Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Students suspended in Moate Community School

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Mariemc09 wrote: »
    We are freethinks and we are showing that right now by standing up and telling everyone exactly what we think of the situation

i think their only free thinkers when it comes to stuff they care about,

you cant bully someone for being gay because hey we're irish we have marriage equality and we're great but lord help you if your ginger or fat...

no equality for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ABman

If bullying was the reason behind this. then would you not think those being bullied would agree with the principal, instead they are some of the main members of the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

We are freethinks and we are showing that right now by standing up and telling everyone exactly what we think of the situation

We must have different definitions for freethinkers.
    blindly supporting a crowd of bullies because everyone else is doing it, is not what being a freethinker means to me, or the dictionary.

ABman wrote: »
    If bullying was the reason behind this. then would you not think those being bullied would agree with the principal, instead they are some of the main members of the protest.

They've been bullied their whole way through school by their peers, they probably just want to be accepted and feel this is their moment.

it appears the reason behind it was that the principle of the school gave numerous warning regarding chanting at the event, these were ignored so it was cancelled.

have i missed something?

• Advertisement

I don't understand when ginger and fat came into this. Not once has a been a ginger or fat chant been said in I'd say the last 5 years.

I don't understand when ginger and fat came into this. Not once has a been a ginger or fat chant been said in I'd say the last 5 years.

you ignored my question.

it was mentioned as an example by a previous poster...

along with comment are slut shaming (thats where a girl is chanted at for kissing a boy! the horror!) your ma jokes/comments chants and other stuff.

the bits you seem to have ignored are:

it is in your school handbook that you will obey orders by the principle- ie to leave the court quietly
    you 'protested' outside/within hearing distance of student sitting an leaving cert practical exam
    you were warned numerous times not to partake in chanting and did so anyway

you can spill as much nonsense about it effecting your exams but you didnt give a **** about the students, your CLASSMATES sitting an exam at the time did you?

It was childish selfish and stupid, apologise to the students effected and to the school and hope your name doesnt get associated with it publically because once an employee googles you this, will not be looked kindly upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Christ, do you think thats the path to acceptance by your peers (as a schoolkid, when you grow up you just dump those friends and find nicer people) :eek:

Sadly, you have to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Opinions49

They've been bullied their whole way through school by their peers, they probably just want to be accepted and feel this is their moment.

Do you know the students who have been personally victimised? how can you make such an assumption on reading a few threads by people who do not know what is going on? The chants stop off the courts. I will say again, the senior boys are not bullies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lazy25

One of my friends was slagged for being fat every time he played last year?? what school are you going to?

• Advertisement

These warnings were not ignored. A representative for each year was sent to speak with the principal about the situation. Once they returned they informed the other students that if they stopped protesting then, there would be no punishment. The majority left the protest within school hours as was what the principal had wanted. Yet here we are with all 55 students being punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Opinions49 wrote: »
    The ginger students who get chanted at are the seniors boys friends. It is not aimed at the younger boys to ridicule them. The chants are being taken up all wrong here and making the students sound like a group of malicious bullies. Have you never had fun by slagging one of your friends? Give them a break
    These chants may seem like bullying to those who have not witnessed them however the students who get chanted at know what is coming. As they know they will be chanted at why participate in the competition? These students enjoy the competition and almost every class envolved in playing Sat down in protest. Does this not show you that these chants don't even affect the players. These chants are just to fill the silence during the match.

Tbh, just because no students are visibly standing up to other students in a public arena, doesnt mean that some students arent affected by this chanting, or that somewhere down the line a line will be crossed. Of course they are going to put a brave face on in front of the lads, but you don't know whats going on privately.

Sounds like the principal identified this as potentially harmful behaviour - either on foot of a complaint or else seeing a potential issue if it was allowed continue - and he took action on it.

It sounds like he gave the students a fair warning and tried to reach consensus before the game. Students ignored this, game was abandoned.

And seriously, I just want to reiterate that one persons idea of "harmless chanting" is another persons reason for not wanting to leave the house in the morning. I don't want to be too dramatic as the chanting may have been all in good fun - but the principal has a duty of care here and he was right to act on it before it got too far and something serious happened

lazy25 wrote: »
    One of my friends was slagged for being fat every time he played last year?? what school are you going to?

I apologise I may have missed one or two matches in the past but if this was happening before why wasn't there even a warning before hand. The principal walked up to the match and took the ball with no warning. It was only after that day that he started to warn them about chanting.

These warnings were not ignored. A representative for each year was sent to speak with the principal about the situation. Once they returned they informed the other students that if they stopped protesting then, there would be no punishment. The majority left the protest within school hours as was what the principal had wanted. Yet here we are with all 55 students being punished.

and the other ones?

he bits you seem to have ignored are: (so ill post it again because i know reading can be EXHAUSTING)

it is in your school handbook that you will obey orders by the principle- ie to leave the court quietly?
    you 'protested' outside/within hearing distance of students sitting a leaving cert practical exam?
    you were warned numerous times not to partake in chanting and did so anyway... this is what ignoring it...

you can spill as much nonsense about it effecting your exams but you didnt give a **** about the students, your CLASSMATES sitting an exam at the time did you?

It was childish selfish and stupid, apologise to the students effected and to the school and hope your name doesnt get associated with it publically because once an employee googles you this, will not be looked kindly upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you know people are going to be chanting and you get involved then you already know that there's a good chance your friends in the stand will make a chant directed at you so if you know this is coming and don't want it to happen then don't get involved. And as has been said its the friends of students that are doing the chanting if a student had an actual problem with it they would just say it to their friends and that chant wouldn't be used again

Yeah, try that argument in the real world and see how far it gets you - oh wait people did and it gets them suspended. Funny that. "If you know we are bullies don't be surprised when we bully you" - thats the gist of your argument. It doesn't matter a bit if some people don't mind the terms, they are being shouted at an event on school grounds and are not acceptable. My mate Dave might not mind if i call him a **** between us, but if i call him a **** at a meeting at work i will be disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

The sad thing is that people don't seem to be learning from their mistake judging by some of the posts here. No football tournament at all next year I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I really dont understand how anyone can justify chants slagging people off just because they'tr friends with the person. What about those in the crowd? It will put them off playing in future as they might not be a thick skinned as some of the posters here who see it as "banter".

As a former pupil I know the principal can be difficult to deal with but disrupting other students state exams as protest over a soccer tournament is going too far. If students were warned over the chanting during the game and still continued then he was right to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

If you know people are going to be chanting and you get involved then you already know that there's a good chance your friends in the stand will make a chant directed at you so if you know this is coming and don't want it to happen then don't get involved. And as has been said its the friends of students that are doing the chanting if a student had an actual problem with it they would just say it to their friends and that chant wouldn't be used again

So it's unreasonable to want to enter a football tournament without getting abused?

If a student doesn't want to be abused they are excluded from the tournament. Yeah that sounds fair

sounds like the abusive chanting is more important than the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why is the school aloud to tell a teenage boy that he's not allowed have a beard? Or short hair considering students have been suspended for both? Next thing you know they'll be saying girls can't have their hair down it has to be in a ponytail..

Schools have policies to ensure their smooth running.
    Parents and students sign up to these policies when then enrol.
    You don't like the policies? Don't enrol and choose another school.

Check your privilage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Check your privilage

Whats privilage?

Whats privilage?

privilege spelled wrong, Teacher

I"ll learn it for next weeks test ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Why is the school aloud to tell a teenage boy that he's not allowed have a beard? ..

Allowed not aloud, I think.:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Now, I've been busy so I haven't been able to keep as close an eye on this as I would like.

Last warning: Cut out the petty grammar/spelling correction posts. Any more of it, and I am locking the thread, there's been far too much already.

Whats privilage?

its like privilege....

the point is still relevant, while you crazy kids are protesting at the lack of a football match and interrupting a leaving certificate exam

there are 745,200 minors in prison/jail in the US.

there are more than 100 MILLION children denied the right to attend school worldwide

Burma, China, Eritrea, Iran, Saudi Arabia are countries that have laws against 'protests' not like your little Im sulking protest but against ANY protest.

Ibrahim Halawa has been held for over 1000 days, was denied the chance to complete his LC, go to his grads for being near and around a protest (yes this is debatable i know i know but still...)

Malala Yousafzai was literally shot in the head for fighting for her right to attend school.

13 per cent of children with disabilities in Ireland are educated in special class settings within mainstream schools, and 15 per cent are in special schools for students with disabilities- the rest do not receive a standard education

In 2010 only 6 per cent of Travellers were educated to primary level , compared with a national figure of 21 per cent. The census also reported that 13,680 Travellers were aged fifteen or over, and only 197 (1.4 per cent) had completed a third-level qualification; this compares with 21 per cent of the general population.

Check your privilege, These students are white, males, Irish (EU Citizens) they have homes, families and an education.

You have a legal right to an education. You have the legal right to protest peacefully.

Check your privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

There are a lot of unanswered questions in this thread but a lot of posters are forgetting whats its like to be 17/18.

What is now termed verbal bullying is at 17/18 seen as "slagging" your mates.

Dont agree with the students protesting and more importantly causing problems for students sitting exams but I think posters are being hard on the students posting here.

Do ye not remember that age when principal/teachers were wrong and we were always right.?

And no Im not taking the P***. At that age we were always right!

I think we need the principals side of the story to get a balanced view of what really went on but on the facts we have been told the students broke the rule in place (whether right or wrong) and have to face up to the concequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

privilege spelled wrong, Teacher

I"ll learn it for next weeks test ;)

Yes but what does that mean, in the context of this discussion, check your privilege? What privilege?

Yes but what does that mean, in the context of this discussion, check your privilege? What privilege?

hello??

i wrote a really good post about what it means! come oooonnnnn

*stomps off in a huff to the football pitches to protest you not reading my powerful and thought provoking post*

We shall not we shall not be mooveedd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It essentially means be quiet, you have nothing to complain about. Its a fairly terrible argument and should be ridiculed whenever possible.

• Advertisement

It essentially means be quiet, you have nothing to complain about. Its a fairly terrible argument and should be ridiculed whenever possible.

to be fair i dont think its being used as a side to the argument. i think its just being used to maybe give the kids a push in the right direction of a bit of perspective.

a football game was cancelled, nobody died.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement