designers apparently can't DO simple arithmetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Yep, it also doesn't solve any problems for people want to get to the Briarhill side. If anything its just going to push more traffic down to the traffic lights at the crossroads where the Tuam road meets Bothar Na Treabh. Which is just moving the problem rather than doing anything to solve it, which is also reason enough I think to object to this idea.

Also agree about the 1m cycle paths, more dangerous than having no cycle path at all IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

the problem in Parkmore is that the Monavia / Briarhill junction backs up into the estate and every single plant carpark there, a left turn relief road will do nothing to alleviate this bockage

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Before i invest my time to read all of the two articles do you care to share the motives / your involvement in the 2 articles as from initial glance they are very very one sided so not sure if it is worth my while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Before i invest my time to read all of the two articles do you care to share the motives / your involvement in the 2 articles as from initial glance they are very very one sided so not sure if it is worth my while

Wont be worth your while. Surprised you even managed to "glance" at them on the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

An Bord Pleanála have refused permission for the link road. Looks like we have to endure more traffic congestion nightmare. Will this ever end?

In fairness though, a few of us here never really saw how this was going to help, not that much traffic heads towards the N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It will end when some competent road-engineers are engaged to design a proper solution. The idea that was put forward and has just been rejected was not that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hmmmm - and here I thought that the congestion was towards the Briarhill/Monivea Rd. and not towards the Tuam Rd. :confused:

Stone wrote: »
    Hmmmm - and here I thought that the congestion was towards the Briarhill/Monivea Rd. and not towards the Tuam Rd. :confused:

True, perhaps IDA is similar to the local authority mindset of spending the 2017 budget.
    Now the other question, will it be designed correctly this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the additional lane does benefit people heading toward the Tuam Rd, it will help some people anyways. And if it convinced some people heading toward the city to take the Tuam Rd instead of going down Parkmore Rd, it would help somewhat.

Interesting that they can do one extra lane without planning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

10 to 20% of people turn left at the roundabout. This will help them and also speed up people going to the roundabout and turning right

cooperguy wrote: »
    10 to 20% of people turn left at the roundabout. This will help them and also speed up people going to the roundabout and turning right

Yeah - so 80-90% are turning right and it won't help much to filter out the few left-turners as the vast majority is still stuck ....
    Good idea to spend money and effort on sorting out the few [first] instead of addressing the REAL issue (the 80-90%) *sarcasm*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Yeah - so 80-90% are turning right and it won't help much to filter out the few left-turners as the vast majority is still stuck ....
    Good idea to spend money and effort on sorting out the few [first] instead of addressing the REAL issue (the 80-90%) *sarcasm*
    Its almost as if there are solutions that can happen quickly and solutions that will take a long time because they are a much bigger job. And the solutions that can happen quickly would happen first, crazy that...

While ~20% turn left it will also help get traffic moving out of the estate quicker as well. so everyone should benefit somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Work is starting over the Christmas holidays apparently, there'll be one big clusterf**k to come back to in January I'll bet.....

UsBus wrote: »
    Work is starting over the Christmas holidays apparently, there'll be one big clusterf**k to come back to in January I'll bet.....

Have ya seen the detailed plans for it? The e-tender tender looks like a lot of line painting will be done.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=121301&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

WORKS TO ALLEVIATE TRAFFIC CONGESTION IN PARKMORE TO BEGIN ON MONDAY

https://galwaybayfm.ie/works-alleviate-traffic-congestion-parkmore-begin-monday/

The article includes a drawing of the proposed works. Would anyone know the source?

I've found more info on the city Council website

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/851/59/Parkmore-Access-Improvements/d,News Detail

But still haven't located the detailed drawings

• Advertisement

But still haven't located the detailed drawings

This was sent around to my Workplace in Parkmore today.
    20180206_Phase 1D PTAG Briefing Note.pdf

It has some more detail than the PR on the Galway City.

FYI the cross section on Page 2 is INCORRECT, cross section on Page 3 is CORRECT

Noel Grealish was on the wireless earlier talking about this and suggesting that the junction on the Tuam Road is going to get lights.

Work in Parkmore should start during the school midterm and should be done by Easter.

I honestly fail to see how a left turn lane will alleviate traffic congestion as from my observations driving there every day the problem is with traffic going to the right towards Ballybrit ???

Basically wasted taxpayer €€ .......

Noel Grealish was on the wireless earlier talking about this and suggesting that the junction on the Tuam Road is going to get lights.

Seems a logical step

I honestly fail to see how a left turn lane will alleviate traffic congestion as from my observations driving there every day the problem is with traffic going to the right towards Ballybrit ???

Basically wasted taxpayer €€ .......
    All cars have to queue to the roundabout whether they are turning left or right.

Cars turning left are held up by those turning right. Those turning right are delayed by those queuing unnecessarily ahead of them.

Did he mention the Bus Lane that is meant to commence at these suggested lights on the N83 at Hazelwood and that is meant to go all the way into Flemings (N6/N83 junction)?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I look forward to people using that far left lane to go straight over

Advertisement