Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to find a place?

Options
  • 13-05-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So, I recently moved back to Dublin with my husband. We were living in Asia for over 4 years.

I've got a job and a fairly good one at that but we are just shipping from airbnb to airbnb. We can't find anywhere to live. Every viewing we go to there are tons of people. They always want tons of info from us. We're not even looking for anywhere fancy! we want a one bed or a studio would do.

How long is it going to take us? Is it possible that we won't even find anything? That's how I'm feeling right now. I've been doing all the usual things recommended here like dressing well.

Is anyone else in the same position? How long is realistic to find somewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi all,

So, I recently moved back to Ireland with my husband. We were living in Asia for over 4 years.

I've got a job and a fairly good one at that but we are just shipping from airbnb to airbnb. We can't find anywhere to live. Every viewing we go to there are tons of people. They always want tons of info from us. We're not even looking for anywhere fancy! we want a one bed or a studio would do.

How long is it going to take us? Is it possible that we won't even find anything? That's how I'm feeling right now. I've been doing all the usual things recommended here like dressing well.

Is anyone else in the same position? How long is realistic to find somewhere?

Where are you looking to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Stheno wrote: »
    Where are you looking to live?

Oh sorry! I completely forgot to put that in my post. I'll edit it now.

Dublin.

My brain is just so fried with the stress.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh sorry! I completely forgot to put that in my post. I'll edit it now.

Dublin.

My brain is just so fried with the stress.

The closer to the city centre the harder and Morse expensive it's going to be.

Where are you based work wise?

The closer to the city centre the harder and Morse expensive it's going to be.

Where are you based work wise?

I work in Grand Canal Dock. But I honestly would settle for anywhere that is a somewhat reasonable distance.

We were in a lift on the way down from a viewing the other day and two of the people were taking and saying it was 'ages' that they'd been looking. I'm just getting worried that it'll come to me having to quit my job because I can't find somewhere to live.

I work in Grand Canal Dock. But I honestly would settle for anywhere that is a somewhat reasonable distance.

We were in a lift on the way down from a viewing the other day and two of the people were taking and saying it was 'ages' that they'd been looking. I'm just getting worried that it'll come to me having to quit my job because I can't find somewhere to live.

Where have you been looking? With that work location you are on the dart line which is expensive but an option to move further out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you looking along the DART and Luas lines? There's a major housing crisis in Ireland and Dublin especially so you might need to extend where you are willing to live and put up with a commute

Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking outside the DART and luas because I honestly don't mind just cycling or getting a couple of buses.

Our budget is 1,200pm. Is that just not enough now?

Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking outside the DART and luas because I honestly don't mind just cycling or getting a couple of buses.

Our budget is 1,200pm. Is that just not enough now?

For a one bed? It would get you a place in the likes of swords where I live

For a one bed? It would get you a place in the likes of swords where I live

Do you think the demand is super high there too? What is really depressing at the minute is showing up and there are 20 other people there.

Do you think the demand is super high there too? What is really depressing at the minute is showing up and there are 20 other people there.

Probably not as bad as closer to the city

• Advertisement

Probably not as bad as closer to the city

Well, all I can do is give it a try. I'm just getting very down about the whole thing.

I'm just wondering how long it is taking people and if I should just give up, let down my job, before I loose all my savings to airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

A friend of mine is in the same situation as yourself, OP, came across this http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/North-Wall-Quay-10-Dublin-1-Dublin-City-Centre/1645611/ while looking, over 4,000, has to be a typo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you tried out around Blanchardstown? Three train stations all heading into Connolly/Docklands so should suit you.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have you tried out around Blanchardstown? Three train stations all heading into Connolly/Docklands so should suit you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look more closely there, I didn't realise it had such good links to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Try out around Sandyford, Leopardstown or Stepaside. Takes half hour into town on the Luas. We recently came back from abroad and it took over a month to find a place. Queues were crazy to each viewing. We had to up the budget to 1400 to find a decent 1 bed apt. Crazy what's going on in Dublin at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Have you got all the stuff they ask for ready and on you at the viewings? Employer references, landlord references (may not be possible in your case but perhaps include a note to say you were living abroad last 4 years so they don't just think no landlord would give you a reference), equivalent of 2 months rent (for a deposit and first month rent) etc. Have them all ready to hand over if necessary and it should help. If you don't have them on hand or ready to send in an application within a day or two you're pretty much immediately out of the running.

Konata wrote: »
    Have you got all the stuff they ask for ready and on you at the viewings? Employer references, landlord references (may not be possible in your case but perhaps include a note to say you were living abroad last 4 years so they don't just think no landlord would give you a reference), equivalent of 2 months rent (for a deposit and first month rent) etc. Have them all ready to hand over if necessary and it should help. If you don't have them on hand or ready to send in an application within a day or two you're pretty much immediately out of the running.

Have all that stuff ready to go but still no success.

I have a good few appointments/viewings coming up with landlords and not letting agents. Even dealing with them via email/on the phone has been 100 times more positive than with the letting agents. So I'm hoping that it will go better this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Turn up suited and booted with a folder containing all your references and 3 months bank statements.

It's going to be more difficult for yourself as you've not been resident in the last 4 years. Some LL's will be much easier going than EA's, who frankly will always take the route of least work which is why I don't use one. Some LL's as you know will be a massive pain in the hole, don't let stress force you into a bad decision.

Personally I fall somewhere in the middle. If a tenant is forthcoming with everything I ask for I'm predisposed to rent to them. I'm very easygoing and like easy going people. I didn't look at half the stuff I was handed including bank statements, I had a good vibe, thankfully my tea leaf reading as so far turned out well, touch wood.

As for areas. Dublin 8 - Viking Harbour, The Maltings etc, should get you a small one bed at around 1100 per month. Again if you get an easy going tenant you might even be willing to negotiate - I did with my tenants, everyone ends up happy out. They didn't want the parking space. That's never going to happen with an EA. Dublin 7 on the periphery of Smithfield should also yield some results. These areas are a little less desirable but nowhere near as rough as some areas in D1. After that it's really coming out beyond the M50 I'd say these days. Suburban Dublin inside the M50 is in higher demand than the City in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

One or two of the morning and evening services from Clonsilla/Coolmine/Castleknock have direct services to Grand Canal (journey approx 35 mins) or else just a short wait for a connecting DART at Pearse so you could extend your search to a lot of Dublin 15 (Ongar, Blanch, Clonsilla, Carpenterstown/Coolmine/Castleknock) all which are feasible walking distances to those stations.

A second route from Dunboyne to Docklands is about 15 mins walk to Grand Canal area using Samuel Beckett Bridge.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I may be able to help you out. I own a studio apartment in Dublin 5 that is currently not rented but will be going on the market in the next two weeks. I'm looking for good tenants and don't really want to deal with 100 + applications , PM me and I'll give details if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Was going to suggest the same! I'm in a three bed house very close to Coolmine station for €1,100 per month, granted that's cheap for the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hopefully the above works out for you. Someone mentioned Swords.... have you considered the likes of Balbriggan? It's 45 mins on the train, is serviced by Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann and it's right by the M1. You could easily get a house with your budget or an apartment with money left over.

Advertisement