Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    See, I just don't think thats the case. Sure, Bayern would likely win the league - but you're not gonna have this disparity...there'll be layers. You'd see them finish on likely 90 points, someone else on 83 or something, another on 79, and another on 72, and it'll stagger its way down.

In Germany there's two really good teams and then a bunch of ok ones, without the touch of something special that a lot of English clubs have. I think any of the teams that make up the top 10 in England (I'm thinking Stoke, Southampton, West Ham etc), would have a bloody good shout at finishing 3rd in Germany to be honest.

Can't agree. Leverkusen, Gladbach, Wolfsburg and maybe even Schalke would perform very well against English teams. For your Stoke and Southampton you've teams like Hertha and Mainz who've over performed also. We are just better accustomed to the overachieving achievements of English teams because they're watched more here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not if their TV money and ticket prices and gate receipts mirrored the Bundesliga standards.

That's why these arguments are pointless.

Yes, but that's exactly the point - the English league financially is a powerhouse compared to your average german team, so more teams have the ability to upset the bigger teams.

Because of this huge disparity in the money the likes of Bayern has compared to other German clubs, they have a huge advantage - one that would be less pronounced if they were to be in England, which is the point of the discussion.

Yes, but that's exactly the point - the English league financially is a powerhouse compared to your average german team, so more teams have the ability to upset the bigger teams.

Because of this huge disparity in the money the likes of Bayern has compared to other German clubs, they have a huge advantage - one that would be less pronounced if they were to be in England, which is the point of the discussion.
    The extra money that English clubs have is in a large way countered by the extra money English clubs have to spend to buy players. You look at the amount a team like Sevilla or Dortmund had to spend building a team, then compare that to what say City, Liverpool or United have spent trying to build theirs. Hard to argue that the English ones are any stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

See, I just don't think thats the case. Sure, Bayern would likely win the league - but you're not gonna have this disparity...there'll be layers. You'd see them finish on likely 90 points, someone else on 83 or something, another on 79, and another on 72, and it'll stagger its way down.

In Germany there's two really good teams and then a bunch of ok ones, without the touch of something special that a lot of English clubs have. I think any of the teams that make up the top 10 in England (I'm thinking Stoke, Southampton, West Ham etc), would have a bloody good shout at finishing 3rd in Germany to be honest.

This isn't the only post that I've seen that leads me to this conclusion and sometimes it's not even posts on Boards.ie but it's conversations I'm unfortunate enough to be part of or overhear but I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of people in this country know practically nothing about football outside of England. I mean that comment there that I've quoted is an absolute shocker but I've heard things on par with that in real life too. There's no excuses in the age that we live in, with so much access to continental leagues and some of the English speaking German and Spanish pundits and journalists these days being available to you at the touch of a button, I have no sympathy for people with opinions like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nonsense. Drop Bayern into a 20 team league alongside United, Chelsea City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham Leicester with no winter break and a diminished ability to cherry pick the league's best players and they would have a much much tougher time of it than they do in Germany.

It's a pointless discussion though. The fact is, Bayern are in an 18 team league where their only realistic challenger has significantly less spending power and pedigree and who are regularly forced to sell Bayern their best players. Finishing above this team is therefore no great achievement.

Bayern would have walked the premier league this year.

Give them the EPL TV money on top of their already excellent financial position and the stability they have as a club compared to most premier league teams and they would be winning it regularly.

Arsenal continuing to finish in the top 4 despite being permanently in crisis/transition doesn't exactly show the premier league as being very competitive.

The fact the Leicester were able to win it doesn't reflect well on the standard of the competition.

The premier league is grossly over rated.It's a great league and all but it's nowhere near as good as the media think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

CSF wrote: »
    There is not a team in the Premier League that could hold a candle to this Bayern team. That this Leicester team full of players who hadn't hit the heights elsewhere were able to win the league by 10 points says it all about the current standard of team in the Premier League. The money may change things going forward but Premier League football is in a very bad state right now when it comes to competing with the elite in European football.

I think the likes of City and a properly managed Chelsea, United and Liverpool would give Bayern a run for their money. It isn't about individual match ups though, it's the grueling 38 match season in addition to League Cup, FA Cup and Champions League football. Do you really think Bayern would have it easier in England than Germany?
    If you did that, Bayern would also have more TV money and even more cash from merchandising than in the Bundesliga which means they'd be able to go in for even higher quality players than they do currently.

They already purchase the highest quality of players available to them. Gotze, Lewandowski, Vidal, Douglas Costa and Hummels are all quality players. Any players higher quality than those are the likes of Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo etc. pretty much unobtainable. A Bayern side in England would obviously have more money to spend, but their spending power will be matched by at least 3 other teams. They are peerless in Germany. They wouldn't be able to obtain players from their rivals as easy either. Gotze went to Bayern for €37m, Hummels for £30m, Lewandoski for free! Do you think Daniel Levy would sell the likes of Alli or Kane to United/Arsenal/Chelsea for anything less than £90 or £100m? Would City sell Aguero to United, or would United sell Martial or de Gea to City?

So you really think Stoke would be able to live with Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke or Monchengladbach ?

Yes, very much so. Why wouldn't they?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bayern would have walked the premier league this year.

Give them the EPL TV money on top of their already excellent financial position and the stability they have as a club compared to most premier league teams and they would be winning it regularly.

Arsenal continuing to finish in the top 4 despite being permanently in crisis/transition doesn't exactly show the premier league as being very competitive.

The fact the Leicester were able to win it doesn't reflect well on the standard of the competition.

The premier league is grossly over rated.It's a great league and all but it's nowhere near as good as the media think it is.

But you can't just drop the current Bayern team in. They're a product of their situation in Germany. If Bayern were an English club they wouldn't have been able to get to the same position of dominance. Utd won 13 out of 20 Premier League, but we're never as dominant as Bayern and were pushed all the way for those titles.

But you can't just drop the current Bayern team in. They're a product of their situation in Germany. If Bayern were an English club they wouldn't have been able to get to the same position of dominance. Utd won 13 out of 20 Premier League, but we're never as dominant as Bayern and were pushed all the way for those titles.

And if Man Utd were a German team they wouldn't have been able to get into their position of dominance. By the way Man Utd won more League titles in those 20 years than Bayern did and they certainly weren't pushed all the way.The last season they won it with a few games to spare they won it 2 years in a row at the start of the millennium quite easily also.

Bayern have **** loads of money they can buy players from whoever the hell they want it wouldn't matter what country they competed in they would be winning titles with regularity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't really care about LVG or Man U to be honest. I'm not a fan of the club or of him as a coach tbh, I thought he was kind of washed up prior to coming to England and did a poor enough job there IMHO.
    However, the whole LVG/Jose affair leaves a bad smell, and is a poor reflection on Man U as a club and top level soccerball in general. It appears to me the likes of agents, in this case Jorge Mendes, are pulling the strings and calling the shots more than players and even big clubs at this stage. Since Jose became unemployed, a constant drip has undermined van gaal in the media, and you can be sure even more so behind the scenes. Clubs can't p1ss off these agents less they won't do business with them.
    The biggest laugh is that LVG is our because he doesn't play attacking football, and is being replaced by Jose....

Did Bayern spend as much as some English teams in recent years?

Can't have been too much in it?

• Advertisement

I don't really care about LVG or Man U to be honest. I'm not a fan of the club or of him as a coach tbh, I thought he was kind of washed up prior to coming to England and did a poor enough job there IMHO.
    However, the whole LVG/Jose affair leaves a bad smell, and is a poor reflection on Man U as a club and top level soccerball in general. It appears to me the likes of agents, in this case Jorge Mendes, are pulling the strings and calling the shots more than players and even big clubs at this stage. Since Jose became unemployed, a constant drip has undermined van gaal in the media, and you can be sure even more so behind the scenes. Clubs can't p1ss off these agents less they won't do business with them.
    The biggest laugh is that LVG is our because he doesn't play attacking football, and is being replaced by Jose....

Hardly a poor reflection when they waited until the end of the season after CL qualification was no longer possible before sacking him. He was lucky to last that long to be honest, United would have been well within their rights to have sacked him at Christmas or at 3 or 4 other points in the season but they didn't.

He wasn't sacked for playing negative football. He was sacked because he failed to qualify for the Champions League and failed to mount any kind of title challenge in 2 seasons despite spending £250m. This, coupled with his statements about fans expectations of a title challenge and top 4 finish being unrealistic is unacceptable for a Manchester United manager and would not be tolerated at any other major club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I thought Utd weren't a sacking club. Tough on LVG after winning the cup.

tumblr_msmlysawxs1qiz3j8o2_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Really gotta love the you know nothing about football if you follow English football and that you need to follow european leagues.
    Why on earth would that be the case, douchebag nonsense of the highest order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Korat wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs is only a Lionel Messi away from being a Luis Enrique.

Sure you, me and everyone else is only a Lionel Messi away from being a Luis Enrique.

And if Man Utd were a German team they would have been able to get into their position of dominance.

Exactly, albeit much easier than in England.

By the way Man Utd won more League titles in those 20 years than Bayern did and they certainly weren't pushed all the way.

They didn't win them by 20+ points either.
    The last season they won it with a few games to spare

After City had won it the year before. United haven't come close to winning it since then.
    they won it 2 years in a row at the start of the millennium quite easily also.

16 years ago. Hardly relevant. Since then 4 different sides have won the title with Liverpool coming very close on 2 occasions. Can't see 4 different sides winning the Bundesliga in the near future.
    Bayern have **** loads of money they can buy players from whoever the hell they want it wouldn't matter what country they competed in they would be winning titles with regularity.

Of course. No one is saying they wouldn't win a title in England. Just that it would be more of an achievement doing it over 38 games, with no winter break and finishing ahead of the likes of City/United/Arsenal/Chelsea ie. teams that can match Bayern in terms of spending power, than it is to just finish ahead of Dortmund every year after spending more than them and buying their best players.

Exactly, albeit much easier than in England.

They didn't win them by 20+ points either.

After City had won it the year before. United haven't come close to winning it since then.

16 years ago. Hardly relevant. Since then 4 different sides have won the title with Liverpool coming very close on 2 occasions. Can't see 4 different sides winning the Bundesliga in the near future.

Of course. No one is saying they wouldn't win a title in England. Just that it would be more of an achievement doing it over 38 games, with no winter break and finishing ahead of the likes of City/United/Arsenal/Chelsea ie. teams that can match Bayern in terms of spending power, than it is to just finish ahead of Dortmund every year after spending more than them and buying their best players.

The extra 4 games make no difference it would just be 4 more games against poor teams.

4 teams have won the Bundesliga apart from Bayern in the 16 years you mention with Schalke and Leverkusen coming very close on a few occasions.Same as in England.

If Man Utd had to compete with Bayern they wouldn't have had the same level of dominance as they had in England.

You put any of the great European clubs in the EPL and they would be winning it regularly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say yes.

The extra 4 games make no difference it would just be 4 more games against poor teams.

Bayern players who are used to jetting off to the UAE over winter would probably notice the difference between that and playing the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Chelsea in the space of 5 or 6 days over Christmas. The 4 extra games wouldn't be against sides any poorer than those found in Germany, in fact for my money they'd be stronger than the team in the corresponding position in Germany except maybe for Dortmund. You'd also have some extra games due to the League Cup. It's also 4 extra games for the 3 or 4 title challengers (not 1 like in Germany) to gain points. Bayern have needed only 31 games in the Bundesliga in recent years.
    4 teams have won the Bundesliga apart from Bayern in the 16 years you mention with Schalke and Leverkusen coming very close on a few occasions.Same as in England.

I didn't mention 16 years, you did and I said it was irrelevant. Regardless, unlike in Germany the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and City who have won the PL in that time have sustained their place at the top of the table, and can match pretty much anyone else in the league in terms of player drawing power and spending power. Bayern won't be losing any sleep over Schalke, Wolfsburg or Leverkusen any time soon and if they do start getting good, Bayern will just buy their best players.
    If Man Utd had to compete with Bayern they wouldn't have had the same level of dominance as they had in England.

Obviously not, but neither would Bayern so what's your point?
    You put any of the great European clubs in the EPL and they would be winning it regularly enough.

Perhaps. But that's not the point of the argument though. All I'm saying that is that Bayern's only realistic challenger in Germany can't match them financially, or historically and regularly let their best players go to Bayern for very modest fees. Therefore, as good as Dortmund are, it's no great surprise or achievement that Bayern regularly finish ahead of them. I don't really know how anyone can dispute that and say otherwise. It's just logical. Already this summer Bayern have simultaneously strengthened their defence and weakened Dortmund's by buying Hummels - and before the cup final and all. If that's not unsettling I don't know what is. They've also strengthened their midfield whilst it looks like Gundogan and possibly Aubameyang might be leaving Dortmund. Who's your money on for the Bundesliga title next season?

