Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

• 14-05-2016 12:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

yes or no

Will Jose Mourinho be manager of Manchester United at the start of next season? 205 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 205 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Maybe.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,628 ✭✭✭✭Sand

yes or no

Definitely no. Manchester United, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ask the dogs on the street.
    They appear to be a knowledge bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Up until about 2 weeks ago I thought it was nailed on but now I've a real fear that lvg will continue next season with giggs taking up the role as planned next summer. A long couple of years ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yes
    no
    maybe
    I dont know
    Can you repeat the question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Well a poll on boards will surely settle it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Atari Jaguar!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

"If he is manager next season then it is a yes, if he isn't then it's a no" - Micheal Owen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm sure it's been decided behind the scenes but cannot be made official yet. Once CL qualification is not achieved then compensation for sacking him will probably be lessened and it should be easier for the club to justify to LVG as no doubt that was one of his main targets for the season. They will obviously also wait until after the FA cup final too and ideally a win there would allow LVG to ride off into the sunset not looking too bad as Jose steps in.

Of course that's from the outside looking in obviously the fear is they stubbornly persevere with LVG and hope he will train up Giggs to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

100% yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Headshot wrote: »
    yes
    no
    maybe
    I dont know
    Can you repeat the question

You're not the boss of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but.......

Definitely maybe anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is this a roundabout kind of way of asking if LVG and Man Utd are done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I think it's a critical time for the club and they must know that they need to appoint Jose. It's very worrying that Sky are reporting no deal in place and LVG is talking about working on the attack for next season.

If I had to say it's prob 80/20 in favour of him staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If City mess up and he gets 4th and wins the FA Cup, it'd be hard to sack him, without a large payout.

If they don't get 4th, he's gone regardless of FA Cup success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

One thing that I never see mentioned on these forums is the fact that Jose will be hauled up in front of a tribunal in June over the whole Eva Carneiro mess.

He's being charged with sexual discrimination and apparently the case is pretty strong. Chelsea refused to indemnify him, so any damages will come out of his own pocket.

Its a public tribunal, so we'll be able to read every text he sent her, testimony from Eva, and statements from players.

In short: Jose's name is going to get dragged through the mud, he'll be found guilty of sexual discrimination and he'll be forced to pay a 6 figure sum in damages.

This is what I think is holding Utd back. Jose's agent, Jorge Mendes, has been planting rumors in the press since January to try and force the Utd board to bend to the will of public sentiment.
    It's been quite an aggressive campaign, and the fact that it hasn't really slowed down makes me think the Utd board haven't contacted them (and are probably quite annoyed at the intimidation tactics being used).

I've voted No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Of course he will be ... Because that solves United's problems :o

Frank de Boer FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Umaro wrote: »
    One thing that I never see mentioned on these forums is the fact that Jose will be hauled up in front of a tribunal in June over the whole Eva Carneiro mess.

He's being charged with sexual discrimination and apparently the case is pretty strong. Chelsea refused to indemnify him, so any damages will come out of his own pocket.

Its a public tribunal, so we'll be able to read every text he sent her, testimony from Eva, and statements from players.

In short: Jose's name is going to get dragged through the mud, he'll be found guilty of sexual discrimination and he'll be forced to pay a 6 figure sum in damages.

This is what I think is holding Utd back. Jose's agent, Jorge Mendes, has been planting rumors in the press since January to try and force the Utd board to bend to the will of public sentiment.
    It's been quite an aggressive campaign, and the fact that it hasn't really slowed down makes me think the Utd board haven't contacted them (and are probably quite annoyed at the intimidation tactics being used).

I've voted No.

Agree completely.

Had a rational discussion with a united fan who wants LVG gone as much as most of the mob here. He conceded that he is just fedup but accepts replacing LVG may not be the answer.

Jose is damaged goods and fans are simply desperate for the club to do anything to give the illusion like it's taking positive action. In short , changing for the sake of looking like you are doing something. Sometimes comitting to a manager pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Like I said, Spurs fans wanted their manager sacked in September. This doesn't guarantee LVG will succeed but sticking with him won't guarantee failure either.

LVG staying is nowhere near as bad as some people think. Change does not equate to better it just means change. Asides from the fact that Joses teams do not entertain , I am concerned that the squad we have is not suited to his strengths. Jose is not famous for nurturing youngsters or helping them improve, he's more a "get the most out of an experienced, top 3 team" kind of manager.

Then there's the question of "who else"? I would of been happy for the club to get Klopp and maybe anchelloti but that's about it. I don't know how good pep would be with a squad like United (he inherited bulletproof squads at barca and Bayern).

LVG has built up a nice youngish looking squad with great potential. I think a this stage there is as much to lose sacking him and replacing him with a manager who will start another rebuild as there is letting him finish out his final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Umaro wrote: »
    I've voted No.

If not Jose Mourinho then who?

The club have missed on all the best alternatives like Klopp, Ancelotti and Guardiola so who would like to see instead of Mourinho?

Another year of LVG is about to be sacked every week?

Giggs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I hope yes.

I fear no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think PSG will make him an offer so obscene it would be an insult to turn them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Yes.

If the club decide to keep LVG then the speculation round his position would continue unabated all through next season. He's already said he'll only be there for three years max, so if everyone knows it's his last season it'll have a similar effect to when Fergie said he was retiring or worse, when Pellegrini knew he was being released.

Bearing that in mind it'd be lunacy to keep him, lunacy which would only be matched by passing up on Mourinho for the second time. To err once is human, to err twice is careless.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think a this stage there is as much to lose sacking him and replacing him with a manager who will start another rebuild as there is letting him finish out his final year.

Leaving aside the fact that he's spent 250m on rubbish players and for the last two years produced some of the worst football seen at Old Trafford, You're seriously suggesting that Utd go into the new season with a manager who is leaving at the end of it?

I thought that was why City fell apart this season. :rolleyes:

4th and the cup would be a good season all things considered.

Don't think the cup alone will save LVG but it might

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Up until about 2 weeks ago I thought it was nailed on but now I've a real fear that lvg will continue next season with giggs taking up the role as planned next summer. A long couple of years ahead

hqdefault.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Yeah it's a done deal I'd say. He'll be manager of United before the Olympics start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think it's already a done deal.

I also find it hard to listen to rival fans' opinions on this one. The youth fallacy, the quality of football comparison between LVG and Jose and the "4th should be considered a good season for United because this is not the Fergie era" argument. All from people that haven't watched this ****e week-in, week-out for 2 years and aren't close enough to it all to really get the nuance of how certain things have happened at the club.

It has been a cluster**** for two years and the rot needs to stop. The only wildcard is Woodward, as he hasn't exactly done everything expected of him in his short time at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

United were ruthless with Moyes once CL qualification became mathematically impossible. I don't see any reason why they won't act similarly with LVG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LiamoSail wrote: »
    United were ruthless with Moyes once CL qualification became mathematically impossible. I don't see any reason why they won't act similarly with LVG

Nothing will happen til after the FA Cup final. If they win that then I'd imagine they'd wait a little while after that too, victory parades and all that. I'd say you'd be looking at around the start of the Euros before any moves happen.

CSF wrote: »
    Nothing will happen til after the FA Cup final. If they win that then I'd imagine they'd wait a little while after that too, victory parades and all that. I'd say you'd be looking at around the start of the Euros before any moves happen.

Victory parades?

They barely cobbled together a gathering in the MEN centre after winning the league and CL in 2008.

It will depend on how long it takes the board to come to a concensus or for a senior figure like one of the Glazers to say he's sacked lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think its in LVGs contract to get CL qualification each season or hes gone. Looks most likely that they wont so I reckon Mourinho will be the next United manager at the start of the new season. i think preliminary discussions took place with Mourinho last January or February and Mourinho was told this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

billyhead wrote: »
    I think its in LVGs contract to get CL qualification each season or hes gone.

How do you know this?
    billyhead wrote: »
    i think preliminary discussions took place with Mourinho last January or February and Mourinho was told this.

Or this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Where the pics of fergie and pochettino at lunch old or irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Nalz wrote: »
    Where the pics of fergie and pochettino at lunch old or irrelevant?

You try telling them it was irrelevant. Fergie had a lovely time and felt that himself and Mauricio really bonded, so much so that the Argentine is going round Sir Al's for a few frames of snooker tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It would be worth to see Jose in the Europa league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Bump. Looking like this will be announced soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Haha it'll be hilarious seeing Mourinho in the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Haha it'll be hilarious seeing Mourinho in the Europa League.

Well he did win it with Porto .

• Advertisement

rebeve wrote: »
    Well he did win it with Porto .

Ye but his disdain for the competition borders on legendary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

rebeve wrote:
    Its done

Sky saying mendes will fly in Tuesday to start negotiations with the club.

Doesn't sound like it's anywhere near done like people are making it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than watching that beaten docket make a balls out of everything again.

He is a busted flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't worry about Sky

Two of the top BBC guys have run with it, I'm inclined to give it plenty of credit on that alone. If the leak has come from the club rather then Mendes then they learn nothing from the past and have handled it and acquitted themselves poorly again.

Not disputing the actual decision to remove Van Gaal from his job either of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

ebbsy wrote: »
    Nothing would give me greater pleasure than watching that beaten docket make a balls out of everything again.

He is a busted flush.

Yeah. Remind me what he did just one year ago again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

And this day just keeps getting better and better.

Yeah. Remind me what he did just one year ago again...

Do we include the first season where Chelsea failed to win anything or do we include the last season where his team went into a state of total meltdown to an extent I'm not sure many of us have seen before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's going to end in tears. Could absolutely seeing them winning the League under Jose though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is this Mendes telling the BBC or have utd spoken about it?

Do we include the first season where Chelsea failed to win anything or do we include the last season where his team went into a state of total meltdown to an extent I'm not sure many of us have seen before?

You include whatever you like kid. I couldn't give a flying fanny what you have to say on anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement