Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Either you are a lawyer or an idiot

Are lawyers not idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Most leaving cert classes develop a rebellious streak coming up towards the holidays

I remember my leaving cert class going up on the school roof

"D" wing, Education and training unit, Mountjoy, '89? That you, Darren?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Hibrasil wrote: »
    The head of a school is a PRINCIPAL.......holding a specific point of view is a PRINCIPLE.....

Mr Belding puts the Pal in principal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Those students should lawyer up and slap an injunction on that school. The least that should happen is that the pay of the teachers is cut now that they have fewer students in the school.

What kind of an injunction? In your world there's some kind of legal action pupils who have been suspended can take? ?!Teachers get paid less when students are absent?!?! Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

lawyer up, someones been watching too much television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Those students should lawyer up and slap an injunction on that school. The least that should happen is that the pay of the teachers is cut now that they have fewer students in the school.

If students in compliance with the school rules they have an arguable case for an injunction - if they broke the school rules then their case is "out the window". I know there are loads of "ambulance chaser" lawyers who would take the job.. only to see the costs fall back on those suspended (or their parents) when injunction refused. 4ensics15 has a lot to learn I think..... not even a budding fireside lawyer with no concept of contract law or economics !!!

If students in compliance with the school rules they have an arguable case for an injunction - if they broke the school rules then their case is "out the window". I know there are loads of "ambulance chaser" lawyers who would take the job.. only to see the costs fall back on those suspended (or their parents) when injunction refused. 4ensics15 has a lot to learn I think..... not even a budding fireside lawyer with no concept of contract law or economics !!!

The issue has nothing to do with contract law. Pupils do not go to school under a contract for services. The issue of compliance with school rules would not be decided at an interlocutory stage. the students have an arguable case based on fair procedures and breach of constitutional and natural justice. Schools in my experience know nothing about natural justice and its high time someone put a halt to their gallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

The issue has nothing to do with contract law. Pupils do not go to school under a contract for services. The issue of compliance with school rules would not be decided at an interlocutory stage. the students have an arguable case based on fair procedures and breach of constitutional and natural justice. Schools in my experience know nothing about natural justice and its high time someone put a halt to their gallop.

Students going to school has nothing to do with a contract for services ...teachers employed in a school are employed under a contract for services....you may throw out terms like fair procedures and breach of constitutional and natural justice and draw conclusions from your own biased position ....but it comes down to what the rules were and were they breached.. and the only way to get an injunction where rules are breached is to misrepresent the situation (where the school is not present at the hearing). Slapping an injunction on the school is not like clapping your hands.:)

Students going to school has nothing to do with a contract for services ...teachers employed in a school are employed under a contract for services....you may throw out terms like fair procedures and breach of constitutional and natural justice and draw conclusions from your own biased position ....but it comes down to what the rules were and were they breached.. and the only way to get an injunction where rules are breached is to misrepresent the situation (where the school is not present at the hearing). Slapping an injunction on the school is not like clapping your hands.:)

Whether the rules were breached or not there has to be fairness. An injunction will given on a balance of convenience basis. Teachers are office holders and are not employed under a contract for services. In the real world people are paid according to the work they do but not teachers. Do less work but get the same pay. Only in our cossetted public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya fight the power man,

Although they better read the code of conduct they signed up to first!

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Ya fight the power man,

Although they better read the code of conduct the signed up to first!

What has a code got to do with anything? More mythology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I remember correctly a student from moate came on not long ago over being told he couldn't break school rules and grow a beard.
    Seems the students in this school need a kick in the pants and a lesson in what's acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya yer right the school code of conduct has no bearing on suspension procedure, they should make haste to the best lawyer in town.. Preferably the most expensive too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Code is like a contract, idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Good enough for them. A soccer tournament is a discretionary activity the school can cancel whenever they want. They're not there to accede to the demands of students in relation to recreational activities. If the students had been protesting about a valid issue relating to their education I would support them but not in relation to this idiocy. They should have found something more worthy to "believe in".

and one would hope that it set a message of stop ****ing around and do what your told or something along those lines...

Meanwhile in the real world there is a diabetes health crisis due to lack of exercise amongst young and old and teachers never protest or skip school to partake in strikes

Whether the rules were breached or not there has to be fairness. An injunction will given on a balance of convenience basis. Teachers are office holders and are not employed under a contract for services. In the real world people are paid according to the work they do but not teachers. Do less work but get the same pay. Only in our cossetted public sector.

Or teach 12 students or 24 students. Only in the public centre........

gaeilge789 wrote: »
    1. This tournament was set up by a teacher over 15 years ago who has since retired. It has become a huge school tradition in which student class groups play each other for a number of weeks and the winning team play against the teachers in the final. Both students and teachers were involved in drawing matches/organising.

2. There have been no accidents at previous events, and this is no different from any other year group. Of course there are always one or two troublemakers in a year but as a whole this is a lovely year group. There was no reasoning giving for cancelling the tournament as far as I'm aware.

Students were stripped of awards at awards night for partaking in this protest, and are not allowed to attend school until they sit their exams. They were attempting to reason with a principal who for no good reason cancelled this school tradition.

For no good reason? Read back on the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Would be a great plot for a movie.

They could call it...

DEAD MOATE'S SOCIETY

Code is like a contract, idiot.

Have you ever seen a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Ya yer right the school code of conduct has no bearing on suspension procedure, they should make haste to the best lawyer in town.. Preferably the most expensive too

The best and most expensive lawyer in Moate is also the towns postman - very busy Monday mornings I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lazy25

So much misinformation on this thread, the tournament was cancelled because the principal wanted to stop them chanting, this chanting is typically done by the older male students and is seen as a "tradition" but if anyone defending the students actually heard the chants they'd agree with the principal for suspending them, I've been a student at MCS and this chanting is just an excuse for public shaming, bullying and exclusion as these "lads" only let certain other "lads" up with them to chant. theyre doing their leaving cert they should have more cop on at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mariemc09

The problem students have is that he is trying to end a school tradition for no good reason. He claims it's for the sake of the leaving cert students but then why not just let the TY and 5th year students continue the tradition? Also it has never affected previous students so why would it all of a sudden affect them? Its a tournament thats played at lunch time so its not like the students are missing class to play whereas they could miss whole days of school to play sports with the school and he doesnt stop these he actually promotes these and awards students for this.
    As for the point on bullying it's harmless chanting just like what's done in professional soccer and it's only done to students involved in the tournament,as it has been in previous years so students know exactly what they are getting themselves involved in.
    This is a school tradition which students of all ages look forward to. As a student I can tell you it's one of the few things that gets us through the last few weeks of school and the exams. It gives us something to look forward to everyday and a way to relax and destress while we prepare for exams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Chronicler

Mariemc09 wrote: »
    As for the point on bullying it's harmless chanting just like what's done in professional soccer and it's only done to students involved in the tournament,as it has been in previous years so students know exactly what they are getting themselves involved in.

Give us a few examples of this 'harmless chanting'.

Chronicler wrote: »

Give us a few examples of this 'harmless chanting'.
    It changes every year based on the students, it's usually stupid things about someone being ginger,or some girl they shifted,or how they fell over in a match or typical your ma jokes

If I remember correctly a student from moate came on not long ago over being told he couldn't break school rules and grow a beard.
    Seems the students in this school need a kick in the pants and a lesson in what's acceptable behaviour.
    Why is the school aloud to tell a teenage boy that he's not allowed have a beard? Or short hair considering students have been suspended for both? Next thing you know they'll be saying girls can't have their hair down it has to be in a ponytail..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lazy25

The chants can be anything but harmless and they get worse every year, I've seen plenty of people storming out of the courts after being chanted at, often peoples weight is brought Into it and worse, I've seen girls crying after lunch over things that have been said, so to say that its just people involved is just completely false

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Why is the school aloud to tell a teenage boy that he's not allowed have a beard? Or short hair considering students have been suspended for both? Next thing you know they'll be saying girls can't have their hair down it has to be in a ponytail..

because its in the schools rules.

my school i set the rules, you dont want to adhere to them feck off to another school.

lazy25 wrote: »
    The chants can be anything but harmless and they get worse every year, I've seen plenty of people storming out of the courts after being chanted at, often peoples weight is brought Into it and worse, I've seen girls crying after lunch over things that have been said, so to say that its just people involved is just completely false
    Well anything I've heard is harmless and I've never seen anyone storming off or crying over it so I'm jus going by what I know

because its in the schools rules.

my school i set the rules, you dont want to adhere to them feck off to another school.
    Actually it's no where in the rule that students sign and agree to that boys can't have beards or short hair. The only rule similar to it is that students can't have unnatural hair colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Being ginger, a girl you shifted, people's weight

What about the girl, she's being bullied too because she shifted someone on the team. She associated with someone, so therefore deserves abuse?

Please explain what is the issue with ginger people, the rentless abuse towards people with red hair has somehow become socially acceptable?

People's weight, well I don't need to explain that one to you. People are being active and the crowd are abusing them because the are overweight? How else do you expect them to lose it? I'm sure it does wonders for their self confidence.

Tell us more of these great chants

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement