Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Weir Bridge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's a real shame. I can understand why the communities are opposed to it, but in the long run I think it would be beneficial for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

zulutango wrote: »
    That's a real shame. I can understand why the communities are opposed to it, but in the long run I think it would be beneficial for them.

Isn't it just a walking bridge, can't see much benefit it would bring except knock time off your walk if you were going from one side of the river to the otherside.

Residents whose houses face the river are the only people who really oppose it as they'll be the ones with the most hassle from scobes who might want to cause trouble, regeneration think it's the first step to help solving the on-going feud. There was talk of them trying to build a road from the island to the long pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

The Council need to talk to the residents and inform them of the good it can bring to the area. You look at O' Callaghan Strand, Clancy Strand, Haverys Quay and even look at the Canal bank along the Plassey walk, and the footfall they bring. Browns Quay & Thomond weir and the Island need to be more open. For me, Kings Island is the most beautiful part of Limerick. You are on an island surrounded by water, in a medieval part of the city with a backdrop of mountains. If it was any other city in the world then the rich and those that have, would be living here. I'm not even sure they appreciate what they have! To be honest i'd scrap the Regeneration and be better off having it all knocked and rebuilt with a mixture of houses & apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

damowill wrote: »
    The Council need to talk to the residents and inform them of the good it can bring to the area. You look at O' Callaghan Strand, Clancy Strand, Haverys Quay and even look at the Canal bank along the Plassey walk, and the footfall they bring. Browns Quay & Thomond weir and the Island need to be more open. For me, Kings Island is the most beautiful part of Limerick. You are on an island surrounded by water, in a medieval part of the city with a backdrop of mountains. If it was any other city in the world then the rich and those that have, would be living here. I'm not even sure they appreciate what they have! To be honest i'd scrap the Regeneration and be better off having it all knocked and rebuilt with a mixture of houses & apartments.

Have you walked the island bank lately? And what benefits is a bridge between thomondgate and the island gonna bring? Any footfall is gonna be at thomond bridge anyway and comes down the strand onto the island bank and can only get as far as the handball ally.

And I agree the place should have been flattened and rebuilt again with a mixture of housing.

Advertisement