As I've said already though this whole "what if Bayern were in the Premier League" thing is entirely pointless and irrelevant. They're not, they're in Germany with only one other realistic challenger. That's the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

You cannot compare Mourinhos time at Madrid v Pep at Bayern.
    Jose wasn't afforded the luxury of taking his rivals best player (by a mile).

Bayern players who are used to jetting off to the UAE over winter would probably notice the difference between that and playing the likes of West Ham, Stoke and Chelsea in the space of 5 or 6 days over Christmas. The 4 extra games wouldn't be against sides any poorer than those found in Germany, in fact for my money they'd be stronger than the team in the corresponding position in Germany except maybe for Dortmund. You'd also have some extra games due to the League Cup. It's also 4 extra games for the 3 or 4 title challengers (not 1 like in Germany) to gain points. Bayern have needed only 31 games in the Bundesliga in recent years.

I didn't mention 16 years, you did and I said it was irrelevant. Regardless, unlike in Germany the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and City who have won the PL in that time have sustained their place at the top of the table, and can match pretty much anyone else in the league in terms of player drawing power and spending power. Bayern won't be losing any sleep over Schalke, Wolfsburg or Leverkusen any time soon and if they do start getting good, Bayern will just buy their best players.

Obviously not, but neither would Bayern so what's your point?

Perhaps. But that's not the point of the argument though. All I'm saying that is that Bayern's only realistic challenger in Germany can't match them financially, or historically and regularly let their best players go to Bayern for very modest fees. Therefore, as good as Dortmund are, it's no great surprise or achievement that Bayern regularly finish ahead of them. I don't really know how anyone can dispute that and say otherwise. It's just logical. Already this summer Bayern have simultaneously strengthened their defence and weakened Dortmund's by buying Hummels - and before the cup final and all. If that's not unsettling I don't know what is. They've also strengthened their midfield whilst it looks like Gundogan and possibly Aubameyang might be leaving Dortmund. Who's your money on for the Bundesliga title next season?

As I've said already though this whole "what if Bayern were in the Premier League" thing is entirely pointless and irrelevant. They're not, they're in Germany with only one other realistic challenger. That's the bottom line.

But you are the one who said drop Bayern into a 20 team Premier League.
    Nonsense. Drop Bayern into a 20 team league alongside United, Chelsea City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham Leicester with no winter break and a diminished ability to cherry pick the league's best players and they would have a much much tougher time of it than they do in Germany.

Why did you bring it up if it's such a pointless discussion?

Drop any of the major clubs in Europe into another of the major leagues and they would be fine and win it regularly.

The winter break is only an excuse for English teams every time they lose in Euope or at international level

They don't have a winter break in Spain and it makes absolutely no difference to the Spanish teams.

Arsenal sold their 2 best players in consecutive season to the 2 clubs in Manchester and Ashley Cole left them for Chelsea before that so it's not as if the big clubs in England don't buy off each other either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I thought Utd weren't a sacking club. Tough on LVG after winning the cup.

Enjoyed him in the league. Seems like a decent skin

Utd are just a modern football club like any other.

But you are the one who said drop Bayern into a 20 team Premier League.

Why did you bring it up if it's such a pointless discussion?

Drop any of the major clubs in Europe into another of the major leagues and they would be fine and win it regularly.

The winter break is only an excuse for English teams every time they lose in Euope or at international level

They don't have a winter break in Spain and it makes absolutely no difference to the Spanish teams.

Arsenal sold their 2 best players in consecutive season to the 2 clubs in Manchester and Ashley Cole left them for Chelsea before that so it's not as if the big clubs in England don't buy off each other either.

Someone else initially made the argument that the same disparity between Bayern and everyone else in Germany would exist if Bayern were in the Premier League. It wouldn't.

Bayern play less games, have more time off, and have only one realistic challenger for the title in Germany. All I'm saying that if,as someone else suggested, Bayern were dropped into the Premier League they would have more games to play, less time off, and more challengers for the title/player signatures. Again, logically, is that an easier situation to be in or a more difficult one?

Yeah Arsenal sold some players to Manchester (I wouldn't consider Nasri one of their best at all) but have the Manchester sides sustained their superiority over Arsenal since? Both of them finished behind Arsenal this year, 2 years in a row for United. Arsenal are able to spend big to replace those players though with the likes of Ozil and Sanchez who wouldn't look out of place at any top European club. Even when Arsenal sold those players, they weren't creating a monopoly like Bayern. United City and Chelsea all still spent big to compete against each other.

I'm getting quite bored of this argument though and the usual anti-PL nonsense when a bit of criticism is made against a trendy European league. So I'll just agree with you and others. Yes, the fact that a club the size of Bayern Munich can spend more money than Dortmund as well as buy Dortmund's best players and then finish ahead of Dortmund in a league where no one else can realistically compete is an absolutely tremendous footballing achievement. That a side can triumph with all the odds in their favour is a joy to behold and puts the likes of Atletico and Leicester's recent success into perspective for sure.

Someone else initially made the argument that the same disparity between Bayern and everyone else in Germany would exist if Bayern were in the Premier League. It wouldn't.

Bayern play less games, have more time off, and have only one realistic challenger for the title in Germany. All I'm saying that if,as someone else suggested, Bayern were dropped into the Premier League they would have more games to play, less time off, and more challengers for the title/player signatures. Again, logically, is that an easier situation to be in or a more difficult one?

Yeah Arsenal sold some players to Manchester (I wouldn't consider Nasri one of their best at all) but have the Manchester sides sustained their superiority over Arsenal since? Both of them finished behind Arsenal this year, 2 years in a row for United. Arsenal are able to spend big to replace those players though with the likes of Ozil and Sanchez who wouldn't look out of place at any top European club. Even when Arsenal sold those players, they weren't creating a monopoly like Bayern. United City and Chelsea all still spent big to compete against each other.

I'm getting quite bored of this argument though and the usual anti-PL nonsense when a bit of criticism is made against a trendy European league. So I'll just agree with you and others. Yes, the fact that a club the size of Bayern Munich can spend more money than Dortmund as well as buy Dortmund's best players and then finish ahead of Dortmund in a league where no one else can realistically compete is an absolutely tremendous footballing achievement. That a side can triumph with all the odds in their favour is a joy to behold and puts the likes of Atletico and Leicester's recent success into perspective for sure.

Where has there been an argument made against the Premier League.People have just argued that aig club like Bayern Munich would be capable of winning it which is hardly that outlandish an idea.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Utd are just a modern football club like any other.

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Time to stick by our manager! but sack him for winning the FA Cup.

Where has there been an argument made against the Premier League.People have just argued that aig club like Bayern Munich would be capable of winning it which is hardly that outlandish an idea.

No, certain people said that Bayern would dominate the Premier League. They decided to ignore the fact (pointed out by a number of other posters) that if Bayern were in the Premier League they wouldn't be nearly as dominant as they are in Germany due to numerous factors. Nobody said that the couldn't win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Time to stick by our manager! but sack him for winning the FA Cup.

I guess Klopp's job is safe then. No chance of him winning a cup final. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Apologies if it's been posted already but a summary of Mourinho and his time at Chelsea and why he only lasts 3 seasons. It's long but fairly accurate, I think.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articles/the-devils-party/

Korat wrote: »
    I guess Klopp's job is safe then. No chance of him winning a cup final. :D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose won 3 titles with us, or a title every other season, give or take, considering he lasted 3 and a bit seasons in his first spell and 2 and half seasons on his return.

He might only last a few seasons at Utd before burning out/falling out with everyone, thats up for debate and impossible to tell now but one thing is for sure, with Utds finances, Utd will be dining at the top table again very soon despite what other people think and if that doesnt scare City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Pool, Spurs fans, then ye're only kidding yereselves.

The winter break argument makes no sense. These people know that all the other German teams get a break too and thus this provides Bayern with absolutely no competitive advantage.

No, certain people said that Bayern would dominate the Premier League. They decided to ignore the fact (pointed out by a number of other posters) that if Bayern were in the Premier League they wouldn't be nearly as dominant as they are in Germany due to numerous factors. Nobody said that the couldn't win it.

They would have dominated it this season without doubt which is the point I made earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The winter break argument makes no sense. These people know that all the other German teams get a break too and thus this provides Bayern with absolutely no competitive advantage.

I think it's in the way that they wouldn't get it in England, so the fairly intense Christmas period may affect them.

They would have dominated it this season without doubt which is the point I made earlier.

This current Bayern squad, in this season , probably yes. But if Bayern had been in the Premier League for the last 20 years they wouldn't have that squad as they wouldn't be able take the best players from their rivals and would have 4-5 other teams with as much financial power as them.
    So it's pointless saying a team in another league would walk Premier League because if they were actually in the Premier League they wouldn't walk it.

Mushy wrote: »
    I think it's in the way that they wouldn't get it in England, so the fairly intense Christmas period may affect them.

