Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

bur wrote: »
    United fans seem to genuinely believe anyone is worried about them getting Mourinho.

It's cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

United fans seem to genuinely believe anyone is worried about them getting Mourinho.

It's cute.

If youre not worried, you should be.

Utd will be champions within his 3 year tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It's cute.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's cute.

Posts like this are brilliant, they show us that we are relevant again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's cute.

I do think they're overestimating the amount of f*cks that people are giving about this alright. The Van Gaal era following on from Moyes was tremendous fun but which clearly wasn't going to last long.

Man U appointing Mourinho is a no brainer. He'll make them more competitive, sure. But he isn't the story anymore the way he was when he first came to Chelsea. He's in there now with other big time managers like Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Allardyce etc.

It's certainly a remarkable day for them as is always the case when a new manager is appointed, but I doubt this is having an impact on other supporter's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

monkey9 wrote: »
    Man U appointing Mourinho is a no brainer. He'll make them more competitive, sure. But he isn't the story anymore the way he was when he first came to Chelsea. He's in there now with other big time managers like Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Allardyce etc.

He's the story all right. Even when the story is about Guardiola, it's about Mourinho.

387064.PNG

387065.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

1 year ago if you asked majority of Man Utd fans who would they rather Klopp or Mourinho there would be only one winner & it would be Klopp. Liverpool got there 1st choice manger as did Man City. Was Mourinho Man Utd's 1st choice that doesn't look likely imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

MD1990 wrote: »
    1 year ago if you asked majority of Man Utd fans who would they rather Klopp or Mourinho there would be only one winner & it would be Klopp. Liverpool got there 1st choice manger as did Man City. Was Mourinho Man Utd's 1st choice that doesn't look likely imo.

Mourinho is a serial winner and a record breaker. He knows the Premier League well and has won the Champions League with 2 different clubs. When he gets to cup finals he usually wins them. He is a big name that many players will want to work with, like Ibrahimovich. His agent is in charge of some of the most talented players around. I'm not too convinced that Klopp would have been the first choice.

Mourinho is a serial winner and a record breaker. He knows the Premier League well and has won the Champions League with 2 different clubs. When he gets to cup finals he usually wins them. He is a big name that many players will want to work with, like Ibrahimovich. His agent is in charge of some of the most talented players around. I'm not too convinced that Klopp would have been the first choice.
    Mourinho is a very good manager & will improve Man Utd but to say fans of other clubs like Liverpool & City are bitter about since they got their 1st choice managers is not true at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hahaha, you're a Gas man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All the tears haha.

Everyone hates United again, balance restored

Ramsay_zps8c72e0cf.png

Mourinho is a very good manager & will improve Man Utd but to say fans of other clubs like Liverpool & City are bitter about since they got their 1st choice managers is not true at all.

Liverpools first choice still managed to finish someway off Utds out going and failed manager this season.

I'm also willing to bet that Utd will finish above Pool again this year, even without their first choice manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

1 year ago Mourinho was champion of England :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Chelsea fan here, have to say its an excellent appointment by united, they will definitely win the title in the next 3 years. I also think the united board aren't as cut throat as the chelsea one so I think he could build a sort of legacy at united as well. If van gaal was with chelsea they would have gave him the boot at chirstmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Was MOurinho United's first choice? He was probably their only choice at this point in time. They needed to appoint someone with a track record of winning league and CL titles.

The pool of contenders was very small.

I'd probably have been happier about Klopp being appointed because I'm not a huge fan of Mourinho as a person, after the second spell at Chelsea. But his record speaks for itself.

Is it a given that he will bring titles to United? No. But given the alternatives, he's probably the best option.

Or the least worst.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Liverpools first choice still managed to finish someway off Utds out going and failed manager this season.

I'm also willing to bet that Utd will finish above Pool again this year, even without their first choice manager.
    Well considering the fact he took over Rodgers team, bought no players, didn't have a full season ,played an u21 team in many of the last 10 games of the season its hardly a huge surprise Man Utd finished above us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liam O wrote: »
    1 year ago Mourinho was champion of England :pac:

It was a bizarre comment. 1 year ago Mourinho was lifting the Prem, and Klopp was mid table and trophy less

Pep on the other hand I could see why people would have wanted him over mourinho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

What a difference a year makes. Even in the last six months Klopp's stock has dropped considerably at Liverpool and people are tempering their expectations of Guardiola at City after falling short of high expectations again with Bayern meanwhile Jose has seen his reputation soar again just sitting around doing nothing.

Rafa Benitez will be managing in the Championship next season. Let that sink in for a second. Mourinho has been at the top of the game for 12 years while many bright shiny things have come and gone. It'll be interesting to see how things stand this time next year. :)

He's the story all right. Even when the story is about Guardiola, it's about Mourinho.

387064.PNG

387065.PNG

Oh it's a story alright. Anytime Man U appoint a new manager is the major story of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well considering the fact he took over Rodgers team, bought no players, didn't have a full season ,played an u21 team in many of the last 10 games of the season its hardly a huge surprise Man Utd finished above us.

At the end of next season when he has bought players, it's his own team and he has had a full season it still won't be a huge surprise when Man Utd finish above you.

• Advertisement

Korat wrote: »
    What a difference a year makes. Even in the last six months Klopp's stock has dropped considerably at Liverpool and people are tempering their expectations of Guardiola at City after falling short of high expectations again with Bayern meanwhile Jose has seen his reputation soar again just sitting around doing nothing.

Rafa Benitez will be managing in the Championship next season. Let that sink in for a second. Mourinho has been at the top of the game for 12 years while many bright shiny things have come and gone. It'll be interesting to see how things stand this time next year. :)

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Football is a fickle sport, once Brendan Rodgers was one of the best managers in the world, Henderson, Coutinho, Mignolet, Moreno the best players in the league.

it's funny the same supporters calling out United fans for wanting Klopp when he'd almost done a double when they would distance themselves from the above opinions.

You are as topsy turvy as they come, Klopps a beast when you manage to win when you lose its this...
    Qa2ULYml.jpg

Ya, by contrast Utd had their worse league season in about 2 decades scoring a pitiful amount of goals and they still nearly finished top 4 and 6 points above Liverpool.

Had Klopp being in from the start it might have been different but now that both teams have a full pre-season with their respective managers, I cant see Liverpool finishing above Utd, hell, I cant see Chelsea finishing above either side but like Liverpool we've no mid week distractions so you never know.

If last season has taught us anything, its that anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Why are Man Utd fans claiming that the opposition fans are teary and bitter? Man Utd will be a force again, but that was always going to be the case with the infrastructure of the club. Liverpool got their first choice of manager, Man City got their first choice manager, Chelsea got their first choice manager after sacking Mourinho. So why would they be bitter?

I'm an Arsenal fan and to say I don't like Mourinho is an understatement, but he will get them back up to the top, which was inevitable anyway even with Moyes and LVG screwing them up. Will be an interesting season next year and I don't think anyone will be able to predict the top 4 or champions next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, by contrast Utd had their worse league season in about 2 decades scoring a pitiful amount of goals and they still nearly finished top 4 and 6 points above Liverpool.

Had Klopp being in from the start it might have been different but now that both teams have a full pre-season with their respective managers, I cant see Liverpool finishing above Utd, hell, I cant see Chelsea finishing above either side but like Liverpool we've no mid week distractions so you never know.

If last season has taught us anything, its that anything is possible Liverpool fans are forever bitter.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What a difference a year makes. Even in the last six months Klopp's stock has dropped considerably at Liverpool

To be fair, it's not that his stock has dropped but more a case of reality setting in. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Time and players that fit his style of play and I think he'll have them challenging for the top 4 again. The absence of European football should certainly help this season as well.

Why are Man Utd fans claiming that the opposition fans are teary and bitter? Man Utd will be a force again, but that was always going to be the case with the infrastructure of the club. Liverpool got their first choice of manager, Man City got their first choice manager, Chelsea got their first choice manager after sacking Mourinho. So why would they be bitter?

I'm an Arsenal fan and to say I don't like Mourinho is an understatement, but he will get them back up to the top, which was inevitable anyway even with Moyes and LVG screwing them up. Will be an interesting season next year and I don't think anyone will be able to predict the top 4 or champions next season.

I'd have preferred Simeone being honest. :o

But thats replacing like for like with Jose and I cant see Siemone leaving Ateltico for any team, unless hes sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It has? :confused:

This. I'd say fans of all the top clubs this season are happy with who is managing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

This. I'd say fans of all the top clubs this season are happy with who is managing them.

Not so sure arsenal are...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Not so sure arsenal are...

Actually yeah, Arsenal is probably an exception alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

MD1990 wrote:

And lost a final, again. Don't forget that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Wowee. The team that finished 5th are really lording it over the team that finished 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I for one am very happy with our new evil overlord.

He was my ideal appointment when Fergie left.

Pep, Jurgen, Antonio, et al can eat a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Next season the usual order to be restored in my opinion.
    In no particular order: United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal.

United, City and Chelsea - all have new managers and all are managers who have won the biggest honours in the game.
    It will be a great season, and I wouldn't be surprised if United went onto win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well at least nobody can be accused of losing the run of themselves.

Klopp's stock has fallen:confused:
    He got us to 2 cup final's. Losing both but as what happened under Rodgers the team has shown they struggle in the big occasion. But I'm sure Klopp will improve this as we have a young squad.

I for one am very happy with our new evil overlord.

He was my ideal appointment when Fergie left.

Pep, Jurgen, Antonio, et al can eat a dick.

That would be the one criticism of the appointment, why wasn't it done when Ferguson went, especially as it was clear it was the job he wanted. They've wasted away the last three years, but it's a mistake rectified now.

• Advertisement

Well at least nobody can be accused of losing the run of themselves.

A new manager, particularly one with a CV as impressive as Jose's will always instill confidence in a clubs fans.

You lads were doing backflips when Klopp was appointed and there have been more than a handful of posters that think he will have ye challanging for the title next year on the basis of him alone so its hardly that much of a surprise is it?

José has won titles where ever he has been, United have massive spending power and are probably in the top 5 clubs in the world when it comes to attracting players from a branding point of view.

I don't believe you lads, or City fans are jealous that he has signed for us as ye both have excellent managers.

I do however believe that no opposing fans WANTED him to join us because they know what an asset he can be.

It could of course all go horribly wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd happily take a comfortable top 4 next season and a proper title challenge in year two.

I absolutely have expectations, they are tempered, but expectations nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That would be the one criticism of the appointment, why wasn't it done when Ferguson went, especially as it was clear it was the job he wanted. They've wasted away the last three years, but it's a mistake rectified now.

It was an almighty feck up not doing it 3 years ago and even worse appointing Moyes.

Just happy no other team grabbed an opportunity of dominance over those 3 years

Klopp's stock has fallen:confused:
    He got us to 2 cup final's. Losing both but as what happened under Rodgers the team has shown they struggle in the big occasion. But I'm sure Klopp will improve this as we have a young squad.

Klopp has lost 5 finals in a row, sounds to me like Klopp struggles to motivate his players on the big occasions

But somehow Rodgers gets blamed for the two loses this year

Amazing

And anyway, what the **** has Klopp got to do with Jose becoming manager at Utd?

I believe its because Jose was / is too volatile in the eyes of Charlton and some of the ambassadors. I'd think even Fergie had the same concerns.

Iirc Pep was Fergies first choice but he has signed for Munich and that there were a few others in the mix, we ended up with Moyes.

The board made a mistake, and a massive one, we are just lucky that the club was so well positioned when Fergie left that no major long term damage has been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A new manager, particularly one with a CV as impressive as Jose's will always instill confidence in a clubs fans.

You lads were doing backflips when Klopp was appointed and there have been more than a handful of posters that think he will have ye challanging for the title next year on the basis of him alone so its hardly that much of a surprise is it?

José has won titles where ever he has been, United have massive spending power and are probably in the top 5 clubs in the world when it comes to attracting players from a branding point of view.

I don't believe you lads, or City fans are jealous that he has signed for us as ye both have excellent managers.

I do however believe that no opposing fans WANTED him to join us because they know what an asset he can be.

It could of course all go horribly wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd happily take a comfortable top 4 next season and a proper title challenge in year two.

I absolutely have expectations, they are tempered, but expectations nonetheless.

Completely agree. Great appointment that should rightly be giving a lift to the club's fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Klopp has lost 5 finals in a row, sounds to me like Klopp struggles to motivate his players on the big occasions

Amazing

And anyway, what eh **** has Klopp got to do with Jose becoming manager at Utd?

I don't know. It was a United fan that brought his name up.

I don't know. It was a United fan that brought his name up.

Really?

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Amazing

And anyway, what eh **** has Klopp got to do with Jose becoming manager at Utd?
    Where did I blame Rodgers? Just said it in not entirely Klopp's team yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We've wanted Mourinho since Fergie retired. But thanks for the comments. Things are returning to normal in the crazy world of the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Was MOurinho United's first choice? He was probably their only choice at this point in time. They needed to appoint someone with a track record of winning league and CL titles.

The pool of contenders was very small.

I'd probably have been happier about Klopp being appointed because I'm not a huge fan of Mourinho as a person, after the second spell at Chelsea. But his record speaks for itself.

Is it a given that he will bring titles to United? No. But given the alternatives, he's probably the best option.

Or the least worst.

Don't bite. Just point and laugh

• Advertisement
Advertisement