Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl in Portmarnock Village

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

that site only sold recently enough and apparently theres been war in portmarnock over the idea of it being developed on. Cant see an Aldi going in on it. Its a small enough site and traffic through portmarnock can be chaos at the best of times without an aldi adding to the congestion. They had the sands hotel planning rejected alright and there was an application for either an aldi or lidl to go in on a site in baldoyle that was rejected aswell few years ago. There is already a building lying empty nearyby baldoyle and portmarnock that was built for a supermarket before the crash and no word of any one going in there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

neris wrote: »
    that site only sold recently enough and apparently theres been war in portmarnock over the idea of it being developed on. Cant see an Aldi going in on it. Its a small enough site and traffic through portmarnock can be chaos at the best of times without an aldi adding to the congestion. They had the sands hotel planning rejected alright and there was an application for either an aldi or lidl to go in on a site in baldoyle that was rejected aswell few years ago. There is already a building lying empty nearyby baldoyle and portmarnock that was built for a supermarket before the crash and no word of any one going in there yet.

Where is the site?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where is the site?

Across the road from jus de vine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

There is already a building lying empty nearyby baldoyle and portmarnock that was built for a supermarket before the crash and no word of any one going in there yet.

Where's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Site bought by Lidl and design at planning stage. Looks like it'll be approved. More info here:

https://m.facebook.com/Save-Portmarnock-Village-834002113357714/

BowWow wrote: »
    Where's that?

Clongriffen, Superquinn were meant to go into originally but then they pulled out of going in in 2008 or so.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4029492,-6.1511759,3a,75y,37.69h,73.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skNEDD0U9mL8JeWBYJ1zPmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

that was where they wanted to put an aldi or lidl in Baldoyle but was refused

Stheno wrote: »
    Across the road from jus de vine

I made the post, I know that. The site near baldoyle that a supermarket was meant to go into.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There was a tin church on that site in Portmarnock for decades, until the 80s. When I was a child we went to Portmarnock beach a lot, and sometimes went to mass there. As far as I know the locals are very sentimental about the site and that's probably why it hasn't been built on before now.
    There's a picture of the old church (you have to scroll down to the bottom) and information about a ceremony that took place there in 2007 here:

https://gerarderraught.com/exhault/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

It's going to be awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

It appears that planning has been granted, mad idea considering that Lidl / Aldi is a destination shop that customers drive to and theres one in Baldoyle and one in Coolock. A Dunnes just up the road, 24hr Tesco in Clarehall along with a Supervalu, Supervalu in Malahide & Sutton also. No logical reason for another supermarket in the area as there are multiples within 10 mins???? I never see anyone walking to or from a Lidl / Aldi.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/orders/245/D245989.pdf
    From loosely following the appeals I thought that it was ineveitable that planning would be granted, irrespective of an logical opjections.

There is another planning application in progess at present for a restuarant on the new block (already built so assume its just a change of use) at the corner of Carrickhill road which would be a nice amenity to the area, I'm watching this one with interest as its now the subject of an appeal.
    https://www.facebook.com/PortmarnockCommunityAssociation/posts/1050520965020365

IMO that site should have been devloped as a village centre / amentity area. The village needs a few cafes / restaurants / small shops etc. Il Panorma is doing a great trade and a few other places offering casual dining would be an excellent addition as there is a significant population within walking distance. Smyths Butchers, Mr Green, Sima coffee are all halping but they are spread apart and don;t develop enough footfall to take it to the next level. The village will never reach its potential unless it reaches a tipping point whereby there is a reason for people to stop and engage, wander around, have a coffee etc.

Seems like nothing has changed in Fingal Co Co, planning for the community interests is out the window if there is enough levies to be secured from big business. If they ran a tighter ship then they would be able to invest properly in areas. In their 2010 accounts they made provisions for bad debts in excess of €75m (Less: Provision for Doubtful Debts (75,383,193)). I havent downloaded subsequent years to follow their financial activities as that one made me sick enough.

Its another example of how inept all authorities are in this country and it is only compounded by the lack of accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Planning was granted by the planning Board who overturned their own Inspectors decision . The only possible way to object now is by way of judical review to the High Court but that is a risky road as losers pay all fees which could be between 100 to 200k.

It will ruin the Character of Portmarnock Village . Most of the people in Portmarnock would like to see the site developed but not with a monstrosity of a building.

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It's a shame. The planning board for Fingal seem to be refusing nothing though. :(

Allyall wrote: »
    It's a shame. The planning board for Fingal seem to be refusing nothing though. :(

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ :rolleyes:

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€ :rolleyes:

Yeah, no doubt.
    But don't councillors decide? Then it gets overturned...? :confused:

What is the point in the BS planning/refusal front/stuff the council do if the planning board can overturn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I rarely go into Portmarnock as there is not a lot I need in the shops/amenities.

I would definitely visit Portmarnock on at least a weekly basis if there was a Lidl/Aldi. And i'd be inclined to park up, get my shopping, then stroll around and perhaps try some of the other businesses.

I rarely go into Portmarnock as there is not a lot I need in the shops/amenities.

I would definitely visit Portmarnock on at least a weekly basis if there was a Lidl/Aldi. And i'd be inclined to park up, get my shopping, then stroll around and perhaps try some of the other businesses.

There's not a lot there, and it's unlikely enough people would share your enthusiasm, or venture further than Lidl.
    I would like to think that it would do good for businesses in the area. But i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fingal CC should be promoting small local business for the likes of Portmarnock - not just more soulless multiples

It needs little businesses that will give it some sense of being a village.. bakeries, cafes etc etc

At the moment it's a collection of ugly and disjointed strip malls and one off premises... no cohesion whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

It's going to be awful!

Lets face it Portmarnock does not have a town centre of any kind. All there is is a kind of "shanty town" of shops along Strand Road (the road from roundabout down from the DART towards the roundabout below Carrighill Rd).
    Any regular large scale multinational retailer such as Lidl would enhance the area.

It depends on your definition of enhance I guess.

Personally, I like the way it looks now, and I think plonking a Lidl there would create bottlenecks in traffic, and aesthetically, I definitely don't think it would enhance that area..

Would you visit Baldoyle on a weekly basis at the moment as theres a Lidl there? Lots of people go to Lidl but very few of them if any seem to wander around Baldoyle after

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The Council should have held off any new permission for either Lidl or Aldi ,till the Rush main street project was started,one way or the other.
    At the rate it's going ye won't be able to go any where without going past an Aldi/Lidl ,they seem to have replaced the Councils appetites for apartment block's in the recent past.
    I'm a shopper in both stores and as has been said,95% of shoppers drive there and do not have access to other shops because of their location,(some would say that it was on purpose).
    One of the few exceptions I can think of off hand is the Aldi store in Finglas ,has shops in the carpark and Lidl on the Malahide Rd ,again part of a shopping development.
    And their is of course the effect on traffic , local shops and employment to be considered,also the fact that Swords has more supermarkets(with 2 new one's being built)than ye could throw a stick at.
    It's more housing,better roads and access infrastructure and the like of the Primary Care unit in Balbriggan we need ,NOT more supermarkets.

dslamjack wrote: »
    At the rate it's going ye won't be able to go any where without going past an Aldi/Lidl

You forgot Starbucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Would you visit Baldoyle on a weekly basis at the moment as theres a Lidl there? Lots of people go to Lidl but very few of them if any seem to wander around Baldoyle after

It's a bit further out of the way. I tend to go to the one on Malahide road and would often call into Woodies, Halfords, Mc D's etc.

It's a bit further out of the way. I tend to go to the one on Malahide road and would often call into Woodies, Halfords, Mc D's etc.

Only problem with those is they are all large multi nationals though. The coffee shops, newsagent, hairdressers and other business nearby Lidl in Baldoyle or the site in Portmarnock are all small independent businesses. That retail park is more of a destination place

Only problem with those is they are all large multi nationals though. The coffee shops, newsagent, hairdressers and other business nearby Lidl in Baldoyle or the site in Portmarnock are all small independent businesses. That retail park is more of a destination place

Across from the Lidl that's going into Portmarnock, there's an off licence that will suffer, a School Uniform place that will be competing with Lidl's cheap Uniforms at the start of the School year, and a few other businesses that rely on local and passing trade, that Lidl will take some business from.
    Pharmacy, Bakery, etc..
    I don't see how having one store selling everything is going to help small local businesses, when it's main purpose is to take/win many of their customers.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Across from the Lidl that's going into Portmarnock, there's an off licence that will suffer, a School Uniform place that will be competing with Lidl's cheap Uniforms at the start of the School year, and a few other businesses that rely on local and passing trade, that Lidl will take some business from.
    Pharmacy, Bakery, etc..
    I don't see how having one store selling everything is going to help small local businesses, when it's main purpose is to take/win many of their customers.

If it takes business around from Dunnes, that can only be a good thing. I do feel sorry for the small businesses.

Advertisement