Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl in Portmarnock Village

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Not true.

I know lots of people in Portmarnock who would love a Lidl in their area, but this specific area is just a really bad idea.
    Anyone who knows the area will tell you the same.
    You clearly do not.

And besides, Lidl isn't a 'lower class' super market.
    There is a Lidl in Stillorgan, Terenure, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Dundrum.... all 'lower class' areas??

Correct, cannot understand how the traffic 'system' will be able to cope.

Most people see the problem as that, and cannot understand the location.

If you scoped the whole area of Portmarnock you could hardly fined a more likely location to provide traffic chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

mayway wrote: »
    There is no "better end". It's all crass. The Portmarnock residents simply do not want a lower class supermarket in their area. It's sad but true.

The guaranteed gridlock is just an added bonus.

What nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Guarantee there will be queues out the door when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

subpar wrote: »
    Guarantee there will be queues out the door when it opens

Probably but doesn't that support the arguments made here that it would tend to cause traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ernest wrote: »
    Probably but doesn't that support the arguments made here that it would tend to cause traffic jams.

There are traffic jams before it ever existed.

In your opinion will this extra attraction ease those traffic jams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Crane being assembled on site this morning! Building is progressing fairly fast.
    Dak

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208239061643422&set=a.3929908655363.2134262.1509135265&type=3&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Recently went through Portmarnock - store open !

So how are you all finding it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Puts the baldoyle one to shame.

It's big, open and spacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It's big, open and spacious.

It is also the only Lidl I've been in where, if you don't buy anything, you can walk straight out without having to squeeze past the people at the tills.

Still a Lidl, though, so apart from interior design, same as all the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Very modern store with very friendly staff . Traffic problems not as bad as expected but we await the kids back to school to see the effect on the area !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It's a level 7 store didn't you know! Only one in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's a level 7 store didn't you know! Only one in the country!

then what level is the one is Baldoyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was in it last week, one very odd thing I noticed was they had music playing out over the speakers, all other LIDL's I have been in are whisper quiet with no music.

The staff are a little too friendly and almost seeking a long chat from you instead of the normal "how are you/how's it going", I'm a get in and get out with my groceries as quick as I possibly can and if I want a chat I will call the Samaritans type of shopper. Perhaps they should have a special "I'd like a chat" till for people wanting to have a natter.

Getting in and out of the store on to the main road is a pure pain in the hole, it should never have got planning at the location.
    neris wrote: »

I'd say level 1 or so, it was one of the first group that opened in the country to be fair, they were pretty much selling things purely out of the boxes with little or no instore furniture across all stores initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Minus 10. Probably the only one in the country.

Don't know what level 7 means but the only thing better than the new swords one is the tills have a double loading area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

No idea. They were talking about it on the radio.
    Swords is level 6 I believe they said. Baldoyle is one of their older stores. Haven't they been trying to get planning to upgrade that store for some time?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Baldoyle is one of their older stores. Haven't they been trying to get planning to upgrade that store for some time?

they were trying to get PP to build a new store up at the crossroads on the old Grange builders site and waste land there opposite Baldoyle indst estate few years ago but was rejected

Advertisement