Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for bank statements and private info

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beauf wrote: »

Doesn't cover the tenant not paying or the tenant refusing to move or the legal costs associated with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

To all those Landlords saying that the Data Protection Acts don't apply or don't believe many of the things suggested on this thread would be considered irrelevant or excessive; there is one way to find out, let's submit a complaint to the DPA and ask her to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Maireadio wrote: »
    If everyone refuses to provide all that information, then we're back to square one. And personally I hope people do push back. Like I said, the best tenants might not be the ones to provide it. So you find someone who gives you the information, but are they who you want?
    Most of that stuff up to and including the credit score is standard in Germany. I presume it's common elsewhere too, so applicants from these countries will be perfectly happy to hand over all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

murphaph wrote: »
    Most of that stuff up to and including the credit score is standard in Germany.

This isn't Germany. Just because people do it that way there, doesn't mean it's right. It's just what's done there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 108 ✭✭Shawn Michaels

I did some reading up on the Data Protection Act(s).

According to Ireland's biggest law firm, Arthur Cox, the law applies to individuals or organisations established in Ireland that collect, store, or process data about living people on any type of computer or in a structured filing system.

Asking to see information provided by a tenant but not retaining it does not fall under the remit of the Data Protection Acts.

As I suspected, I'm fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Maireadio wrote: »
    This isn't Germany. Just because people do it that way there, doesn't mean it's right. It's just what's done there.
    Ah read the whole post will you. It's simply true that most of what people are flipping out about here already passed as normal in other countries. There are plenty of prospective foreign tenants who will have no qualms about sharing this kind of data with a prospective landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed for mod review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement