Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Principal, it's ****ing principal! The principal suspended the students who mitched class on principle.

Like this you mean??
    Jayop wrote: »
    So we should discourage independent thought and principles and try everything to have schools produce obedient little drones.

I know that's exactly what a certain section of our society would like but it's not what I like.

These kids had something taken from them, probably with no justification and no real reason. Extra-circular activities, especially sport are a great pressure release for kids coming up to their leaving and I would support their right to protest. If the teacher's only justification for this was to have them concentrate on the exams then suspend them is a farcical punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

This whole situation sounds a bit stupid but since Triangle friend has not provided him with even half the story and would have relayed a very biased point of view on the situation this whole thing simply isnt worth discussing.

There are dozens of reasons the tourny could have been cancelled not least of which would be the previous behaviour of the team which lets admit walking off because 2 of your teammates are sent off is a bit childish. The Principal said "Focus on your exams". Maybe this was said after a full explanation and possibly even an apology before saying that to make the best of a bad situation that they should use the time to focus on the exams. Maybe everything thats been said by triangle is exactly how it went down. Hell maybe it was worse. Fact is we dont know and we cant trust any of the story of a biased person told through someone that wasnt even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Please please show me one post that is even remotely like that.

More waffle.

Ok, here's a few overreactions that jump out straight away:
    I do know protesting is Irish, look at the 1913 lockout etc. The right to Protest is in our constitution.

I'm sure that the Moate Community School martyrs will be honoured in State commemorations in 100 years.
    Perhaps these are the kind of kids that our school system should be trying to produce rather than quashing any sign of resistance in them and having them be nothing more than worker bees for the system.
    If people see something as being fundamentally wrong with how they are being treated by authority then they are duty bound to themselves and those who follow them to demand change.
    Christ the language being used by some of you is probably exactly how the Inner Party see the Proles

Based on the rhetoric that you're using, you'd imagine that these students are the victims of a brutal clampdown by a benevolent dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kangaroo189

Original poster has not posted the whole truth. I have family members who go to that school. Some of the people involved allegedly had a Snapchat account that posted stories targeted at individuals in the school, they also mitched many other classes and protested outside the window where students were sitting their art practical. There were also many other factors which contributed to their punishments.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Ok, here's a few overreactions that jump out straight away:

I'm sure that the Moate Community School martyrs will be honoured in State commemorations in 100 years.

Based on the rhetoric that you're using, you'd imagine that these students are the victims of a brutal clampdown by a benevolent dictator.

:pac:

So you couldn't find one single post where someone had caused you to say "you'd swear that these guys had their human rights violated on a level that warranted UN intervention." so you pulled those few posts in to try to make a point.

What a joke.

The first one was talking about our history of protest, nothing to do with the kids in question.

The second one was talking about how the school system in Ireland tries to create perfect little drone kids with no independent thought. Again nothing to do with what you said.

the third one was talking in general terms about people standing up for themselves in the face of what they perceive to be unfair.

As for the 4th I guess you don't know the reference or if you do I have no idea why you quoted it in this context.

• Advertisement

Original poster has not posted the whole truth. I have family members who go to that school. Some of the people involved allegedly had a Snapchat account that posted stories targeted at individuals in the school, they also mitched many other classes and protested outside the window where students were sitting their art practical. There were also many other factors which contributed to their punishments.

You see, if there's truth in this then I have no issue with the kids being punished. If they were bullying or disturbing exams then that's deserving of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Crap that could have been avoided.

Honestly, I don't see why it was a distraction to the other students. Surely the teachers will have just carried on with the class as they would have had a large number of the students had been at some other event.

I have a JC student next year and while I appreciate I'd like as little as possible to upset her preparation, I'd also want her personally to feel that she should stand up for what she feels is right with what she feels is appropriate action.

There really wasn't a lot of other avenues of protest available to these kids and as I mentioned already, the one they choose was probably the one that would cause the least trouble for anyone not directly involved.

For someone with a child in 3rd year already you don't know much about how 2nd level operates
    It's not like 3rd level where you can show up/not show up/leave if you like.
    If you arrive for school in the morning, you can't leave unless you have a note from a parent/gaurdian.
    If a pupil doesn't appear in class the teacher has to go and look for them .
    You should know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

There are always Pied Pipers who lead those who are easily lead....aka ringleaders with their own agenda....over and out on this issue.

For someone with a child in 3rd year already you don't know much about how 2nd level operates
    It's not like 3rd level where you can show up/not show up/leave if you like.
    If you arrive for school in the morning, you can't leave unless you have a note from a parent/gaurdian.
    If a pupil doesn't appear in class the teacher has to go and look for them .
    You should know that

Eh....no they don't. They record that the child wasn't there or at worst call the secretary to report that they aren't there. The teacher doesn't leave a class of 5/30 kids alone to go hunting for one kid.

Thanks for talking down to me though....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭Benevolent Misanthrope

Go away with your facts, you are confusing the issue. We need the wide open spaces of speculation to get up on our soapboxes.

• Advertisement

Go away with your facts, you are confusing the issue. We need the wide open spaces of speculation to get up on our soapboxes.

The soapboxing was all done by those who automatically assumed the students were up to no good.

Well done though./

The soapboxing was all done by those who automatically assumed the students were up to no good.

Well done though./

*cough*
    So we should discourage independent thought and principles and try everything to have schools produce obedient little drones.

I know that's exactly what a certain section of our society would like but it's not what I like.

I have also heard that they made up chants at their match the day of the 'protest' that targeted individual students, teachers and the principal. Apparently that was the last straw for the principal and he ended the match.

*cough*

Cough what?

You see if you quote a post without also quoting what it was in response too it's a pretty dishonest way to present something. That response was a direct reply to someone saying that rules are there to be followed pretty mindlessly without the original poster knowing the full story.

I guess you could just have easily *coughed* at that post but it doesn't suit your agenda.

Also, I love how the word of someone who literally just signed up and posted twice in this thread and nowhere else on the boards is taken as gospel whereas the OP wasn't, again because it didn't suit certain posters agendas.

Cough what?

You see if you quote a post without also quoting what it was in response too it's a pretty dishonest way to present something. That response was a direct reply to someone saying that rules are there to be followed pretty mindlessly without the original poster knowing the full story.

I guess you could just have easily *coughed* at that post but it doesn't suit your agenda.
    Someone else was soapboxing, so you joined in?

Rather undermines your claim that all the soapboxing was coming from one side, I would suggest.

Someone else was soapboxing, so you joined in?

Rather undermines your claim that all the soapboxing was coming from one side, I would suggest.

I wasn't soapboxing, I was replying to a post. A reply that you took out of context to make it look like soapboxing in a very dishonest way.

Well done you.

Also, I love how the word of someone who literally just signed up and posted twice in this thread and nowhere else on the boards is taken as gospel whereas the OP wasn't, again because it didn't suit certain posters agendas.
    Presumably he is standing up for what he believes in and feels passionately about. The right to protest is in the constitution!*

*probably, somewhere towards the back

True, I have another account but its obvious by my second name on it who I know in the school. I don't want them to be dragged into it. Also, I'm just going by what I was told.

Presumably he is standing up for what he believes in and feels passionately about. The right to protest is in the constitution!*

*probably, somewhere towards the back

I have no idea what you're talking about now or it's relevance to what I said. I guess that's a tactic you've just decided to use in this discussion though so it is what it is.

As for the "right to protest" thing. Correct me there, but did I ever suggest anything of the sort?

• Advertisement

Eh....no they don't. They record that the child wasn't there or at worst call the secretary to report that they aren't there. The teacher doesn't leave a class of 5/30 kids alone to go hunting for one kid.

Thanks for talking down to me though....

Well in my daughters school the roll is called in first class. If a girl is in at 9.05am she is expected to be still there at 3pm unless she had a note from a parent. If there is an unexplained absence the teacher goes to look for the missing pupil. The girl is summoned to the office over the tannoy. The school is responsible for the pupils while they're in.
    If your JC child disappears from school during the day and gets into trouble down town who do you blame? Be honest?

True, I have another account but its obvious by my second name on it who I know in the school. I don't want them to be dragged into it. Also, I'm just going by what I was told.

Oh I'm not having a go at you there, and I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve you. In fact I'd go as far as to say that I believe your account more than the original one given.

I just find it funny that certain posters were so quick to jump down the OP's throat while giving you the benefit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

This is far better than the late late show. (gets the popcorn)

Well in my daughters school the roll is called in first class. If a girl is in at 9.05am she is expected to be still there at 3pm unless she had a note from a parent. If there is an unexplained absence the teacher goes to look for the missing pupil. The girl is summoned to the office over the tannoy. The school is responsible for the pupils while they're in.
    If your JC child disappears from school during the day and gets into trouble down town who do you blame? Be honest?

SO hold on, just because something is done in your school a certain way that gives you the right to tell me that I don't know how things are at my kids school?

I'm having a hard time believing that any school would have a procedure in place that if one kid isn't where they should be they would leave a full class unsupervised while looking for them. Surely the procedure I said of calling the secretary and them having someone who's available look for the kid or report it to the parents makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

When is OP coming back to clarify and answer Kangaroo's claims? This should be good.

When is OP coming back to clarify and answer Kangaroo's claims? This should be good.

I would presume if there were 55 kids suspended there will be articles in one of the papers soon about it.

SO hold on, just because something is done in your school a certain way that gives you the right to tell me that I don't know how things are at my kids school?

I'm having a hard time believing that any school would have a procedure in place that if one kid isn't where they should be they would leave a full class unsupervised while looking for them. Surely the procedure I said of calling the secretary and them having someone who's available look for the kid or report it to the parents makes more sense.
    Why don't you tell me who you would hold responsible if your JC absconds fro school unnoticed in the middle of the day?

I don't really know much more than what I've already said. I hope OP can clarify!

Why don't you tell me who you would hold responsible if your JC absconds fro school unnoticed in the middle of the day?

She would be.

Secondary schools aren't a prison and if they sneaked out the door during the day I know who I'd blame.

I'd like to be made aware of the fact that she isn't there ASAP so I can look for her myself, but it's not the schools job to go looking for them, nor I would imagine have they got the authority to go up town and force them to go back. They can't very well force a child to get into a car against their will.

• Advertisement

She would be.

Secondary schools aren't a prison and if they sneaked out the door during the day I know who I'd blame.
    Do you know what the legal position is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement