Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BTW the principal is just following the code of behaviour. Not to do so would put himself in hot water too!
    Moate CS Code of Behaviour.

Parents and Pupils sign up to this.

This is the part probably covers the reason for suspensions. " direct refusal to obey instructions, refusal to co-operate, "

Although I dunno if the suspensions were immediate or were parents notified first, so the procedure will still have to be followed. (Unless it was immediate 'temporary suspension pending an investigation')
    (iv) Suspension:
    Where suspension is considered, parents will be invited to the school to discuss the matter with the Yearhead in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Steven81 wrote:
    Always told the principal is your pal, remember it that way.

Were you told this by the principal in Saved By the Bell like I was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If you were still in school at almost 40 you definitely were not prepared for the real world.

It took a while, but he got his demands met in the end, worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

4ensic15 wrote:
    If you were still in school at almost 40 you definitely were not prepared for the real world.

Hmmm strange logic, I must warn those retired folks that I've studied with, they're at nothing! Life shocker! Education at any age is always good!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It took a while, but he got his demands met in the end, worth it

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

louloumc89 wrote: »
    So I actually went to Moate Community school graduated about 10 years ago, and my little brother was one of the 55 suspended.

I think the principal did what he felt he had to. He's working in a system where free thought is not measured or valuable. His job is measured on how well his students can memorise leaving cert material and regurgitate it for exams. He's a good principal, and this year group (my brother included) are liberal. To say that they are unruly or rude kids is unfair. To call them bullies is even worse. I'm sure you might find 1 or 2 bad kids in a number like 55 kids. My brother is a very liberal thinker, vegan, musician type of person and he believes in fairness. I'm personally extremely happy to know that he wasn't afraid to stand up for what he felt was right. In some cultures, like China for example, they respect authority based on a person's age or job. In this country, we have a much smaller barrier between our students and educators, and respect must be earned. I personally respected teachers automatically at that age, but there's a new generation now, and they want explanations and they're just different. To be fair, I think this country has gotten lazy and followed our leaders blindly. We're waking up as a country now, and there's a shift in the questioning of authority. Nothing wrong with that. They were in a study hall, and keeping volume at a normal level, not roaming the school causing chaos. They simply wanted to make a stand against what they felt was a unfair decision against their year group.

As much as im sure the principal did what he thought he had to, At the end of the day, suspending 55 leaving cert students in the middle of May is absolute madness. They've probably been wrecking his head all year, sounds like he's no control over them, so maybe they deserved it. However, driving a principal to mass suspend so many students in a situation where they feel they are right, is probably a win for the students anyways. Going home saying your suspended is terrifiing id imagine, but if your 1 of 55 your parents probably wont mind too much. The students going to suffer are those who are actually really focused on their leaving certs.

Judging by the harshness of suspending 55 students for spending 3 classes in study hall, I imagine the initial punishment could well have been an overreaction too. It's important to remember that these are 18 year olds, they're adults. Imagine if someone didn't respect you in work? how will that relationship be? I think at that age you have to show people respect to have any sort of chance of working well. Sounds like this situation got totally out of hand.

Your brother sounds like the pretentious type I actively try to avoid in life... :P And it doesn't sound to me like they were standing up for anything. They just felt like being a pain in the ar£e to their school at an already stressful period of the year!

You mentioned china. Perhaps if they were staging a protest concerned with some atrocities in that part of the world you might have more sympathy for them... but they were digging their heals in because someone told them they couldn't play a game of football. (and that someone is charged with seeing that they get a decent education btw)

Just a bunch of immature, spoiled and pretentious teenagers thinking they (and their football tournament) are the center of the universe!

If that's what we're creating, then maybe these guys might have been better off growing up in a different era without all the "liberalism" and mollycoddling!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Yeah, Have to side with the school on this one.

They were protesting over playing soccer. They broke the school code of conduct.

Yes, they have a right to protest, but that doesn't mean it excuses them from their responsibilities, they skipped classes, they could have protested by other means. Would they have protested on their lunch break, after school or have signed a petition to highlight their issues and give the school a chance to take it on board?

This applies to all forms of protest, yes, people have these rights, but with them come responsibilities. For example, people can march on a street and protest with advanced notice so that traffic can be accommodated and diversions put in place.

This is their right. However, it would not be a right to start blocking a road without notice as this impinges on other people's rights to free movement and to go about their business as they choose.

Because something is peaceful, and is covered by a right to protest, it does not make it legitimate. Nor can it be used to justify blatant disregard for rules.

What about other students who possibly wanted to be taught for the Leaving Cert in these classes, what about their right to education, or the principal's right to carry out his/her responsibility to his or her employer?

By all means protest. But look at the rules first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kangaroo189

The students spending 3 classes in study hall as mentioned above was a separate incident/issue. The 'protest' was a loud protest held outside on the football courts which are right beside the classroom where students were sitting their Art practical.

The students spending 3 classes in study hall as mentioned above was a separate incident/issue. The 'protest' was a loud protest held outside on the football courts which are right beside the classroom where students were sitting their Art practical.

:eek: Shocking if true, not only do they not respect the rules, they actively disadvantage their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

:eek: Shocking if true, not only do they not respect the rules, they actively disadvantage their peers.

They're taught at home that only they're own needs and entitlements matter, looking after "No 1" is paramount.
    If you read this thread you can spot elements of it creeping into some posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

They're taught at home that only they're own needs and entitlements matter, looking after "No 1" is paramount.
    If you read this thread you can spot elements of it creeping into some posts.

Show me them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think this is the most active topic in the westmeath section, ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I think this is the most active topic in the westmeath section, ever

Yes, and we're learning that this PrinciPAL is your PAL, unless of course the PLEbs go against his princiPLE.

Where are we now anyway. Has it hit the news yet?

55 is a lot of LCerts to suspend... I reckon they'll be back in time for their graduation next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 emtblaze

Actually, let me clarify something here. Last year, there was chanting going on, most of which was derogatory to the principal, eg. Students were changing about how much they wanted the previous principal, back. This year, the principal met with 5th and 6th years involved that the match would only go ahead if there was NO CHANTING. All students in question agreed to his terms. So the match went ahead. As soon as it started, the chanting began, against the agreed terms. The principal blew the whistle and have a warning. It resumed again, and he gave two further warnings. The fourth time students chanted again, he stepped out and tried to take the ball to stop the game as students did not hold up their end of the deal. That's when players and some spectators sat down and didn't move. That's when the principals's credibility ended; he had no control over his students and had to take names and call parents. So, you see, this actually had nothing to do with cancelling it to 'focus on the leaving cert', it goes deeper than that. Students didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and everything got out of hand. (I'm saying this as a 5th year in Moate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Most leaving cert classes develop a rebellious streak coming up towards the holidays

I remember my leaving cert class going up on the school roof

emtblaze wrote: »
    Actually, let me clarify something here. Last year, there was chanting going on, most of which was derogatory to Mr xxxxxx, eg. Students were changing about how much they wanted Mr Duffy, the previous principal, back. This year, Mr xxxxxx met with 5th and 6th years involved that the match would only go ahead if there was NO CHANTING. All students in question agreed to his terms. So the match went ahead. As soon as it started, the chanting began, against the agreed terms. Mr xxxxx blew the whistle and have a warning. It resumed again, and he gave two further warnings. The fourth time students chanted again, he stepped out and tried to take the ball to stop the game as students did not hold up their end of the deal. That's when players and some spectators sat down and didn't move. That's when Mr xxxxx's credibility ended; he had no control over his students and had to take names and call parents. So, you see, this actually had nothing to do with cancelling it to 'focus on the leaving cert', it goes deeper than that. Students didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and everything got out of hand. (I'm saying this as a 5th year in Moate)

Now, it's all coming out, thanks for the elaboration.

And these pack are whinging about their human rights? :pac: It sounds like they are bullying this man trying to do his job.

Mods : I've edited out names, don't delete

^^ By the way, sorry for the odd typo; I'm using swipe on my phone and it sometimes makes me say things I didn't Nintendo! (Just messing :P)

Oh, by the way, it wasn't all leaving certs who were suspended! It was at least 2 TYs (one was going to host TY night, so that's gone now), and a mix of 5th years and 6th years. I heard that one lad was actually expelled, but I don't know if that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Now, it's all coming out, thanks for the elaboration.

And these pack are whinging about their human rights? :pac: It sounds like they are bullying this man trying to do his job.

Mods : I've edited out names, don't delete

More hyperbolic crap. No one was whinging about human rights. Are people incapable of discussing something on boards without hyperbole or pathetic grammar/spelling corrections?

Again, I apologise for the swipe mistakes. When I read that people were arguing on a misconception (that the principal cancelled the match for students to focus on exams), I shot out a message quickly to clear it up. Had I been on my laptop, there would have been no mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Actually, let me clarify something here. Last year, there was chanting going on, most of which was derogatory to the principal, eg. Students were changing about how much they wanted the previous principal, back. This year, the principal met with 5th and 6th years involved that the match would only go ahead if there was NO CHANTING. All students in question agreed to his terms. So the match went ahead. As soon as it started, the chanting began, against the agreed terms. The principal blew the whistle and have a warning. It resumed again, and he gave two further warnings. The fourth time students chanted again, he stepped out and tried to take the ball to stop the game as students did not hold up their end of the deal. That's when players and some spectators sat down and didn't move. That's when the principals's credibility ended; he had no control over his students and had to take names and call parents. So, you see, this actually had nothing to do with cancelling it to 'focus on the leaving cert', it goes deeper than that. Students didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and everything got out of hand. (I'm saying this as a 5th year in Moate)

Thank you for this account. I don't agree with the statement in bold. I would think the fault here is with the students and not the principal. In my view if the students agreed to something and did not stick to their end of the bargain, it says a lot more about them than it does about the principal. They were given ample warnings and opportunity to change. They will very soon be out in the adult world and looking for an opening in the jobs market. No sympathy for any of them.

Thank you for this account. I don't agree with the statement in bold. I would think the fault here is with the students and not the principal. In my view if the students agreed to something and did not stick to their end of the bargain, it says a lot more about them than it does about the principal. They were given ample warnings and opportunity to change. They will very soon be out in the adult world and looking for an opening in the jobs market. No sympathy for any of them.

True; I had meant it from an onlooker's standpoint, as he could not do anything such as hoist students up and shove them into class!! He wasn't able to control students as he had to contact parents, but he did follow through with the 'actions have consequences' principle (meant in its correct sense!!) and I don't think he was wrong in doing so. These students weren't peaceful at all in the beginning and broke an agreement they had with the principal to host the match. If he had threatened to suspend and didn't follow through, THAT'S when students would lose even more respect for him. However, his status as "Moate's most hated figure of authority" isn't exactly undeserved :S

True; I had meant it from an onlooker's standpoint, as he could not do anything such as hoist students up and shove them into class!! He wasn't able to control students as he had to contact parents, but he did follow through with the 'actions have consequences' principle (meant in its correct sense!!) and I don't think he was wrong in doing so. These students weren't peaceful at all in the beginning and broke an agreement they had with the principal to host the match. If he had threatened to suspend and didn't follow through, THAT'S when students would lose even more respect for him. However, his status as "Moate's most hated figure of authority" isn't exactly undeserved :S

Did they disrupt art practicals as stated elsewhere here because if so that is even more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

louloumc89 wrote: »
    ... my little brother was one of the 55 suspended... My brother is a very liberal thinker, vegan, musician type of person

I suddenly find myself firmly on the side of the principal...

Did they disrupt art practicals as stated elsewhere here because if so that is even more serious.

Indeed; my friends in 3rd year said they wanted to march out and shut them up themselves!!! It must have been so distracting, all you'd want to do is look out the window to see what's going on instead of focusing on the exam you're doing!! :S heart goes out to disrupted students >.<

Indeed; my friends in 3rd year said they wanted to march out and shut them up themselves!!! It must have been so distracting, all you'd want to do is look out the window to see what's going on instead of focusing on the exam you're doing!! :S heart goes out to disrupted students >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Your brother sounds like the pretentious type I actively try to avoid in life... :P And it doesn't sound to me like they were standing up for anything. They just felt like being a pain in the ar£e to their school at an already stressful period of the year!

Just a bunch of immature, spoiled and pretentious teenagers thinking they (and their football tournament) are the center of the universe

You obviously weren't involved in any 6th year pranks or protests. it's important to them, and they stood their ground. how bad? I'm sure at some point in their lives they'll find other things to fight for. Some keyboard warrior lad.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Most leaving cert classes develop a rebellious streak coming up towards the holidays

I remember my leaving cert class going up on the school roof

This is true, 6th yeas are notorious for acting up just before the leaving cert.

I call all my brothers little brothers, even the 6ft ones in their 20s somethings. I should really say younger, habit I suppose. Suspending students was obviously a last resort. Ridiculous time of year to suspend students. Although maybe the principal needed to show he was serious so nothing worse than a little sit down in the study hall happened. I'm sure he'd hate to expell students should they get up to real mischief.

Anyone who disrupts an exam of any kind deserves exactly what is coming to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Those students should lawyer up and slap an injunction on that school. The least that should happen is that the pay of the teachers is cut now that they have fewer students in the school.

• Advertisement

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Those students should lawyer up and slap an injunction on that school. The least that should happen is that the pay of the teachers is cut now that they have fewer students in the school.

Either you are a lawyer or an idiot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement