Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JusticeFor55

justice for banter? Is this what was being chanted while while the art exam was going on?

Yes, until we were made aware of this, when we stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

There were no offensive chants this year.
    No, they are boring without chanting, not insults.
    There is no time when something becomes a tradition, but its very important to us and it had been on for many years, so it is a tradition.

I think you have accidentally summed up the problems that the parades commission have to deal with every year up north...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

Last year it ended with smoke bombs and this year you obliged him by not doing the same this year? This is hilarious. Most schools would just have cancelled it after last year.

Sounds like the lunatics are running the asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

popcorn time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

SteM wrote: »
    Last year it ended with smoke bombs and this year you obliged him by not doing the same this year? This is hilarious. Most schools would just have cancelled it after last year.

and complaining repeat leaving cert students who were part of last years cohort were sent home this year

What does justice for banter mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Yes, until we were made aware of this, when we stopped.

To be fair, I would have had you suspended for the "justice for banter" chat alone.

I am cringing for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JusticeFor55

SteM wrote: »

We agreed we wouldnt do anything like last year, once we could chant, but he went back on his word

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Has calls for petition to have them reinstated began yet ? #justicefor55moate

I do think that instead of holding a silent protest over the period of three classes however that they should of simply played the tournament.. seems like a missed opportunity..

We agreed we wouldnt do anything like last year, once we could chant, but he went back on his word

School is not a democracy, a principal can change his mind whenever he wants. That's life, learn to deal with it.

What does justice for banter mean?

It means they've been watching too many Liverpool fan videos on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

It essentially means be quiet, you have nothing to complain about. Its a fairly terrible argument and should be ridiculed whenever possible.

That's what I thought. I just can't believe someone thought it was a suitable retort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Calling someone a c*nt was over the line but the actions of our principal were inexcusable, recently he also threatened students with suspension for parking outside the school in public parking spots, which he has no right to do, he has also taken awards away from students for wearing different colour shoes to the awards night!

with respect, not following explicit instructions to not chant and not following explicit instructions to break up a gathering and return to class was over the line.....
    The simple reality is that in this context, you do not exist in a liberal democracy. We (the parents) send you (our children) to a hopefully safe and nurturing environment to get an education. We don't want schools run in a liberal democratic state. We want them run in as a Bureaucracy, with non elected officials, having the authority to make decisions.
    Obviously nothing is ever black or white, and there are various levels of grayness in relation to desired levels of autonomy that we, as a society, would like of children to have in a school environment.
    But trust me, if you want to make a stand on something, and have adults row in behind your right to demonstration, without fear of reprisal, make your stand on something more vital that the appropriateness of football chants...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

That's what I thought. I just can't believe someone thought it was a suitable retort.

Seen as I made the comment, I though liveadream explained it quite clearly but let me explain. It is not a comment to silence as you have all havefreely commented on it without being silenced.

They are protesting for justice for banter.

Justice for stoplooklisten ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

I do because he claimed she came before the tournament began, along with other lies, trying to sway parents to side with him.
    I came to tell the whole truth, and we did insult, this didnt warrant his actions ever since.
    There were no offensive chants this year.
    No, they are boring without chanting, not insults.
    There is no time when something becomes a tradition, but its very important to us and it had been on for many years, so it is a tradition.

So? Maybe she had a bad experience a previous year and was worried about a repeat.
    Just start chanting without a football match then:p. Come on then and give us a few Ned Flanders chants that suddenly came about this year in spite of other years being insulting.
    A group started chanting the principal was a **** . Did you really expect 100 lined? You showed no consideration for any of your fellow students. Stopping when told of the exam is not an excuse, evidentally no one thought to check (and was nothing important going on in any other class this close to the state exams?)
    Keeping the trouble makers out of the school so those who want to learn can without distraction.
    I am sure the free thinkers will have no issue studying at home.
    Seriously you aren't allowed chant at matches organised for your benefit by other people who receive nothing in return for it. How entitled do you want to be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

We've gotten to the point where names are being brought up now, and most of this seems to be pointless jabs at other posters. I think this has more or less run its course, locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement