Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All the big managers yes..yet all the big player still want to play anywhere but England.

All the big managers yet all the big player still want to play anywhere but England.

Couldn't blame them tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

How this appointment sits easy with United fans is beyond me

Why wouldn't it.He basically guarantees success.I'd find it quiet odd for anyone having a big issue with him as a manger. 3 years there and they'll probably win the league at least once and the rot will have been stopped.Really they should have brought him in the replace Ferguson as bringing Moyes in as a long term appointment clearly allowed the players off the hook for a while and they relaxed a bit as they knew there wouldn't be pressure on them to deliver success immediately.

Sure Mourihno is a bit of a prick at times but Ferguson was no angel either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

who gives a bollix really?

It's absolutely hilarious "concerned" rival fans that don't "sit easy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

All the big managers yes..yet all the big player still want to play anywhere but England.

As in 2 clubs in Spain and one in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Mourinho's aura has been shattered, and without that he's half the manager. He's broken, and this appointment will prove a huge mistake.

Mourinho's aura has been shattered, and without that he's half the manager. He's broken, and this appointment will prove a huge mistake.

you hope.

you hope.

I'm a United fan. Cut me, i bleed red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm a United fan. Cut me, i bleed red.

So does everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

who gives a bollix really?

It's absolutely hilarious "concerned" rival fan that don't "sit easy".

No I hope the b@stards crash and burn and the Jose appointment puts the final nail in their coffin

Just shocked that your average red thinks that doing a deal with the divil for a tiny chance of future silverware and in doing so sacrifices the "United way" is something to celebrate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

From a supporter of a club that pulled the rug from under their existing manager, a club rife with money leeched from the blood of slaves, a club that cannot even buy fans despite spending over a billion pounds since its inception.

Wow, just wow.

From a supporter of a club that pulled the rug from under their existing manager, a club rife with money leeched from the blood of slaves, a club that cannot even buy fans despite spending over a billion pounds since its inception.

Wow, just wow.

"The City way"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Your all dead right. He has a terrible record as a manager. Has never had success as a manager as he has dragged himself from club to club around Europe's mediocre clubs. What were Man Utd thinking........

No I hope the b@stards crash and burn and the Jose appointment puts the final nail in their coffin

Just shocked that your average red thinks that doing a deal with the divil for a tiny chance of future silverware and in doing so sacrifices the "United way" is something to celebrate

Deal with the devil?

You do know who bought the PL for City, yeah?

I saw an interview with Mike Summerbee about 7 years ago and I thought he had suffered some kind of head injury with the delusion nonsense he spouted.

Its clearly something that is ingrained in you lads.

Staggering, really, really staggering.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The knives are out.

Your all dead right. He has a terrible record as a manager. Has never had success as a manager as he has dragged himself from club to club around Europe's mediocre clubs. What were Man Utd thinking........

And he leaves every club in a shambles. In it for the short term gain when we need long term planning. Big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wow, just wow.

Jose imagine that

Sitting on your bench

Memory of a goldfish

The desperation for repeated success hanging by fingernails week in week out

"The "XXXXX Club" Way" is a load of old bollox though, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Now, if Liverpool and, to a lesser extent, City fans are to believed, United have been the worst of the worst since forever anyway, so it's bloody hilarious to see these people hand-wringing and being all concerned about the club appointing Mourinho as manager.

Yeah lads, it's just awful isn't it. The club you hold in such high regard is appointing a manager you can't fúcking stand.

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Utd should have move LVG on a couple of weeks ago . They waited too long and now they've missed out on B-Rod.

• Advertisement

As in 2 clubs in Spain and one in Germany?

3 maybe 4 clubs in Spain, 2 clubs in Germany, Juventus in Italy and PSG in France and as we saw in the January transfer window now China.

3 maybe 4 clubs in Spain, 2 clubs in Germany, Juventus in Italy and PSG in France and as we saw in the January transfer window now China.

Not having that. United, Arsenal and City would have as much, if not more pulling power than Dortmund and Juventus. Atletico lost Costa, De Gea, Luis to PL teams in recent years. They got a cast off in Torres and Luis back when it didn't work out in return. China? Don't make me laugh. You seriously saying the big players want to go to China instead of the PL?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It would be a terrible appointment, but very much in keeping with the scattergun approach of United in the transfer market in the past few years. Big names at any price, regardless of whether they fit. Mata, LVG, Schweinsteiger, Mourinho, Ibrahimovic. It would confirm that they've either abandoned any plan they had or that they had none.

Not having that. United, Arsenal and City would have as much, if not more pulling power than Dortmund and Juventus. Atletico lost Costa, De Gea, Luis to PL teams in recent years. They got a cast off in Torres and Luis back when it didn't work out in return. China? Don't make me laugh. You seriously saying the big players want to go to China instead of the PL?

There is only one world class player in the PL and that's Aguero and he'd head back to Spain in the morning if someone came in for him.

English teams get the leftovers and unwanted players and the young players to give then experience before they head back off again.

There is only one world class player in the PL and that's Aguero and he'd head back to Spain in the morning if someone came in for him.

English teams get the leftovers and unwanted players and the young players to give then experience before they head back off again.

You think Agüero would head off to Villarreal in the morning? As I said, 2 big teams in Spain and 1 in Germany have their pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

And he leaves every club in a shambles.
    You are talking bollix there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There is only one world class player in the PL and that's Aguero

Clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

dfx- wrote: »
    It would be a terrible appointment, but very much in keeping with the scattergun approach of United in the transfer market in the past few years. Big names at any price, regardless of whether they fit. Mata, LVG, Schweinsteiger, Mourinho, Ibrahimovic. It would confirm that they've either abandoned any plan they had or that they had none.

Most logical comment on this thread. To go from Van Gaal with his possession heavy style built around structure in possession of the ball and reasonably high line defending and pure faith in youth, it's tough to think of a manager, in terms of tactical approach at least, that is much further away on the spectrum than Mourinho. The appointment really does show, exactly as you say, how scattergun the club's approach has been post-Ferguson, it's as though they had no contingency plans in place at all. To me, it's a club that doesn't know what direction it wants to go in so it just tries to buy anything and everything rated even remotely highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I really didn't want Mourinho 6 or 7 months ago but the continously crap we've been served up along with Kloppo, Gaurdiola and Ancellotti no longer being available mean ill take him now.

He's an unlikeable character but he will bring success. The alternative of watching United play under Van Gaal is actually bordering on depressive for a lot of United fans even though Van Gaal is appears to be actually a nice guy. You cant manage United and say fans expectations are too high because we expect a top 4 finish and a good tilt at the title.

Mourinho was the best option available in terms of calibre and people might say it's fickle but fans will now get behind him if he is confirmed as manager. I don't know how it's going to go but for the first time in a long time there is genuine excitement among the fan base and I'm already looking forward to the summer to see what Jose has planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ed Woodward :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yea I'd say whatever plan was in place with Moyes.....its long gone. & if JM is confirmed.....also its soul. I can't think of a more selfish egomaniac manager in the sport.

History repeating itself.
    Same thing happened when Busby left.
    When Clough left Forrest.
    Gut Roux left Auxerre.
    When successful managers leave a club that they have effectively run for 15-20 years +
    There is no time allowed for adjustment and club goes to pot for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I hated Mourinho as Chelsea manager. It was pure jealousy. This bunch of relegation regulars had a Russian billionaire chucking money at them, while we were being bled dry by the Glazer parasites, and now they had a manager capable of turning that money into success.

A lot of the anti-Mourinho propaganda about negative football and not giving young players a chance that gets chucked around now originated mostly from Utd fans during his first spell at Chelsea. Hands up we did it! :D

The truth is he's the 2nd best manager English football has ever seen and we really should have appointed him after the best retired. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

United are in danger of falling further into decline. They won an FA cup but for a club that is one of the biggest in the world, 2 out of 3 seasons out of the champions league cant be left continue. They need a high profile top manager desperately and are praying it will work to arrest the slide.

Hard to believe how badly run the club has become, their isn't any vision or long term strategy there. In contrast to man city they have been building the club around the arrival of GAURDIOLA for some time now and were absolutely determined to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Love the lemons :pac:

Jose will come, jose will conquer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

For the Utd fans will you be happy with his 1-0 win and park the bus style?

Also I think the squad is poor - Carrick and Fellaini aren't good enough to be partnering Mata, Rooney seems to be doing better in his midfield role but its only a few games, Rashford is young and the key is to keep him injury free. De Gea is really the only world class player in a team who fans are expecting a top 4 in PL, out of group stages of CL and a good run in one of the cups - there will need to be some big and intelligent spending this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

United (a corporate club before corporate clubs were a thing) are losing their soul with this deal.

We are doing a "deal with the devil".

The "United Way" is gone.

Catch a hold of yourselves lads ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Korat wrote: »
    The truth is he's the 2nd best manager English football has ever seen and we really should have appointed him after the best retired. :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvU4d4zCEAEf0VA.jpg

Second best.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Icaras wrote: »

Also I think the squad is poor - Carrick and Fellaini aren't good enough to be partnering Mata, Rooney seems to be doing better in his midfield role but its only a few games, Rashford is young and the key is to keep him injury free. De Gea is really the only world class player in a team who fans are expecting a top 4 in PL, out of group stages of CL and a good run in one of the cups - there will need to be some big and intelligent spending this summer.

I would rather 1-0 wins and be in contention.

The united squad has great potential...

Mourinho teams are always in the top one and two goalscorers in the league. So this 1-0 win, park the bus style as a rule just isn't real. He'll do it in big games when needed but Ferguson did it, flavour of the month Simeone does it and half of the most revered Italian managers in history have been happy enough with doing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think he'll bring United back to the top level.
    I Utterly hate him though and his antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mourhino as manager and Fellaini in midfield.

Too much for some of "the concerned" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

The squad has potential but if Rashford gets injured where will the goals come from? Rooney has 8 goals from 28 games (some of which he played in midfield).

It might not be 1-0 but it wasnt exciting to watch, the priority was to win not to entertain - Im not saying this is a bad thing but Utd fan expect to be entertained - you seen it this season with the chants and comments after a game that it could have been won 3-0 instead of 1-0, it was (almost) treated like a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Interested to how he deals with the media after the end of his last reign with chelsea it seemed to turn nasty.

I will miss lvg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Detestable guy but he gets results in a results based business. Interesting to see if United have a long term plan or are they just looking for a quick fix after two fairly disastrous appointments. Which of mendes clients will he be made bring in I wonder.....

klose wrote: »
    Detestable guy but he gets results in a results based business. Interesting to see if United have a long term plan or are they just looking for a quick fix after two fairly disastrous appointments. Which of mendes clients will he be made bring in I wonder.....
    My two cents on long term plans etc. We do not have the luxury of long term plans. We don't even have the luxury of trying a semi-proven PL manager like Pochettino (not that Spurs would have let us have him)

Right now we need somebody to get us back in the hunt and back on players minds as a desirable destination. A post Fergie league title is an absolute must.

While its touching to see the concern our rivals have for the club losing their way, appointing Jose wouldn't be "the United way", etc I've quoted a post below from LTSC that pretty much nails it.
    The romantic view of "the United way" began when Fergie left.

Fergie was a "win at all costs" manager. He would play "attractive" football when he could, but was more than capable of playing boring when he had to. He gave kids chances but only once the older players were solid as a foundation, and often chose senior players out of position over kids (Rafael over Pogba springs to mind).

The primary goal under Fergie was to win, no matter what. "The United Way" is something that has been created and romanticized by those looking to excuse the mistakes made since he left, and by people wanting to shift priorities because some are harder to achieve than others.

Jose Mourinho is probably the closest you will ever get to Fergie in the modern game. He might not tick the "Long term" box on the sheet, but he ticks nearly every other box in the comparison.

People are commenting that Jose would ruin the club, leave it in 3 years in tatters, so lets break down Jose's managerial record to date.

In two and a half years at Porto the club won the CL, the EL, Portuguese Cup and two league titles. Not a bad record and he left on good terms, not a tatter in sight.

He joined Chelsea and in his first spell they won two leagues, the FA cup and two league cups. In 3 and a bit years. Not a bad record.

He left because he fell out with Roman and the constant meddling in on pitch matters and transfers, the signing of Shevchenko being a prime example. Again, no tatters in sight.

Inter. In two years he won two league titles, the CL and the Italian cup. Not a bad record, left on good terms take the helm at Madrid. Still no tatters.

Madrid. The biggest circus in world football. A club that had 8 different managers in the 6 years before he took over. To even last 3 years in that job is an achievement in itself. Less success there but they still managed a league title and a Spanish cup. Not a bad record. Yet where are these tatters?

Chelsea again, a league title and a league cup in two years. Pretty decent. So now there are a few tatters alright. He behaved deplorably with the doctor and if you believe what you read, that caused players to down tools due to it. I don't know if its true or not, nor do I care.

So what do we have.

An out and out winner, proven time and time again.

Yes, some of his carry on has been terrible, the incident above, the eye gouging while in Madrid, his obsession with driving Wenger round the twist is weird but his abilities cannot be understated.

People fawn over the likes of Pep. He's had two jobs, one for 4 years and one for 3. Not exactly long term Vs Jose.

Carlo Ancellotti last 3 jobs have lasted only 2 years, less than or equal to any of Jose's appointments.

Would anyone use the "he will leave the club in less than 3 years" as a stick to beat either of the above?

No, I don't believe they would.

But Jose gets guff about the lengths of tenure he has had.

Mourinho would bring the fear factor back to United because since Fergies departure every team that comes to OT fancies getting something from the game.

And going by many non United fans reactions and comments, there is a fear factor there before he has even gotten the job.

I used to absolutely hate Wenger and Arsenal, when they were a threat, nowadays they are not so I pay no heed to them.

I hated Jose during his first spell at Chelsea, because they were winners because of him.

When you are successful you will be hated by some sections, that is true in every walk of life.

The board have bottled things since Fergie left, Jose should have gotten the job then. Hopefully they have finally seen sense. Whether he stays for 3 years or more is moot, though I have a suspicion that he would want to build a legacy at United, he idolises Fergie so its not that big a leap to think he would want to emulate his idols achievements.

Hopefully it does happen and even if it is only for 3 years, there will be success in those three years. Soccer is a results game, and Jose gets results, that's more than enough for most fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wonder how many Utd supporters are now 100% paid up backers of Mourinho but hated him and his ways of doing things a year ago.

In 170 games in Jose's last spell with Chelsea he won 12 games by a scoreline of 1-0. That's opposed to LVG who this season alone has won 11 games by a 1-0 scoreline. So Utd fans are used to poxy 1-0 results however in a lot of these games we should have lost (Liverpool, Watford and the CSKA game spring to mind) Jose has a negative perception which is justified but this has come about from his big game strategies.

United fans will be well able to tolerate Jose in games where he needs to be pragmatic.

Wonder how many Utd supporters are now 100% paid up backers of Mourinho but hated him and his ways of doing things a year ago.

Ah lot of us, me included, I gave my reasoning a page back as to why I'm on board now to him coming in.

Funnily enough, I'd be surprised if many United fans truly hated him. Sure, I think he has done some horrendous stuff over the years (the doctor incident being one of them which I'm pretty sure will be plastered all over the papers this summer) but he has always been somebody who has been highly respectful of the club and was good friends with Fergie. United just didn't have the same relationship with him as Arsenal fans definitely and Liverpool fans to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Football is classless. Sacking a manager that brought you closest to a league title in 25 years is classless. Poor Brendan

The United way is winning, Jose wins everything, but it's nice to see fans of other clubs so worried about it.

Advertisement