Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a hard time understanding if I can use my phone in Canada

Options
  • 13-05-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi all.

I was about to order a SIM Card to put in my phone before heading to Canada for a week at the beginning of June, but I'm having a hard time understanding what bands my phone supports and how to check them properly.

First of all, the phone is an HTC One M7 that was bought in Italy. I went to willmyphonework.net and found out that I need the submodel of my phone. I looked in the boot screen, I used the Hardware Info app, I also went in Settings -> Phone Identity, but I couldn't find it.

So I put my IMEI in imeidata.net and immediately it came out that it's a PN07110. I was expecting a PN07100, as even in willmyphonework is flagged as "EU" version, while PN07110 is Taiwan. I wanted to double-check, and I used willmyphonework to check if PN07110 would have worked in Italy under the TIM network (as I used it there) and... it says it's fine for 2G and 3G but the device does not support the LTE bands. This is incorrect as I used the same phone there in 4G.

Now I don't know if imeidata.net has the wrong information, or if there's something I'm doing wrong. I have no idea how to find that submodel using my phone because it's nowhere in the places I've described earlier. I'd really like to figure out which bands my phone supports, and if it will work with at least Canada's 3G bands 850 and 1900 MHz.

I'm clueless :confused: I hope someone can advise!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

According to this all models have the same 3G bands, including 850 and 1900.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one-5313.php

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Yes it will work on any GSM network in the US or Canada. Just make sure your SIM card will work. Call the operator first to ensure it will work in Canada. I bought a SIM for traveling as they had good roaming rates only to find out they did not work in China.....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Thank you!

Yes I said I was ordering a SIM, but after a long search I think buying one directly there is more convenient... Probably at 7 Eleven. Similicious and Telestial (Virgin Media for CA) have monstrous prices for a data SIM with a few Megabytes of allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Thank you!

Yes I said I was ordering a SIM, but after a long search I think buying one directly there is more convenient... Probably at 7 Eleven. Similicious and Telestial (Virgin Media for CA) have monstrous prices for a data SIM with a few Megabytes of allowance.

Before you do make sure your phone is unlocked. It sounds like it is if you bought it in Italy and using it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

schaffer wrote: »
    Before you do make sure your phone is unlocked. It sounds like it is if you bought it in Italy and using it here.

Yes all phones bought there must be unlocked by law. Can't use my Three HTC 10 so I'm also bringing my old one just for the connection!

• Advertisement
Advertisement