Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Scheme

Options
  • 13-05-2016 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How does the HAP Scheme work? I find it confusing. To those on the HAP Scheme, do you make two payments, one for the landlords and one for the county council? because I was told that today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Have just signed up to this scheme in the last couple of wks so hope the following helps......

Council wil pay your LL maximum rent limit monthly based on your family size / location. If the LL charges more than the current council limit you pay the difference to LL yourself.
    You also pay a weekly rent contribution to the council - roughly 10% of household weekly income

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

fifi28 wrote: »
    Have just signed up to this scheme in the last couple of wks so hope the following helps......

Council wil pay your LL maximum rent limit monthly based on your family size / location. If the LL charges more than the current council limit you pay the difference to LL yourself.
    You also pay a weekly rent contribution to the council - roughly 10% of household weekly income

I thought it was absolutely against the rules for the tenant to pay any extra to the LL?

fussyonion wrote: »
    I thought it was absolutely against the rules for the tenant to pay any extra to the LL?

Not with the HAP scheme. It was one of the first questions I asked as the council limits are not on par with market rents. I was basically told that they will pay their max limit and then its up to us whether we pay a top up on a property or find somewhere cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fussyonion wrote: »

Citizens Information site doesn't specify either way - it just says:
    "In general, the rent must be within the HAP rent limits for your household size and the area you live in. The limits are generally based on the limits for Rent Supplement and are set out in the Housing Assistance Payment (Amendment) Regulations 2016 (pdf). In certain specified local authority areas , these Regulations allow for flexibility where suitable accommodation cannot be found for a household within the HAP rent limits. Also, as noted above, there is flexibility for homeless households in the Dublin region.

You will pay a weekly HAP rent contribution to the local authority, based on your household’s weekly income, calculated in the same way as standard local authority differential rents. This rent will vary in accordance with your income."
    ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

The obvious legal option for top-up payments is that HAP simply provides for the place to meet minimum standards for rented housing. If the landlord is providing more than this - eg beds, tables, chairs, bookshelves, sofa, a dryer even though there's a private yard, kettle, toaster, delph, a toilet seat, lawn-mowing, etc - then the tenant could have a private arrangement with the landlord covering the cost of renting these items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marty the Pole

fifi28 wrote: »
    If the LL charges more than the current council limit you pay the difference to LL yourself.

Hi.

I'm just signing up for this, and just wondering- how does it work for you?
    How long it took to process?
    Are the contributions @ 10% in your case?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi.

I'm just signing up for this, and just wondering- how does it work for you?
    How long it took to process?
    Are the contributions @ 10% in your case?

Thanks

Hi there,

In our case we are paying approximately 10% of our total weekly income (only 1 earner in my house) by direct debit to the council every week and then we pay a small top up payment to our landlord at the end of the month - council pay direct to her on the last wed of every month and then we lodge top up on the same day/day before or after. They are fully aware that a top up payment is made as their limit is slightly below our monthly rent.
    In our case it took about 8 weeks in total from application to first payment - I did keep in contact with both the council and landlord to keep things moving along, the landlord does need to supply a bit of paperwork so helps if they are on top of things

Hope that helps you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marty the Pole

Thanks very much for quick response, I hope that in my case contribution will be roughly the same, so it all would be worth all the hassle.
    :)

Thanks very much for quick response, I hope that in my case contribution will be roughly the same, so it all would be worth all the hassle.
    :)

No problem, your weekly payment should be the same.
    Just to give you an example:
    If our weekly income is €500 then our council payment would be €50 per wk but if our income increases for instance from a pay rise or a second income to say €700 then our wkly payment would be €70 per wk.
    They do annual checks as far as I am aware to check incomes - my other half is on a fixed salary so his income doesnt change and better chance of winning the lotto then getting a wage increase :)
    If your weekly income fluctuates then they will work out an average 10% based on a few payslips

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Andy2006

Hi, lads.
    There is a question. My LL wants me to move out in August 2017, cause she wants to increase the Rent in 200 or 300 euros on that time. Now she is not able to do that cause we have a new Lease Agreement already since last August...
    I am on Rent Allowance at the moment for last 12 months. LL wants me to pay from August 2017 in 300 euros more, I have to pay that money by myself...or I have to find other accommodation. But I would want to sign a new Agreement with HAP and LL and to keep current accommodation.
    Cause Rent Allowance is not allowing me to pay my own extra money to LL...
    So, if HAP is really doing deal with that kind of circumstances as I have, may I try to ask them for it now?
    or better idea to wait for October when my Lease Agreement will gonna to finish?
    One more info that I will going to do a FAS/SOLAS course from December till March. And may I ask for HAP scheme in that conditions?
    So, after that Course I hope I will get a job. But I found that HAP is helping you with Rent Supplement if you can loose a job again.... and its very useful for me and my family.
    My partner is on Care Allowance, cause our daughter is disable.
    And finally how much money HAP will pay if Rent will gonna be 1400 per month and the present Maximum HAP Limit is for rent 1050 euros per month? And me on a dole with 188 euros p/w and the partner on Care Allowance with 204 euros p/w, it means total is 393euros and 1400-1050=350
    So we will pay this our own 350 euros to our LL per month?
    How do you find that needs to pay only 10% p/w???
    In my case its 21% p/w!!!!
    Thx for any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clean air

Are you allowed pay the difference to the landlord if your rent is not within the prescribed limits? Can you continue to get HAP if you decide you need to find different accommodation within 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Andy2006 wrote: »
    Hi, lads.
    There is a question. My LL wants me to move out in August 2017, cause she wants to increase the Rent in 200 or 300 euros on that time. Now she is not able to do that cause we have a new Lease Agreement already since last August...
    I am on Rent Allowance at the moment for last 12 months. LL wants me to pay from August 2017 in 300 euros more, I have to pay that money by myself...or I have to find other accommodation. But I would want to sign a new Agreement with HAP and LL and to keep current accommodation.
    Cause Rent Allowance is not allowing me to pay my own extra money to LL...
    So, if HAP is really doing deal with that kind of circumstances as I have, may I try to ask them for it now?
    or better idea to wait for October when my Lease Agreement will gonna to finish?
    One more info that I will going to do a FAS/SOLAS course from December till March. And may I ask for HAP scheme in that conditions?
    So, after that Course I hope I will get a job. But I found that HAP is helping you with Rent Supplement if you can loose a job again.... and its very useful for me and my family.
    My partner is on Care Allowance, cause our daughter is disable.
    And finally how much money HAP will pay if Rent will gonna be 1400 per month and the present Maximum HAP Limit is for rent 1050 euros per month? And me on a dole with 188 euros p/w and the partner on Care Allowance with 204 euros p/w, it means total is 393euros and 1400-1050=350
    So we will pay this our own 350 euros to our LL per month?
    How do you find that needs to pay only 10% p/w???
    In my case its 21% p/w!!!!
    Thx for any answers.

I have just moved county and was told that as I have been on Rent Allowance I will still stay on Rent Allowance, and not be forced to HAP which is now operating in my new county.

You need to check with DSP

I am happy to stay with what I have and my rent is within the existing limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GemmaSophia

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. Myself and my partner have recently qualified for the hap scheme however we need to find a new place to live as the landlord won't accept hap. Could anyone tell me how much of a contribution per week myself and partner will have to pay accomidation eill be for myself, Partner and daughter

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. Myself and my partner have recently qualified for the hap scheme however we need to find a new place to live as the landlord won't accept hap. Could anyone tell me how much of a contribution per week myself and partner will have to pay accomidation eill be for myself, Partner and daughter

Thanks in advance.

Just a query; can landlords legally refuse to accept HAP or RA? I though they could not but may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just a query; can landlords legally refuse to accept HAP or RA? I though they could not but may be wrong.
    I don't think they can legally but you'll have a hard time proving it when they just pick someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GemmaSophia

Graces7 wrote: »

They can't legally refuse it. However I'm sure if I made a fuss about it he could find another reason to ask me to leave? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 peakyblinders

hi I'm single dad who could parents with ex wife my kids live with her mostly I see them bout 4 times a week if I wer to get my name on housing list would i be entitled to go for haps I work full time n pay maintance to her be really helpfull if anyone could give me information about this scheme thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hi I'm single dad who could parents with ex wife my kids live with her mostly I see them bout 4 times a week if I wer to get my name on housing list would i be entitled to go for haps I work full time n pay maintance to her be really helpfull if anyone could give me information about this scheme thanks

For entitlement questions the State Benefits forum is a better fit. This forum is more suited to HAP and finding accommodation or the issues around landlords accepting it.

Mod

As far as I am aware once you qualify for social housing i.e. If your income is below the threshold etc then you will qualify for the HAP scheme. Best thing is to contact your local authority and ask their limits/qualifying conditions and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13 peakyblinders

I put all my forms into Dublin county council to get my name on housing list that was about 2weeks now anyone know long long it takes to get a reply back from county council to let me know yes/no and see is were I go from there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Agiibagii wrote: »
    Do I need first month rent and deposit on hap or just deposit?

That's an agreement with your landlord. Nothing to do with HAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agiibagii wrote: »
    Do I need first month rent and deposit on hap or just deposit?

I cannot imagine any landlord would accept you without rent in advance. HAP or not.

I cannot imagine any landlord would accept you without rent in advance. HAP or not.

The same surely as with Rent Allowance. You pay, apply then they backdate, deposit and first month. NB they do not give deposit unless you apply separately in hardship but you get that back anyways at the end.

So yes first month's rent AND deposit to the landlord.

When I moved here I was told that it was taking HAP applications around 8 weeks to process. As I am older and already on RS I was allowed to stay on it but even then it took weeks to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HilltopViewer

I know you put up your post in 2009,but just wondering if you heard anything back from housing scheme?How long are or were you waiting?Many Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

As per title what does this actually mean. Previously when i was on rent allowance i simply gave the Landlord's PPS number.

Darith wrote: »
    As per title what does this actually mean. Previously when i was on rent allowance i simply gave the Landlord's PPS number.
    A LL like myself who takes RAS (or any of these schemes) has to present a valid tax clearance certificate from Revenue to the housing authority every year. It's one of the hassles that makes renting via RAS etc. more trouble than just renting out privately and all these hassles add up to drive LLs from the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

murphaph wrote:
    A LL like myself who takes RAS (or any of these schemes) has to present a valid tax clearance certificate from Revenue to the housing authority every year. It's one of the hassles that makes renting via RAS etc. more trouble than just renting out privately and all these hassles add up to drive LLs from the sector.

Surely selling up is more hassle than filling out a few extra forms...

rawn wrote: »
    Surely selling up is more hassle than filling out a few extra forms...
    In the case of the tax clearance certificate I remember getting caught out by it as I supplied the council with one upon initial contract signing but neglected to send them an updated one. How did I find out? They stopped paying rent without any warning.

Stuff like this I just don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

murphaph wrote: »

I recently applied to go on the housing list. Currently on the unemployment benefit. When i applied to the housing list i only had to submit my income which was my unemployment benefit slip. As i am on benefit i am not means tested. However when i asked if i would be means tested for Hap(as i recall rsa was always means tested) i was advised that once i was on the housing list i was automatically entitled to hap subject to income , rent and type of accommodation etc but no reference to savings. Now unless they are simply basing my means test on how i was means tested by social welfare but as i said i am benefit and am not been means tested for nine months. So in conclusion are they wrong, will my savings be taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Darith wrote: »
    I recently applied to go on the housing list. Currently on the unemployment benefit. When i applied to the housing list i only had to submit my income which was my unemployment benefit slip. As i am on benefit i am not means tested. However when i asked if i would be means tested for Hap(as i recall rsa was always means tested) i was advised that once i was on the housing list i was automatically entitled to hap subject to income , rent and type of accommodation etc but no reference to savings. Now unless they are simply basing my means test on how i was means tested by social welfare but as i said i am benefit and am not been means tested for nine months. So in conclusion are they wrong, will my savings be taken into account?

Your means tested for social housing and you have to have a long term housing need too ,
    If you have can afford to buy you wouldn't be entitled to social housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭SimonLafferty2

Can one person in a household be working to receive hap

Advertisement