More likely they'd just go from one level playing field to another. They're not gaining any advantage in Germany by having the winter break. Everyone does. They're just exceptionally good whereas nobody in England is.

• Advertisement

This current Bayern squad, in this season , probably yes. But if Bayern had been in the Premier League for the last 20 years they wouldn't have that squad as they wouldn't be able take the best players from their rivals and would have 4-5 other teams with as much financial power as them.
    So it's pointless saying a team in another league would walk Premier League because if they were actually in the Premier League they wouldn't walk it.

So if Bayern were in the Premier League they wouldn't be able to have the squad they have now? Gwan actually, I'm interested to hear this one. I'd love to know where you're going with this one.

So if Bayern were in the Premier League they wouldn't be able to have the squad they have now? Gwan actually, I'm interested to hear this one. I'd love to know where you're going with this one.

Would they have the English equivalents of Neuer, Goetze, Hummels, Lahm, Alaba, Meuller etc if they were based in England? No the wouldn't because there is more than one megaclub in England. They wouldn't be able to hoover up the best underage talent in the country or asset strip their closest rivals of their best players.
    It pretty bloody obvious that the wouldn't have as good a squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its obvious what he means. Bayern systematically bought the top talents from within the German league, at the same time both improving themselves and weakening their rivals. They could do this because within the German league they were by far the most prestigious club and also had the most financial muscle. Neither of those two factors would apply as strongly in the PL.

Mushy wrote: »

But every other team would be affected also.So it's the same for everybody in each league as the all play under the same conditions in the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Would they have the English equivalents of Neuer, Goetze, Hummels, Lahm, Alaba, Meuller etc if they were based in England? No the wouldn't because there is more than one megaclub in England. They wouldn't be able to hoover up the best underage talent in the country or asset strip their closest rivals of their best players.
    It pretty bloody obvious that the wouldn't have as good a squad.

This is huge for them.

I mean think of an English world class player and you could end up at a few different clubs.

It's tricky to think of a world class German player from the modern era that hasn't been at Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

gosplan wrote: »
    This is huge for them.

I mean think of an English world class player and you could end up at a few different clubs.

It's tricky to think of a world class German player from the modern era that hasn't been at Bayern.

The questions is. Where are they?

England is not producing world class players anymore.

The premier league has been won easily by loads of teams over the years so if another big club were transplanted into the competition and replaced an existing team they would be able to win it comfortably as well, be it Bayern Munich,Real Madrid,Barcelona Juventus etc.

Any team of any real high quality would have won the premier league comfortably this season.Had the Man Utd team of 7 or 8 years ago been playing this season,Mourihnos first Chelsea side, the Arsenal teams from 02 and 04 then they would have won it comfortably as well.

Id agree with the other guy, they just wouldnt have all the native talents in one place. In Germany its 99% of the players dream to play for Bayern, their is very few stars who stay with even Dortmund over Bayern.
    The talent is more spread out in England among the top teams. For example a player like Mark Noble would have played for one of the tops teams in Germany by now.
    Do I think Bayern would in any way struggle in England, no, but I dont see them winning it all the time with the current teams.
    Any time a team challenges Bayern in Germany, their best players quickly sign for them, this has happened for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

gosplan wrote: »

You forget about Ozil? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

What. The. F*ck,has Munich playing in the Premier League, got to do with Mourinho managing United?

What. The. F*ck,has Munich playing in the Premier League, got to do with Mourinho managing United?

Welcome to the twilight zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The questions is. Where are they?

England is not producing world class players anymore.

Yeah true but more in the modern era.

Some at Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, more at Utd but not a staggering amount.

Going back before petro-dollars, Utd had their own way a lot more but nothing like Bayern do. They're closer to PSG.

I think Guardolia is an excellent manager but I don't think his time at Bayern proves that he's a cut above the rest. Anything other than first would be a massive massive failure.

Same as PSG right now. League over before a ball is kicked.

I know Guardolia doesn't give a toss but he was never going to get massive credit for delivering just German titles, unless that is he stayed and did a Brian Cody.

His time hasn't been a failure but equally it's hard to give him a huge amount of credit. But he picked that job and he knew going into it that a couple of German titles wouldn't be considered massively successful.

Thread needs more lemons

And a title change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thread needs more lemons

And a title change

Enough for ya?

:pac:

lemons_gw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

United fans seem to genuinely believe anyone is worried about them getting Mourinho.

It's cute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement