Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What a silly debate that must be like 30-40 years behind the times. Massive clubs have departments for the recruitment of players, they have sporting directors, they have vast scouting agencies, they have tonnes of data upon which they rely to make these decisions, the days of a manager going to the park on Sunday and casting his eye across the pitch, pointing to a player and saying "I'll take him" are long gone. As such, holding each manager solely accountable for recruitment is nonsense.

This is the long and short of it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's a silly argument.

Leicester have obviously not had sustained success over the last 12 years (since Jose had a budget)

What have Athleti won in that period, couple of EL's, 1 Copa and 1 La Liga?

If they were winners over a sustained period then you can compare but they havnt been so you can't.

I'm not for one second discounting what Atletico or Leicester have done BTW, it was a fantastic achievement however they are the exception rather than the rule.

The point I was making was where clubs are breaking their transfer records all over the shop - United, LFC, Madrid, Munich, City, Barca etc Jose has won it all by being comparatively modest in his outlays. When spending big he has in the main being successful.

What's Liverpools transfer record, 35m? And Mourinhos is 32m with Costa, so effectively the same. Bayern Munich aren't too far off. Honestly, given the money spent by Chelsea in his first period, this is the very first time I've heard Jose Mourinho described as frugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

CSF wrote: »
    They were in the same situation a decade ago, the manager got sacked every time!! It worked out well in the end.

And United are doing likewise now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What's Liverpools transfer record, 35m? And Mourinhos is 32m with Costa, so effectively the same. Bayern Munich aren't too far off. Honestly, given the money spent by Chelsea in his first period, this is the very first time I've heard Jose Mourinho described as frugal.

And what have Liverpool won in the last 12 years in comparison?

Or Munich in a mainly 2 team league?

I never said he was frugal in the literal sense of the word.

He has obviously spent money.

What I said was for what he has spent coupled with what he has achieved, vs his compatriots, is very, very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

And United are doing likewise now.

Only when a manager finishes lower than 4th seemingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No they did not. Van Gaal was sacked at a minimum 6 months too late and thats obvious to anybody who knows football.
    I'd agree he should have been sacked 6 months ago but he should not have been sacked when he was imo.

They won the FA Cup and he uncovered a couple of youth players over the last six months. Thing were starting to look a little better moving forward I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

K-9 wrote: »
    He's hardly going to rely on Zlatan and Rashford is he? Suppose it depends on how he plays Rooney and Martial.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't spend big money on a striker and Zlatan.

I don't think so. I reckon it's Zlatan on his own up front with Martial and Rooney supporting, Rashford if Zlatan doesn't play, and one of the other 2 up front after that. Rashford looks very good - but he shouldn't be playing as much next season, and that's for his own good.

If he gets another striker it will be a journeyman/tier 2-type striker for low money to play a backup/impact role, same as how Remy, Eto'o or Ba played bit parts for Chelsea. If a striker comes in alongside Zlatan, I wouldn't be surprised if it were someone on a free or on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And what have Liverpool won in the last 12 years in comparison?

Or Munich in a mainly 2 team league?

I never said he was frugal in the literal sense of the word.

He has obviously spent money.

What I said was for what he has spent coupled with what he has achieved, vs his compatriots, is very, very good.

It's a strange angle to take on his success. He spends lots of money, he wins lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here, I wasn't telling Mourinho not to spend.

I read your posts as a dig at Jose for spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

CSF wrote: »
    Only when a manager finishes lower than 4th seemingly.

Well it's a very small sample size isn't it. If that's your criteria for being a big club and not the fact that a United side with no European football of any kind can still attract world record sponsorships and pretty much match Barcelona for generated revenue in a treble winning season then this conversation is even more pointless than I thought.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd agree he should have been sacked 6 months ago but he should not have been sacked when he was imo.

They won the FA Cup and he uncovered a couple of youth players over the last six months. Thing were starting to look a little better moving forward I thought.

No, things were not looking better and he was deservedly sacked after the FA cup final. He was a lucky man to even last that long. There was probably 3 or 4 occasions during this season where United would have been justified in sacking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh United waiting until CL wasn't possible, are people assuming that because it happened with Moyes? Maybe they wanted to see how the season went and the Cup run happened, plus City nearly threw CL away, but that wasn't really foreseen.

Would they worry about over compensation when talk was they were paying Jose money just to talk to them!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So did utd sent Jose down to London to settle Carneiro sexual sexual harassment/discrimination case and not drag them into it?

Since she turned down £1.2m from Chelsea I wonder how much utd offered her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So did utd sent Jose down to London to settle Carneiro sexual sexual harassment/discrimination case and not drag them into it?

Since she turned down £1.2m from Chelsea I wonder how much utd offered her.

Why would United be offering her anything? :confused:

Jayop wrote: »
    Why would United be offering her anything? :confused:

So Jose wouldn't have to testify on the record and maybe have there new manger found guilty sexual harassment/discrimination that wouldn't be good for utd's P R.

Jose probably paid her off but made sure he got the money from utd in his contract to do it no way someone Jose is going to be out of pocket from a payout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So Jose wouldn't have to testify on the record and maybe have there new manger found sexual harassment/discrimination that would be good for utd's P R.

Jose probably paid her off but made sure he got the money from utd in his contract to do it no way someone Jose is going to be out of pocket from a payout.

:pac:

Aye all right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

So Jose wouldn't have to testify on the record and maybe have there new manger found guilty sexual harassment/discrimination that wouldn't be good for utd's P R.

That's some story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does she still have a case pending against Mourinho or is that everything done and dusted now?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    That's some story.

Maybe... utd didn't seem to have an issue with there one time temporary manager and assistant manager for the last few seasons when his super injunction was made public about his 8 year with his brother's wife so maybe they would have no issue with there new manager being found guilty of sexual harassment/discrimination but since someone paid out so it won't be an issue now.

No such thing as bad publicity I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As he is now United's manager it is likely to have caused them at least as much harm as Chelsea if all the sordid details had been examined and cross examined in court.

It's a possibility anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There, der, deyar, derrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Will they release how much of a payoff she got?

If she turned down 1.2 million initially she miust be getting a hell of a lot more than that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Confidential settlement, that wont stop the rags guessing the nature of the settlement or what could have come out in the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A grubby ending we really wouldn't expect anything less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eagle eye wrote: »

As an ardent Liverpool supporter even I would find it hard to find a reason not to sack him. Sacked 6 months too late and the FA cup doesn't count for much at all anymore if we are been honest. What good is youth players if your one of the biggest clubs in the world and your plying your trade in the EL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Will they release how much of a payoff she got?

If she turned down 1.2 million initially she miust be getting a hell of a lot more than that now.

There won't even be that. It's all been hushed up and swept under the carpet.

Much to the annoyance of some.biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I only just noticed the typo in this threads title.

Sexist now to add to cowardly.

Top manager but let's face it as a human he's bottom of the barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably best for all concerned. She gets a larger settlement and Mourinho gets to avoid looking like an extremely unpleasant individual in court. And Chelsea get to wash their hands of the whole incident.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Bottom of the barrel? Really?
    Would you have him out on his own below the rapists, murderers and paedophiles or on the same level?
    Or do you not understand the phrase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'm really looking forward to next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Probably the best outcome for everybody, a private settlement means all those bitter, bitter, rival fans have free reign to label him with whatever derogatory slurs they want without having to worry about what really happened.

I think we all are tbh.

Mourinhio even as opposition fans brings entertainment. Should be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Why is there nothing about the other doc/physio? Was he not subject to the same berating as EC?

Bottom of the barrel? Really?
    Would you have him out on his own below the rapists, murderers and paedophiles or on the same level?
    Or do you not understand the phrase?

Cone on Fred, if you read about a regular Joe Soap pulling the stuff Jose has you'd think he was pond life.

You didn't want him a few months ago. Firmly in the No camp was the phrase iirc. To turn full circle isn't very credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How much do City have to pay to the Bayern doctors that Pep fired? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

After reading this story I really wish my boss would sexually harrass me.

Cone on Fred, if you read about a regular Joe Soap pulling the stuff Jose has you'd think he was pond life.

You didn't want him a few months ago. Firmly in the No camp was the phrase iirc. To turn full circle isn't very credible.

Who has turned full circle? Stop making stuff up.

Here's what I said last week...
    I'm still going to need a bit of time to get fully on board. A few early wins and attacking football and I won't be long getting on the Jose train.

In a weird way, it's his questionable character that had me doubting the appointment that is giving me the most fun when I see what the opposition fans are saying :)

Your post just enforces that last line for me.

Just because I'm not going all Maud Flanders like yourself on this doesn't mean I'm defending what he did. It's not a case of there only being extremes on either sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Damn Mourinho and his sexism, giving out to that lady doctor

and that male doctor

I think we all are tbh.

Mourinhio even as opposition fans brings entertainment. Should be fun

Hopefully he can run down the touchline celebrating at Anfield again. That would definitely be fun!

• Advertisement

Who has turned full circle? Stop making stuff up.

Here's what I said last week...

Sorry for the late reply, was eating.
    Mourinho leaves a mess wherever he goes. I sort of came around to the idea of him coming in over Christmas but I'm back firmly in the no to Jose camp.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98544421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So my lemon sole baked in salt is a tasty dish with fish...

Cover sole with salt drizzle bitter lemons all over and place in a pre heated oven at 180 celcius for an hour. After 30 minutes take out and drizzle with extra lemon juice.

Delicious i bet you would love it

So my lemon sole baked in salt is a tasty dish with fish...

Cover sole with salt drizzle bitter lemons all over and place in a pre heated oven at 180 celcius for an hour. After 30 minutes take out and drizzle with extra lemon juice.

Delicious i bet you would love it

Disagree with me all you want, but posting about lemons doesn't really bring much to the table. It's kinda like Bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Disagree with me all you want, but posting about lemons doesn't really bring much to the table. It's kinda like Bebo.

Im just giving you options for dinner dude.

For dessert i suggest lemon cheesecake or salted cashew ice cream mmmm delicious

Im just giving you options for dinner dude.

For dessert i suggest lemon cheesecake or salted cashew ice cream mmmm delicious

?

So turning full circle is another phrase you don't understand?

I've already shown you in the previous post that I'm still not fully on board with the Jose appointment. Do you understand that?

• Advertisement

Think everybody is. He'll probably do grand but if it ends in failure it will be hilarious.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Would be interesting to see how many changed their view since he became the manager.

Would be interesting to see how many changed their view since he became the manager.

I haven't changed my view on him as a person at all. He still has and probably always will have a nasty streak and a never his fault attitude.

He's there now and that's it, you just get behind whoever it is in charge purely on a football basis. It's the same with every club, no point in anybody pretending any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

this thread is gas ,some of the people here really are obsessed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Why is that important to you, do you think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement