Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

K-9 wrote: »
    Still on that topic, there should be more United fans posting in match threads now Jose is here, which is good.

What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah, should have went on about RAWK instead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Barring Chelsea I don't recall any others in April or May. What were the others out of interest?

EL final starting line up.

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Vs Stoke on 10/04

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Skrtel, Moreno, Stewart, Ojo, Milner, Allen, Firmino, Sturridge.

Vs Bournemouth 17/04

Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Skrtel, Moreno, Stewart, Ojo, Ibe, Allen, Firmino, Sturridge.

Vs Everton 20/04

Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Coutinho, Milner, Lucas, Firmino, Origi.

Vs Newcastle 23/04

Mignolet, Randall, Lovren, Toure, Moreno, Stewart, Allen, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Sturridge.

Vs Swansea 01/05

Ward, Smith, Lovren, Skrtel, Clyne, Stewart, Ibe, Chirivella, Ojo, Couthinho, Sturridge.

And so on.

A few changes in the games, ye also had a few injuries so its not like Klopp dropped Sakho or Origi by choice.

So you could probably stretch it to say he played half a first team in some of those games, not exactly a second string in all of them.

Yeah, should have went on about RAWK instead.

I meant what has it got to do with you if people don't want to post in the match threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Your forum is worse than ours.

Still on that topic, there should be more United fans posting in match threads now Jose is here, which is good.

I'd rather watch the game and maybe talk about it after. If you lot want to all do incantations during the game to convince yourself Henderson is the bestest midfielder in the world then that's your business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

It sure is less than 2 years ago lvg was going to sweep all before him as he had a title winning squad on his hands. He was also a tactical genius as he had subbed off a goalkeeper in extra time.
    Great appointment for utd anyway I'd expect them to win the league within the next 2 to 3 years. It's hard to believe they didn't just appoint Jose straight after Ferguson in the first place.

Exactly. Jose was the logical choice after Ferguson. United's hubris and "the United way" mantra led to United thinking that appointing a young hungry manager with the same accent as Ferguson would lead to another 25 year Ferguson-type era. An absolutely mental strategy if there ever was one. Ferguson would have been sacked at United and wouldnt have gotten near Lee Martin's 1990 FA Cup winner if that time was fast forwarded to now.

What has surprised me is that United have veered so far away from "the United way". I find as a United fan all that to be a little cringy but where they have gone in the past week in the disgraceful treatment of Van Gaal hasnt made me happy to say the least. What happened to Van Gaal after the cup final was shocking. It wasnt United that put the story out on the final whistle and it clearly was a pretty ruthless move on Mendes and Mourinho's part. Any chances of a post-final revision in the media and amongst fans of Van Gaal was snuffed out instantly. If United were in agreement that Mourinho was to take over then they had a part in that story emerging the way it did and must accept some of the shame. Because shameful it was. Van Gaal pulled up no trees but handled himself with dignity throughout and i salute him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jayop wrote: »
    United fans can be accused of many many things, but hive mind isn't one of them.

Haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Good god the c*ckmeasuring competitions between United and Liverpool on here makes so many threads unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Good god the c*ckmeasuring competitions between United and Liverpool on here makes so many threads unbearable.

But yet you still come on and add fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

niallo27 wrote: »
    But yet you still come on and add fuel to the fire.

Ah come on now his comment isn't that fuely!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

The Mourinho thread on RAWK is a great laugh if anyone's interested,

The Gotze one is good for a giggle too

In a deluded way like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Your forum is worse than ours.

In fairness I think that was more to do with the disillusionment of the football under LvG.

If you're having a discussion, if you're just having a pop you can leave off the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

A few gob****es on either side elicit responses and then people paint the other other group as a whole based on that. If there was more interaction between both camps in general threads and the mods actually banned trolls it'd ease up.

A few gob****es on either side elicit responses and then people paint the other other group as a whole based on that. If there was more interaction between both camps in general threads and the mods actually banned trolls it'd ease up.

This thread is pretty much a 'you wanted Klopp' 'no we didn't' 'yeah well Rodgers' 'yeah well Van Gaal' 'oh it's so great to have the other fans hate us again'.

Obviously this doesn't represent the total sum of the United and Liverpool supporters but oh my god it makes me want to claw my eyes out.

This thread is pretty much a 'you wanted Klopp' 'no we didn't' 'yeah well Rodgers' 'yeah well Van Gaal' 'oh it's so great to have the other fans hate us again'.

Obviously this doesn't represent the total sum of the United and Liverpool supporters but oh my god it makes me want to claw my eyes out.

How did you expect the thread to go? 1) Jose is the new United manager 2) Will he do well? 3) Probably, if he doesn't fall out with everyone 4) Yeah, I'd say you're right old chap 5) Spliffing thread pals. See you all in August.

How did you expect the thread to go? 1) Jose is the new United manager 2) Will he do well? 3) Probably, if he doesn't fall out with everyone 4) Yeah, I'd say you're right old chap 5) Spliffing thread pals. See you all in August.

I dunno, like most of the other threads that don't involve Man United and Liverpool, where people talk about football in a way that doesn't make them sound about 14 years old. Seems that once United or Liverpool are involved, the opportunity for reasonable discussion just goes out the window in a barrage of one-upmanship.

I dunno, like most of the other threads that don't involve Man United and Liverpool, where people talk about football in a way that doesn't make them sound about 14 years old. Seems that once United or Liverpool are involved, the opportunity for reasonable discussion just goes out the window in a barrage of one-upmanship.

If it annoyed me that much I'd avoid threads with either clubs name in the title. They are by a long way the 2 biggest supported teams in the country. That stuff goes hand in hand with it.
    Do you think an Arsenal and Spurs forum based in London would be different? Or a Celtic and Rangers forum in Glasgow?

This forum is different in that most other large football fora are club specific. I can understand your complaint when it happens in a thread that has nothing to do with either team, which it does, but not in a thread like this. You know what to expect.

If it annoyed me that much I'd avoid threads with either clubs name in the title. They are by a long way the 2 biggest supported teams in the country. That stuff goes hand in hand with it.
    Do you think an Arsenal and Spurs forum based in London would be different? Or a Celtic and Rangers forum in Glasgow?

This forum is different in that most other large football fora are club specific. I can understand your complaint when it happens in a thread that has nothing to do with either team, which it does, but not in a thread like this. You know what to expect.
    I do know what to expect. I don't get how that makes it any less unbearable though unless you expect the adult portion of the forum to just completely vacate any United/Liverpool related discussion to avoid getting stuck in the crossfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

As annoying as Utd v Liverpool playground bickering might be for some at least it goes on regardless of whether the teams themselves are doing well or not. Other fans tend to disappear into the woodwork when the trophies dry up but come out all guns blazing when they've something to crow about again, diving into every conversation like oracles of the gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Thats the thing MOD's never do it, check how much nonsense gets posted on the soccer forum and see how much get cards, maybe 5% the soccer forum is known to pandering to certain posters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF8fMzlIwQ-/

Back too work

*credit LordTSC

What next for Giggsy?

Doesn't seem the pundit type

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What next for Giggsy?

Apparently he has been offered the u21 manager job but doesn't want to take a demotion.

As much of a legend he was for us, his attitude about the job stinks and he thinks he has a god given right to just be handed the steering wheel of the biggest job in England and arguably the world.

If he has designs on the top job then he has to prove he is capable.

Apparently he has been offered the u21 manager job but doesn't want to take a demotion.

As much of a legend he was for us, his attitude about the job stinks and he thinks he has a god given right to just be handed the steering wheel of the biggest job in England and arguably the world.

Would have been nuts to give him the job.

Did he actually think he had a right to the job though?

He definitely needs to prove himself in lower league's to see if he can make the cut

He definitely needs to prove himself in lower league's to see if he can make the cut

Well he is apparently "very unhappy" with being offered the u21 gig so it's not much of a stretch to think he wanted the top job.

My own thoughts are that he hoped LVG would see out his 3 years then plonk Giggs into his chair.

I actually don't think he'd need to drop more than one league to get a shot, but that's absolutely what he needs to do. Top Premier League clubs don't upgrade their under 21 manager to the big job. Reading without a manager as of yesterday, that is the sort of job that is equally gettable and big enough to provide the stepping stone he'd be looking for.

Well he is apparently "very unhappy" with being offered the u21 gig so it's not much of a stretch to think he wanted the top job.

My own thoughts are that he hoped LVG would see out his 3 years then plonk Giggs into his chair.

Providing that is true of course.

The U21 job is grand but surely managing another team would be more beneficial to him

I actually don't think he'd need to drop more than one league to get a shot, but that's absolutely what he needs to do. Top Premier League clubs don't upgrade their under 21 manager to the big job. Reading without a manager as of yesterday, that is the sort of job that is equally gettable and big enough to provide the stepping stone he'd be looking for.

Yeah maybe the championship but has he even enough experience for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

His name would probably be enough to get a Championship club to take a chance on him. My prediction would be Giggs would fail miserably as a manager. I could be wrong but he doesn't come across as a very intelligent person that is cut out for management.

• Advertisement

The Championship is a place where you can go and he your first step. It's the same path Rodgers took actually, assistant at a big club and then the drop down to Watford. Karanka and Clement too. Obviously where you go from there is entirely down to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Giggs should take the U21 job if he is remotely serious about been Manchester United manager, Zidane and Gaurdiola managed the b teams before they got a shot at the senior team.

Having the character to be a player and manager are too different things. My prediction is he will flop spectacularly, this is the same guy who had a long term affair with his brothers wife, they don't come much lower than ryan giggs.

rob316 wrote: »
    Giggs should take the U21 job if he is remotely serious about been Manchester United manager, Zidane and Gaurdiola managed the b teams before they got a shot at the senior team.

Having the character to be a player and manager are too different things. My prediction is he will flop spectacularly, this is the same guy who had a long term affair with his brothers wife, they don't come much lower than ryan giggs.

Ahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Man United is not even remotely close to being one of the biggest jobs in the world. When was the last time they even challenged for the Champions League?

They haven't been in the top 3 in even England for quite awhile now.

Although I agree with you on the Giggs point. The guy just seems entitled. Does he honestly expect Mourinho to ditch his long serving assistant manager just to appease Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It will all end in tears.

It will all end in tears.

Just as long as it's not years and years of tears when the good times are over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What next for Giggsy?

Should be kicked out the door after being part of two failed regimes but that's not going to happen and he's too terrified to leave the nest on his own.

WarZ wrote: »
    Man United is not even remotely close to being one of the biggest jobs in the world. When was the last time they even challenged for the Champions League?

After Barca, Madrid and Bayern, name a bigger one.

A case could be made for the United job being bigger than those too.

After Barca, Madrid and Bayern, name a bigger one.

A case could be made for the United job being bigger than those too.

Juventus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Juventus.

How is Juventus a bigger job than United, historically they arent are you basing this all on what last season

astonaidan wrote: »
    How is Juventus a bigger job than United, historically they arent are you basing this all on what last season

They absolutely are.

32 league titles to Manchester's 13

20 Domestic Cup wins to Manchester's 16

2 European Cups to Manchester's 3

2 Intercontinental Cups to Manchester's 1

They also compete regularly in the Champions League unlike Manchester United who haven't competed in god knows how long.

Juventus are a bigger club both historically and currently. I think you are too blinded by premiership bias to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

They absolutely are.

They also compete regularly in the Champions League unlike Manchester United who haven't competed in god knows how long.

Juventus are a bigger club both historically and currently. I think you are too blinded by premiership bias to be honest.

Really?

Who robbed the rest of our league titles :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

They absolutely are.

13 != 20
    One club != Remotely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They absolutely are.

And man Utd fans get accused at thinking that football began in 1992

13 times, 13 times Man United...

Fine 20 league titles to Juventus 32

Juventus are definitely the bigger club.

I could also argue AC Milan but I didn't due to their current hapless state of affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

They absolutely are.

Juventus are definitely a big club and I loved United's battles with them in the 90s. They were the club we were aspiring to be in Europe back then, rather than barca and Real, who were a bit of a mess at times in the mid to late 90s. But there's no doubting that United are globally a bigger draw than Juventus. The last few years have been awful from a United pov, but from sponsorship, to global appeal, to numbers at the match and even to player appeal, United are just bigger by a large margin. But of a silly discussion but my two cents anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They absolutely are.

By that logic, City and Chelsea are not big jobs as their title hauls are tiny compared to so many other clubs.

Juve play in a weaker league, there is a reason you don't see them linked with big name managers when they are due a change, just like with PSG.

They're certainly a better run and managed club than us in recent years, no denying that. But bigger? Nope, you would need to go back to the early 2000s at the very least there.

Juventus are definitely a big club and I loved United's battles with them in the 90s. They were the club we were aspiring to be in Europe back then, rather than barca and Real, who were a bit of a mess at times in the mid to late 90s. But there's no doubting that United are globally a bigger draw than Juventus. The last few years have been awful from a United pov, but from sponsorship, to global appeal, to numbers at the match and even to player appeal, United are just bigger by a large margin. But of a silly discussion but my two cents anyway

I was talking purely in regards to success, United are definitely bigger in a marketing sense but Juventus are the more accomplished club.

Billy86 wrote: »
    By that logic, City and Chelsea are not big jobs as their title hauls are tiny compared to so many other clubs.

Juve play in a weaker league, there is a reason you don't see them linked with big name managers when they are due a change, just like with PSG.

They're certainly a better run and managed club than us in recent years, no denying that. But bigger? Nope, you would need to go back to the early 2000s at the very least there.

Up until very recently the Serie A was a much, much more difficult league than the Premier League so that excuse just doesn't wash.

Juventus have won more titles across the board, they regularly compete in the Champions League where United have vanished from.

City and Chelsea are currently big clubs because they are currently competing. Man United is a well supported club but they are not competitive at the highest levels.

I would put Man United on par with AC Milan currently. Both giants but currently not 'big clubs' in the strict sense of the word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement