Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for bank statements and private info

Options
  • 13-05-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all went to view a house today as well as the usual references photo id they also want a 3 month bank statement and a NDI calculation so a break down of what we earn monthly our loan repayments and other repayments and our net disposable income....I'm a bit annoyed because they won't accept the application without this info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi all went to view a house today as well as the usual references photo id they also want a 3 month bank statement and a NDI calculation so a break down of what we earn monthly our loan repayments and other repayments and our net disposable income....I'm a bit annoyed because they won't accept the application without this info

Yeah, same here. I didn't submit one application recently because not only did they want the usual stuff, they wanted DOB, 3 months statements for both of us. And they said they would have to call my boss to confirm i really work there. I thought that was a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Is this for a rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭marykitty47

Yes for a rental property

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭marykitty47

Is this for a rental?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Was talking to a relative in the US recently and he mentioned that this was becoming the norm over there. Landlords are afraid of declining any potential tenant in case they take an action against the landlord for discrimination. Such alleged discrimination could be based upon race / gender / whatever. So, to protect themselves, landlords are now increasingly seeking bank statements and financial info from all applicants in order to transparently base their selection on analysis of that info. They feel safer doing this, and more protected against alleged discrimination. It is not illegal to discriminate based upon ability to pay on time, yet.
    I can see it becoming more common in Ireland.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Fairly standard over here. Landlords just trying to protect their investment, can't really blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

As a landlord, I never ask for this sort of personal info. I wouldn't give it to anyone myself so why would I ask for it?
    The reality is that these days someone could falsify bank statements anyway or someone could have lots of money and still decide to mess you about and not pay...

You are also giving away your ability to pay info for if/when the rent review comes....

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Ten years ago I rented a property in Dublin to an Italian couple. They came armed with all of that info to the viewing. It was obviously something they expected to have to show.

It's incredibly difficult to get a troublesome or non-paying tenant out of a property. It can take over a year & be hugely costly financially & emotionally.
    I think more & more landlords will require extra background information on potential tenants, before they had over the keys of a property on the basis of a signature on a lease & two months rent. It's just too risky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

testicles wrote: »

Is it illegal if it's giving up voluntarily?
    Data protection complaints are for breaches of personal data.

• Advertisement

You'll either do it and have a chance at the property or you won't and won't.

DPC hasnt a role here imo

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

theteal wrote: »
    Fairly standard over here. Landlords just trying to protect their investment, can't really blame them.

Tenants just trying to protect their personal, private information, can't really blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Love it when people start shouting about the data protection act. Why would this be an issue under data protection? The landlord has asked for this information. It's up to the OP whether the he gives it or not. There's no law being broken asking for the information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Tenants just trying to protect their personal, private information, can't really blame them

No one forcing them to hand the information over though. Everyone is welcome to walk away after being asked for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

It's not illegal to ask, but once the landlord is in possession of the information, he becomes a data controller and has responsibilities under the data protection act to store and use the information properly.

Ask him for a look at his data protection policy

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Step too far in my view.

I'd certainly never consider asking for it. But I'm not in the Dublin market.

Dublin is becoming a different animal and I suppose people are becoming more and more desperate for suitable rentals.

If I were a tenant I think I'd rather be asked for 3 months deposit than give up this level of personal documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The LL may not keep the info. He may ask the tenant to produce it, look at it & decide whether or not he is happy that the level of income & expenditure would support the tenant's ability to pay rent.
    If he doesn't keep or store the information data protection is irrelevant. Unless his brain counts as a data storage unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

April 73 wrote: »
    The LL may not keep the info. ...

This is true, we don't know what he is going to do with it. To cover himself it would be quite simple for the LL to have a DP policy that states

No information will be kept or stored. The information will be used for xxxx.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kceire wrote: »
    Data protection complaints are for breaches of personal data.

That's only one of the types of complaint.

Others would include

Excessive information
    Non registration as a data controller
    Inaccurate information
    Unnecessary retention of information
    Security of Information stored......

• Advertisement

Absolute madness imo, a LL shouldn't be allowed to ask for any more than a reference from employer and previous LL along with a months rent and a deposit of one months rent.

Don't give people leases and kick them inside the first 6 months (before part 4 kicks in) if they are showing any sign of trouble.

Absolute madness imo, a LL shouldn't be allowed to ask for any more than a reference from employer and previous LL along with a months rent and a deposit of one months rent.

Don't give people leases and kick them inside the first 6 months (before part 4 kicks in) if they are showing any sign of trouble.

Ending the tenancy inside the first 6 months is relatively straightforward. Getting tenants out if they refuse to move, isn't. It's understandable that landlords seek to avoid that scenario in the first place by thoroughly vetting potential tenants.

That's not to say I particularly like the approach, but I do understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We had this recently going to see a place.. I just said I didnt really feel comfortable given that kinda of information to view the property..They said grand ne stress, we went to view it in the end.. I wouldnt mind given them maybe a copy of wage slips with details blocked out but not banking details but as mentioned it is up to you.. You dont have to do anything

Graham wrote: »
    Ending the tenancy inside the first 6 months is relatively straightforward. Getting tenants out if they refuse to move, isn't. It's understandable that landlords seek to avoid that scenario in the first place by thoroughly vetting potential tenants.

That's not to say I particularly like the approach, but I do understand it.

They have no part 4 protections in the first few months, if they won't move change the locks and leave their stuff in the garden.

Or just rent rooms seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

They have no part 4 protections in the first few months, if they won't move change the locks and leave their stuff in the garden.

Or just rent rooms seperately.

That is still an illegal eviction. Even if you don't have part 4, they have rights

If you give them licensee agreements, you can't claim mortgage interest relief

Regardless of where people agree with the what OP was asked. Look at it from the standpoint of the LL. They want to put their asset which could be worth anywhere from €180k to 1 million in Dublin in the hands of someone who is responsible. IMO financial responsible is a good indicator of that.

There is no solid way for a landlord to check if a tenant is credit worthy other than their bank statements. If a tenant doesnt pay their rent. A landlord can end up 12 months out of pocket waiting for the PRTB to start the eviction process.

If you dont agree with the LL's policy, find somewhere else. A basic loan from your CU will ask for the exact same things. They may only have a few hundred to loose and can report your default on your credit rating. The landlord doesnt have any of that

testicles wrote: »

I though some credit unions were now members of the ICB.

There is nothing to stop prospective landlords asking for this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No chance would I give this level of information to effectively some randomer that I probably will never see unless there's an issue with the property. A work reference, reference from previous LL and deposit should be enough.

If LL's are that concerned about their "investment" that the above isn't good enough then maybe landlording just isn't for them.

Flip it around.. how does a tenant know the LL has the ability to pay the mortgage and they won't get a letter through the door telling them the bank is turfing them out, or some vulture fund has bought the place and is hiking the rent significantly.

• Advertisement

You are under no obligation to provide a potential landlord with anything at all.

Likewise, nothing at all to stop the landlord moving straight onto the next potential tenant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement