Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Opinions49

After reading through the comments on this, I find some of them very unfair towards the students. Most of these students are leaving cert students, 18 years of age and entitled to stand up for what they believe in. A lot of you are speaking as if they are children who can be pushed into a corner and shut up. They have rights too.
    The principal cancelled the soccer tournament for the leaving cert students because it affected their study? The tournament goes on for the 40 minutes of lunchtime, during which times students would not be studying anyway and would probably be out playing soccer amongst themselves. Also being a past student of the school, the tournament never affected any of our studies infact it made the unbearable last few weeks leading up to the leaving cert more enjoyable and we created some unforgettable memories with our class groups.
    People really do not understand how much this tournament meant to the students and the atmosphere around when it was on.
    Most of the 55 students who were suspended were leaving cert students, how hypocritical of the principal to cancel the tournament because it will affect their studies but yet suspend them for 2 or 3 days anyway?
    And finally the students being stripped of their awards they have worked for for nearly 2 years, in my opinion is disgraceful. Most of these students have never been in trouble once in their 6 years in the school, they make a stand against the principal and this happens. The staff of that school must have no morals.
    I just feel a lot of your comments are very one sided and you are not looking at the students point of views too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lazy25

Mariemc09 wrote: »
    Actually it's no where in the rule that students sign and agree to that boys can't have beards or short hair. The only rule similar to it is that students can't have unnatural hair colours.

actually it was added last year that lads can't have beards, have my journal here beside and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Actually it's no where in the rule that students sign and agree to that boys can't have beards or short hair. The only rule similar to it is that students can't have unnatural hair colours.

most schools have a code of conduct or rule book that you attending is considered your agreement.

i dont/didnt go to Moat community school (im *gulp* an adult) so i wouldn't know

but i do know that in my school you had to wear the uniform in a particular way and be presented in a particular way etc etc, there was nothing about having pink hair or a beard but we all knew if you wandered into school with your ears pierced more than once with blue hair and your skirt around your bum hole that you weren't going to be around for the rest of the day.

protesting for the sake of protesting if pointless, if these students were protesting because a gay teacher was sacked for being gay or because a kid was being bullyed or abused then fair dues to them, from my reading it looks like a group of kids have taken it upon themselves to turn a fun day out for the senior students into an opportunity to humiliate those they deem inferior and the school has had enough.

But its okay once you start working and paying your way your laugh at that time you got kicked out of school for having a beard or breaking a rule or skipping class or for bullying someone, because in real life there are actual serious consequences for doing stupid ****.

sorry thanks to the student above who has no posted saying it is in fact a rule.

Thanks. (when i went to school most lads couldn't grow beards and the ones that could were definitely not the ones anyone should have been hanging around with :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

lazy25 wrote: »
    The chants can be anything but harmless and they get worse every year, I've seen plenty of people storming out of the courts after being chanted at, often peoples weight is brought Into it and worse, I've seen girls crying after lunch over things that have been said, so to say that its just people involved is just completely false
    So I take it that the talk that a local person who appeared on national tv last year to lose weight gave to the school about how bullying in that school affected his life went over the heads of most of the students there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mb42756

They were not 'stomping there feet' these students aren't 5, stop assuming things, what happened was they were chanting to the football players as they do every single year, the principle told them to stop, they didn't so he walked in and took the football away, everyone gave out and the principal took a bow and gave them the thumbs up, he's so upsessed with how the school looks and sounds he won't even let the students have a bit of fun at the lunch break. I'm a student of this school now, they have never been told to stop chanting any year before this he also locked the students into the place they were sitting.

• Advertisement

Also the students do not chant at people the deem inferior to them , they chant at their friends. there is no maliciousness behind these chants it is all banter. Some of these people are making the senior boys sound like bullies and it is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Please explain what is the issue with ginger people, the rentless abuse towards people with red hair has somehow become socially acceptable?
    My son is due to start in that school Sept next year - is he going to be bullied and have chanted thrown at him because he has strawberry blonde/ blonde/red hair? He has never had a bad word said to him about his hair in his 7 years so schooling so far that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    My son is due to start in that school Sept next year - is he going to be bullied and have chanted thrown at him because he has strawberry blonde/ blonde/red hair? He has never had a bad word said to him about his hair in his 7 years so schooling so far that I'm aware of.

Yes, apparently, he's a fair target, cos, you know, ginger. Maybe some of the non-children who chant these things will be able to explain why

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mariemc09

The chants can be anything but harmless and they get worse every year, I've seen plenty of people storming out of the courts after being chanted at, often peoples weight is brought Into it and worse, I've seen girls crying after lunch over things that have been said, so to say that its just people involved is just completely false
    So I take it that the talk that a local person who appeared on national tv last year to lose weight gave to the school about how bullying in that school affected his life went over the heads of most of the students there?!
    And if memory serves me correct he also participated in this tournament on both sides of chanting

Yes, apparently, he's a fair target, cos, you know, ginger.

Ginger kids get bullied everywhere, just go on facebook and see the endless memes about them, mcs did not start this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is hilarious.

They disrupted a state exam.
    They are protesting over a football not being played.
    Tormenting other students is a "tradition" (and the match only goes back a few years, not really a tradition).
    They skipped class and presumably encouraged others to protest to get 55 people involved.

They should count themselves lucky they only got suspended.

I agree that the education system has failed these students in that none of the 55 had the ability to organise a match themselves.

I fully support the rights of students to protest for what they believe in. Wanting someone else to organise a football match for you so you can make derogatory chants at them does not count as believing in something. The principal is under no obligation to do this stuff and this has been done because of the kindness of the principal/teachers in previous years. Maybe some of the students could take 5 minutes to realise what people have done for them with no expectation of a reward for it.

Opinions49 wrote: »
    Ginger kids get bullied everywhere, just go on facebook and see the endless memes about them, mcs did not start this

oh, that's ok then. Thanks for the explaination. If everyone else is doing it, it's fine.

And if memory serves me correct he also participated in this tournament on both sides of chanting
    If anything will be said to him it wont be till he participates in TY by then he'll be roughly 16years old he should be able to defend himself then

oh, that's ok then. Thanks for the explaination. If everyone else is doing it, it's fine.

just sticking up for the students. there was nowhere in that reply that I said it was ok.

Mb42756 wrote: »
    They were not 'stomping there feet' these students aren't 5, stop assuming things, what happened was they were chanting to the football players as they do every single year,

just because they do it every year doesnt mean its right.
    Mb42756 wrote: »
    the principle told them to stop, they didn't so he walked in and took the football away,

he told them to stop the public bullying of other students HOW RUDE!
    of course he does just because the bullys like it doest mean hes not facing 100 phone calls form parents of the fat, ginger, slutty kids asking why he allowed it to happen.

let me put it this way, if i was at work, and my colleague and i were playing five a side at lunch in the car park, if other colleagues were 'chanting' about being fat, ginger, who scored with who etc etc, ya ma jokes etc, and our boss came out took the ball and said im stopping this your on work property, on work time and you all work together scatter and stop chanting and we staged a 'protest' sit in, we would all be subject to serious disciplinary action -or suspension like these students were.

I get it your kids or young adults or whatever and want to be treated as such, however respect doesnt just arrive at your door- your post reminded me so much of my school years.

how dare the principle care about how the school is thought of! the horror- do you know why, because reputation of the school carries, i can tell you the good and bad schools in cork from their reputations...

Adults generalise, we assume things, we dont see individuals sometimes. The principals job is to get your all into Jobs or further education. beards or no beards standards are standards what he says goes.

suck it up or move somewhere where you can do whatever the **** you like.

But you can't stop the whole world from doing it so there's no point in freaking out at MCS students over it

But you can't stop the whole world from doing it so there's no point in freaking out at MCS students over it

If everyone else is doing it we must follow blindly like sheep. That's a great justification for bullying.

Now, tell us about the fat people, or the spotty people...The mental gymnastics are fascinating

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

So you do agree it's bullying then? and the "everyone is doing it" is what I'd expect from a 5 year old, not an 18 year old.
    "
    Bullying is defined by the Department of Education and Skills guidelines as unwanted negative behaviour, verbal, psychological or physical, conducted by an individual or group against another person (or persons)"

The chanting is not harmless, end of. The more i read of this thread, the more I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Reading this I have to say I think there are still some gaps in the story but going off what's been said I'd agree with that suspension.

The principal was letting football go ahead minus the chants (which are bullying whatever way you play it) students decided to ignore the multiple warnings and he stopped(not cancelled) the match.

Should have ended there but the students exercised their right to protest but and here's the bit they forget when you protest you take the consequences , they were disturbing other students taking exams and the principal made the decision to give suspensions.

It comes down to those students (and their parents) if they are still 100% behind what they did good luck to them , the other students who were sitting an exam really deserve the luck and hopefully it did not negatively affect their results.

So you do agree it's bullying then? and the "everyone is doing it" is what I'd expect from a 5 year old, not an 18 year old.
    "
    Bullying is defined by the Department of Education and Skills guidelines as unwanted negative behaviour, verbal, psychological or physical, conducted by an individual or group against another person (or persons)"

The chanting is not harmless, end of. The more i read of this thread, the more I despair.

The ginger students who get chanted at are the seniors boys friends. It is not aimed at the younger boys to ridicule them. The chants are being taken up all wrong here and making the students sound like a group of malicious bullies. Have you never had fun by slagging one of your friends? Give them a break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ABman

These chants may seem like bullying to those who have not witnessed them however the students who get chanted at know what is coming. As they know they will be chanted at why participate in the competition? These students enjoy the competition and almost every class envolved in playing Sat down in protest. Does this not show you that these chants don't even affect the players. These chants are just to fill the silence during the match.

But how can it be seen as fair for him to only punish a select few involved? If he's going to punish them he should punish them all not just the few he wants to use as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

unforgettable memories with our class groups..

From reading this I think the principal was quite reasonable he let the football match go ahead minus chants that were bulling.

If some of the students are adults then they should understand there are consequences for actions as an adult.

By all means protest but make sure it is something that is important enough that you are willing to stand by your decision post punishment.

The ginger students who get chanted at are the seniors boys friends. It is not aimed at the younger boys to ridicule them. The chants are being taken up all wrong here and making the students sound like a group of malicious bullies. Have you never had fun by slagging one of your friends? Give them a break

What is so funny about red hair? Is the tone or the hue or what? What's the joke?

What is so funny about red hair? Is the tone or the hue or what? What's the joke?
    Nothing in particular it's just a world wide thingd to slang someone over, same way blondes are called bimbos, but that's not the point here the point is that school tradition is being taken away over something foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

ABman wrote: »
    These chants may seem like bullying to those who have not witnessed them however the students who get chanted at know what is coming. As they know they will be chanted at why participate in the competition?

I fail to follow the logic here :eek:

jaykay74 wrote: »

The same logic as here:
    If anything will be said to him it wont be till he participates in TY by then he'll be roughly 16years old he should be able to defend himself then

I can't believe half this crap is still going on, I thought the youth of today were liberated, freethinkers.

I've half a mind to head down to moate and start a protest in support of the principal.

ABman wrote: »
    These chants may seem like bullying to those who have not witnessed them however the students who get chanted at know what is coming. As they know they will be chanted at why participate in the competition?

If you know people are going to be chanting and you get involved then you already know that there's a good chance your friends in the stand will make a chant directed at you so if you know this is coming and don't want it to happen then don't get involved. And as has been said its the friends of students that are doing the chanting if a student had an actual problem with it they would just say it to their friends and that chant wouldn't be used again

The same logic as here:

I can't believe half this crap is still going on, I thought the youth of today were liberated, freethinkers.

I've half a mind to head down to moate and start a protest in support of the principal.
    We are freethinks and we are showing that right now by standing up and telling everyone exactly what we think of the situation

• Advertisement

im with ya,

im sure the poor unfortunate first year whos fat or ginger or whatever you guys deem to be unacceptable that week is sitting there going oh their mocking that guy for being fat, ginger etc and im fat, ginger etc but he's their friend so its not really mean is it.

ISNT HARASSMENT FUN! yeayyyy verbal abuse its fun!

im sure the football fans in the UK who throw bananas and shout the n word at the black footballer are only having the bants! its a bit of fun like!

jesus...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement