Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't adapt to working

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Unfortunately OPs posting history would indicate that advice, although frequently sought, is completely disregarded.

Yet another reason why he'll most likely remain unemployed/unemployable. Very few people do well in their careers unless they can work alongside others or take on board other people's thoughts and opinions. And let's face it, if you can't even hold down a job in the Dunnes and Lidls of this world, how can you expect to manage it in other fields either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yet another reason why he'll most likely remain unemployed/unemployable. Very few people do well in their careers unless they can work alongside others or take on board other people's thoughts and opinions. And let's face it, if you can't even hold down a job in the Dunnes and Lidls of this world, how can you expect to manage it in other fields either?

A long period of support/leisure at the expense of the tax payer beckons me thinks, hopefully the penny will drop at some stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

OP- my first thought when reading your posts was "are you on autistic spectrum"- I see others have suggested the same. Almost every job requires workers to be able to get on with others and build relationships. It makes the running of the business so much easier. If you are on friendly terms with someone via a bit of chit chat it makes other conversations easier- eg if you need a colleague to help you with something or stay late with you etc. try to be a team player- I used to work with I a lad who would finish his work and walk out on the dot of 6pm every day with no realisation that the rest of the team were working together to tidy up/lock up etc so everyone could leave at 6.05pm. Was he doing his job? Yes. Was he well liked and a good team player? No. Sometimes it's these little things that make a big difference in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OP- my first thought when reading your posts was "are you on autistic spectrum"- I see others have suggested the same. Almost every job requires workers to be able to get on with others and build relationships. It makes the running of the business so much easier. If you are on friendly terms with someone via a bit of chit chat it makes other conversations easier- eg if you need a colleague to help you with something or stay late with you etc. try to be a team player- I used to work with I a lad who would finish his work and walk out on the dot of 6pm every day with no realisation that the rest of the team were working together to tidy up/lock up etc so everyone could leave at 6.05pm. Was he doing his job? Yes. Was he well liked and a good team player? No. Sometimes it's these little things that make a big difference in the workplace.

I'd have to disagree to that. Your time is the most valuable thing you have. Staying back is rarely thanked. Work is generally a means to an end. I think this team player stuff is nonsense. People have enough going on in their lives, more important things, such as family time etc, but I do suspect your right in this case about autism. It's fairly common but requires help to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

WittyName1 wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057489385/1/#post96907836

That thread you started 9 months ago states you have never had a job before.....

can a mod close this or something a bit pointless if he's just going around lying about stuff,

why start a thread saying youve never worked before then start a thread saying youve been working for years but cant hold down a job?

wasting peoples time.

• Advertisement

Where did he say he has been working for years? He has admitted in the thread that his work experience is limited. His problem is that when he lands jobs, he's let go quickly. He has had plenty of time since that thread to get jobs in supermarkets and the likes. If he can't hold onto a job for long, he could have worked in a few places.

My work experience is limited but ive been in enough positions to know that all the workplace environments are the same, whether it be a gym, an office, a supermarket, fast food place

Where did he say he has been working for years? He has admitted in the thread that his work experience is limited. His problem is that when he lands jobs, he's let go quickly. He has had plenty of time since that thread to get jobs in supermarkets and the likes. If he can't hold onto a job for long, he could have worked in a few places.

my understanding of it is that if he posted in 2011 saying he was getting his first job then he had to have been working (or trying to work)since then, thats 5 years.

he also posted saying he had an interview for dunnes and what to wear five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭wench

my understanding of it is that if he posted in 2011 saying he was getting his first job then he had to have been working (or trying to work)since then, thats 5 years.

he also posted saying he had an interview for dunnes and what to wear five years ago.
    Those threads were from april and may last year.
    His joining date was 2011, maybe that's what you were looking at

wench wrote: »
    Those threads were from april and may last year.
    His joining date was 2011, maybe that's what you were looking at

ahhh okay just spotted that thanks.

still dont understand how one gets to 24 and has never had a job though,
    maybe its a generation thing i worked from 14/15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

My work experience is limited but ive been in enough positions to know that all the workplace environments are the same, whether it be a gym, an office, a supermarket, fast food place
    He has been in a gym, office, supermarket & fast food place. I don't think he actually said he worked there. He was just in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can sympathise with the OP in this thread, the amount of bull that goes on in some places, especially the likes of supermarkets is outrageous. I started in one when I was 16 and was immediately told to do things that I'd not been shown and expected to know immediately what to do and treated like an idiot because I questioned it. I was working long hours that I later found to be illegal, both in length of time and hours worked until. Was moved from the shop floor to the checkouts after 2 or 3 months, where I was told I'd never work and suddenly have to put up with supervisors that had clearly never done a lick of work in their life but were chatty have you sit there for 4 hours at a time while working the illegally long shifts. I was also selling alcohol when 16.

I would then be questioned on why I wasn't showing huge enthusiasm for the job. I wouldn't be the most talkative but I would have had plenty of common interests with people and would be able to talk to colleagues. Would be getting in trouble for coming in unshaven despite the fact I was going from school to work, home to sleep and back again, never complained about it (in work obviously, outside was a different story :p)

While they did realise a lot of the things that they were doing wrong and stopped them (after about a year), I've no doubt that other places are doing them and the same place replaced them with other violations.

eezipc wrote: »
    He has been in a gym, office, supermarket & fast food place. I don't think he actually said he worked there. He was just in them.
    That's what I took from it too :??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Look, you complain about bosses being 'two-faced' by giving out to you one minute then talking about something else. Or work colleagues not carrying on an argument with you the following day - that isn't two-faced, that is just being professional. Workplace disagreements happen, you move on as quickly as possible and do your job, it isn't a personal thing. It is the guy taking it personally and 'looking at them like they have two heads' days after some meaningless disagreement is the guy who is in the wrong here. Who wants to work with someone like that? Answer: nobody. You say you are there to do the job yet you are the guy personalising disagreements here.

Also, you say you know what all workplaces are like; I'll spell it out for you, you have worked for around a year in 3-4 different low end jobs - you haven't a clue what all workplaces are like. Low end jobs like these do not have any large requirement for expertise - you aren't curing cancer or splitting the atom, so maybe realise it isnt all about being good at the tasks - most of them are simple tasks. Then maybe you will realise that being physically able to do simple tasks is not going to keep you these jobs if you are hard work to get on with. There is always someone looking to take your job.

Finnally OP, half the thread thinks you have some level of autism - if that isn't a wake up call for you as regards how you come across then I don't know what is. I don't think you do have autism, I just think you are self-absorbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    People have enough going on in their lives, more important things, such as family time etc,

Yes everybody does. That's why it is better for everybody if they work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes everybody does. That's why it is better for everybody if they work together.

True but you cannot allow your working life control you. There's more important things to attend to outside of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    True but you cannot allow your working life control you. There's more important things to attend to outside of it

I don't think anyone here is in favour of that. But in a situation where there are few extra jobs to be finished off for instance after the last customer leaves, it is downright selfish if one person consistently leaves it to colleagues thus making them work even longer.

Advertisement