Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wireless router has fubared my home network

Options
  • 13-05-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So my original setup was:

UPC wireless router -> Gigabit 8 port hub

Router IP address was 192.168.0.1
    All LAN and wireless IP addresses were 192.168.0.x

Everything worked fine. I had port forwarding set up on the UPC router and could remotely ssh into PCs etc

However the wireless range on the upc router was muck. So I bought a really good Asus N66u wireless router.

All devices are working internally. The UPC modem/router still has the ip 192.168.0.1. It is then connected to the new wireless router which is then connected to my hub and all my devices. The wireless router, my LAN and wireless IPs are all 192.168.1.x

However when I look at all my 'connected clients' in the UPC router it only sees 192.168.0.11 (which I presume is my wireless router) which is fine.

But how do I set up the port forwarding?

My ssh server is at 192.168.1.167. But when I try to forward that in the UPC router it times out if I try to connect to it. But can the upc router "see" an IP address of 192.168.1.167?

Do I need to set the new wireless router up as an "access point"? If so do I disable DHCP on the upc router or the wireless router?

It's all very confusing :)

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Let the UPC handle DHCP and set the new wireless up as the access point. There's usually an option in there for bridge mode or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For simplicity here you need to set up the Asus as an AP. And its a switch not a hub!

Asus: Dhcp off, not conected via wan but via lan should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thanks you were both right. The Asus needed to be an Access Point, which I had actually tried.

But what you need to make sure is to NOT plug the ethernet cable from the upc router to ASUS wireless router into the WAN port. It needs to go into a normal LAN port.

Edit: you said it there at the bottom of your post.

I'm still having problems SSH'ing into my devices remotely using the port forwarding. But the rest of the IP setup seems similar now so I'll figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

quarryman wrote: »
    Thanks you were both right. The Asus needed to be an Access Point, which I had actually tried.

But what you need to make sure is to NOT plug the ethernet cable from the upc router to ASUS wireless router into the WAN port. It needs to go into a normal LAN port.

Edit: you said it there at the bottom of your post.

I'm still having problems SSH'ing into my devices remotely using the port forwarding. But the rest of the IP setup seems similar now so I'll figure it out.

Its likely that their IP's have changed because of the length of time they were disconnected from the UPC box.

Advertisement