Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending wireless to an outside shed

• 13-05-2016 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

We have wireless internet in our house and my father wants to extend the internet to his office which is about 100ft from our house.

I think the only way to do this is by running a cable from the house outwards - which is not really feasible.

Is there any way this can be done using homeplugs and wireless extenders to 'jump' the signal from one plug circuit to the next?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At that range HPs will likely be poor. Buy two Ubiquiti nanostations and setup a wireless p2p link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would they work inside a shed with tin roof, steel beams and trusses?

Why would I need two - it seems to state ranges using km units on the spec pages?

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. It sounds like an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

If they are on the same meter and preferably the same circuit, the home plugs might work. I've seen reports of them working in places up to 50 m distance. I've got some working fine at about 30m. They won't work across meters..
    Would be ideal if you had a socket for the home plug at the circuit board that was on the same circuit as the garage supply.
    The tp line nano ones are good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would they work inside a shed with tin roof, steel beams and trusses?

Why would I need two - it seems to state ranges using km units on the spec pages?

Thanks - appreciate the suggestion. It sounds like an option.

You need a pair, its point to point. One gets bolted to the house, the other the shed, the you place a basic access point inside the shed (any old belkin etc would do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

wil wrote: »
    If they are on the same meter and preferably the same circuit, the home plugs might work. I've seen reports of them working in places up to 50 m distance. I've got some working fine at about 30m. They won't work across meters..
    Would be ideal if you had a socket for the home plug at the circuit board that was on the same circuit as the garage supply.
    The tp line nano ones are good value.

Not a chance they work over 100 meters, although today was the day I find out they adapted the the standard to work over twisted pair to 1.5km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

ED E wrote: »
    You need a pair, its point to point. One gets bolted to the house, the other the shed, the you place a basic access point inside the shed (any old belkin etc would do).
    Is it difficult to set up and could I send camera feeds back in the opposite direction (from shed into house?).

Advertisement