Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretch Marks

Options
  • 13-05-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

So not at a stage where bump has even started to show, but just wondering if anyone further along has any recommendations to reduce the possibilities of stretch marks? I had previously tried Palmer's Cocca Butter (the was nearly 14 years ago) is there anything new to the market?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

stickybean wrote: »
    So not at a stage where bump has even started to show, but just wondering if anyone further along has any recommendations to reduce the possibilities of stretch marks? I had previously tried Palmer's Cocca Butter (the was nearly 14 years ago) is there anything new to the market?

I swear by bio oil! Lashed it all over me every night. From when I was 12 weeks. I never got a stretch mark in either of my 2 pregnancies. Having said that, that may have been due to genetics (my mum never got them either) as I've heard stretch marks are hereditary... As opposed to bio oils magical powers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Like Sligo said I think alot of it is down to genetics! My mam got none on five of us and I got none on my first and touch wood almost 36 weeks on my second and none so far.

Saying that every little helps, i've heard bio oil is the go to alright, a friend of my is so prone to stretch marks she got them in puberty from just growing and she says it's great. I've been using the body shop vitamin e body cream on my bump this time round and it is just gorgeous. Vitamin E is meant to be great for repairing skin anyway so can't hurt. It's in one of those flat pink tubs the body butters come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Digs wrote: »
    Like Sligo said I think alot of it is down to genetics! My mam got none on five of us and I got none on my first and touch wood almost 36 weeks on my second and none so far.

Saying that every little helps, i've heard bio oil is the go to alright, a friend of my is so prone to stretch marks she got them in puberty from just growing and she says it's great. I've been using the body shop vitamin e body cream on my bump this time round and it is just gorgeous. Vitamin E is meant to be great for repairing skin anyway so can't hurt. It's in one of those flat pink tubs the body butters come in.

Its funny now actually that you mention puberty. I got them during puberty. On my arse and thighs! But not one when I was pregnant. So maybe it did have something to do with the oil? But I'd say it's mostly genetics....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Its funny now actually that you mention puberty. I got them during puberty. On my arse and thighs! But not one when I was pregnant. So maybe it did have something to do with the oil? But I'd say it's mostly genetics....

Oh that is funny, you might be right! I believe there's definitely something in the bio oil alright though. My poor friend got them on her back and boobs, thighs, everywhere! If she loses weight or fluctuates she gets them still. She hasn't children yet but she's terrified how she'll end up, she could be fine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I find this stuff great

10127579?wid=200&hei=200&op_sharpen=1

It smells really nice and it doesn't have parabens or other nasty ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Bio oil and aveeno are my two picks when I remember! Like a few others was lucky to have avoided them on my last pregnancy and so far none with this pregnancy, but during growth spurts in my pre teens I got a few. My mom didn't get one on any of her pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

Oh I am so going to get stretch marks. Never realised that until now! Busting out of my jeans already at 7 weeks too. I'll probably try this stuff http://www.boots.ie/en/Weleda-Stretch-Mark-Massage-Oil-1-x-100ml_1143976/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's nothing to do with the size of your bump. It's genetic. I got a few but they fade away over time. I wouldn't notice them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

It's genes... I have none and have three children... My sister has none either and she has two

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I got the short straw with this stuff. Desperate cellulite, stretch marks etc in my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Didn't get one on my first, got a few which have now faded on my second. Lashed on biooil both times. It's really the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

If you're using something, don't forget your legs!!! I couldn't believe it but I got stretch marks on my thighs! Now I had put a good bit of weight. Couldn't walk properly due to SPD and was a terrible winter so wasn't outside a lot either near the end. But just in case, if you're doing the bump, do the thighs!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I got mine from being fat in my early 20s - not a single new one while pregnant, it was like I was just filling out my old skin again!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I agree it is largely down to luck / genetics. However I used the clairins oil and loved it. Lovely smell and a little goes a long way. A nice treat as u get humongous :) I didn't get stretch marks after my two.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Another bio oil fan. Didn't get a single stretch mark. Probably genetic too as mum got none on any of us but my sister did get them on her first.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

I had my first antenatal class in the Rotunda this morning and she touched an stretch marks briefly so I'll pass on her advice....

When she asked the class if anyone worried about stretch marks everyone (more or less) said yes and she asked what we were using, most people (including me!) said BioOil.... she kind of laughed slightly and said these companies are making a fortune from pregnant woman and said you might as well throw it in the bin. There's nothing that can prevent them, it's all genetics but she said if you want to use something to moisturise your skin (because we all love to slap something on after a shower!!), you're better off using something un-perfumed as your skin can be quiet sensitive during pregnancy (things are bad enough without adding more lotions and potions to your skin to irritate it). She recommended using Aveeno (with the blue label, 'skin relief' I think she said) if you wanted to use something, it was a product that they advised cancer sufferers to use as it didn't irritate the skin and was fairly inexpensive.

So there you go... not sure I'll be throwing my BioOil away just yet as I love the smell and it hasn't made me break out in a rash but might pop a bit of Aveeno on too.... I'm sure it will make my skin feel good and anything feeling remotely nice at the moment is welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

I slathered myself in bio oil on my two previous pregnancies, spent a small fortune on it and cocoa butter etc but still got stretch marks. I have reluctantly accepted I'm just one of those people destined for stretch marks no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If it's any consolation my lower tummy and both breasts had serious stretch marks after my second pregnancy, but they've completely faded now and I can barely see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another fan of bio oil here. I don't use it everyday as don't like the smell of it but definitely helps keep my tummy smoother as I notice a different if I just use normal moisturiser. 35 weeks + no stretch marks yet but I have probably jinxed myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Heard it was all genetics too! Also was told bio oil doesn't hydrate the skin and your skin will need moisture to stretch. It's really only for after and reducing the redness of the marks.

I got stretch marks in college when I got fat, but zero on my first pregnancy and so far none on this one (33 weeks)

My skin is dry tho and I get patches of eczema during pregnancy. Last time I used a moisturiser from boots called mum and me (?) but this time with a toddler I don't have time to be standing around waiting for moisturiser to dry in , so I'm using a Nivea in shower one which im finding great.

Also agree to moisturise your boobs and thighs as they can get big fast also like your bump!

• Advertisement
Advertisement