Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading advice

Options
  • 13-05-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on upgrading my pc. I currently have an amd processor, but the motherboard is starting to act up after 5 years so looking to change. I have an ssd and 8gb of ddr3 ram, so looking to keep these. Usage is mainly browsing and watching videos, bit occasionally some cad work too.
    Looking for recommendations for a processor and mb. Will something like a pent-up be sufficient, or should I look to an i3, or even go quad core with an i5?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

How is it acting up?
    It might be a simple fix.
    Do you have a SSD already? Adding one of these and a clean install of Windows might breath some life back into your current system for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Hi, can't access bios and cpu fan run nine very fast (and loud). Have an SSD drive already. Performance wise current system is ok (bit slow on cad) but not being able to access bios is be owing an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there some form of fast boot enabled maybe, which skips bios checks etc?

Tried to find the setting. Downloaded msi fastboot, but when I run it it says it's not compatible with my motherboard. Changing jumpers on board to reset cmos didn't help either.

Think I've settled in a new build, just want to make sure everything will work OK. Proposed build is:
    In Win BM677 ITX Case (Black)
    ASUS H110I-PLUS D3 (DDR3) Socket 1151 ITX
    Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual Core Socket 1151

Will reuse dvd drive, SSD, hdd and ram from current build.
    Any issues with this build?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tipperary wrote: »
    Think I've settled in a new build, just want to make sure everything will work OK. Proposed build is:
    In Win BM677 ITX Case (Black)
    ASUS H110I-PLUS D3 (DDR3) Socket 1151 ITX
    Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual Core Socket 1151

Will reuse dvd drive, SSD, hdd and ram from current build.
    Any issues with this build?
    Thanks

Using your old DDR3 might damage the CPU's IMC.

I suggest buying DDR4 RAM & a DDR4 motherboard, the price has fallen to below €30/8Gb now.

Advertisement