Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 Years Ago Today - Manchester City 3-2 QPR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

And tomorrow is four years and a day since it happened. Amazing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

God, what a killer few minutes. Thinking it was won then having it torn away :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was in DCU library studying for my finals and only following the game on livescore.

Only for the deathly silence of the place to be broken by "OH MY ****ING GOD!" from a classmate of mine lacking in decorum :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Paully D wrote: »
    A superb day of football.

It's hard to see that finish to a season ever being beaten.

It was beaten 23 years earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

1989 was more dramatic imo

• Advertisement

Some day alright. The gif from Sunderland game was quality

kfallon wrote: »
    1989 was more dramatic imo

In reality they were on a par I suppose.

But for me its a perfect example of how over time ones interest wanes.

1989 resonates with me more as I was 17 at the time, watched it at home, and had little else to bother me.

In 2012 I was 40 and at a Peppa Pig show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Watching this I went from jumping up and down with glee to sitting stunned, hands on head, wondering how the hell that could have happened.

I found that day's live thread from this forum, for anyone interested. Here it is just after QPR went 2-1 ahead...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638151&page=15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In reality they were on a par I suppose.

But for me its a perfect example of how over time ones interest wanes.

1989 resonates with me more as I was 17 at the time, watched it at home, and had little else to bother me.

In 2012 I was 40 and at a Peppa Pig show.

I think the fact '89 was a straight shoot out between the top 2 on the last night of the season puts it above 2012 for me! The game in '89 should not have been the last game but for the terrible tragedy at Hillsborough which meant the game was rescheduled.

Arsenal did the unthinkable, went to Anfield and beat a then rampant Liverpool by 2 clear goals.....and broke my 10 year old heart in the process :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Unquestionably, my best ever football experience in my 53 years. Lucky enough to get a ticket on the day and the utter pandemonium when Sergio scored will live with me forever. Ended up going arse over tit over the seat behind me.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

A very special day and moment in football history. It would have been awful harsh for City not to win it that season, but the manner they won in it in will hardly be outdone. Absolute madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What a 4 minutes. Had a quick flick back to that thread to see it all play out. The funniest bits are the 'the best scriptwriters in Hollywood couldn't have written this'. A team scores 2 goals.......have you seen Inception lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CSF wrote: »
    What a 4 minutes. Had a quick flick back to that thread to see it all play out. The funniest bits are the 'the best scriptwriters in Hollywood couldn't have written this'. A team scores 2 goals.......have you seen Inception lads?

I much prefered this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

doncarlos wrote: »
    I much prefered this one.

Get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

KpSCNqd.jpg

kfallon wrote: »
    I think the fact '89 was a straight shoot out between the top 2 on the last night of the season puts it above 2012 for me! The game in '89 should not have been the last game but for the terrible tragedy at Hillsborough which meant the game was rescheduled.

Arsenal did the unthinkable, went to Anfield and beat a then rampant Liverpool by 2 clear goals.....and broke my 10 year old heart in the process :(

Another factor was that Liverpool were going for the double for a second time, something that had never been done.

They had been denied the previous year v Wimbledon.

To all the young ones out there the a league and FA cup double was a big deal once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Hard to believe one of them, probably Utd, won't be playing CL football next season considering the resources they both have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And tomorrow is four years and a day since it happened. Amazing.

Spot the bitter Utd fan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Shels love blowing up in last few minutes of seasons. Yer well used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Watching this I went from jumping up and down with glee to sitting stunned, hands on head, wondering how the hell that could have happened.

I found that day's live thread from this forum, for anyone interested. Here it is just after QPR went 2-1 ahead...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638151&page=15

Plasmaguy had an absolute nightmare in that thread.:pac:, with his gloating and predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Paully D wrote: »

It's hard to see that finish to a season ever being beaten.

The 1989 finish was way better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I was in DCU library studying for my finals and only following the game on livescore.

Only for the deathly silence of the place to be broken by "OH MY ****ING GOD!" from a classmate of mine lacking in decorum :D

Ha, I was in DCU library myself that day. Just as your friend yelled that my heart broke :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Plasmaguy had an absolute nightmare in that thread.:pac:, with his gloating and predictions.

Post of the century was in there too from a Utd fan.

Something like... 'Fergie's mind games win again. Mancini should have known that you can never consider it over till it's mathematically impossible to lose'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

gosplan wrote: »
    Post of the century was in there too from a Utd fan.

Something like... 'Fergie's mind games win again. Mancini should have known that you can never consider it over till it's mathematically impossible to lose'

Saw that, couldn't have been a better set up if he tried.:)

Advertisement