Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Mourinho, the new manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I just voted yes! What do I win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We've wanted Mourinho since Fergie retired. But thanks for the comments. Things are returning to normal in the crazy world of the Premier League.
    Didn't know you spoke for the whole of Man Utd's fanbase.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Where did I blame Rodgers? Just said it in not entirely Klopp's team yet.

It sounds to me like you are implying it's an after effect of the Rodgers regime, thus blaming them for 2 cup final losses.
    Losing both but as what happened under Rodgers the team has shown they struggle in the big occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tbf mate, you did say all United fans wanted Klopp...

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you are implying it's an after effect of the the Rodgers regime, thus blaming them for 2 cup final losses.
    I said the players struggle on the big occasion. That's the opposite of blaming the manager.
    Tbf mate, you did say all United fans wanted Klopp...
    I said majority of Man Utd fans wanted Klopp as many posters on here are trying to make out fans of rival clubs are bitter about Mourinho joining them despite Liverpool & Man City both getting there 1st choice managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sloppy seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

1 year ago if you asked majority of Man Utd fans who would they rather Klopp or Mourinho there would be only one winner & it would be Klopp. Liverpool got there 1st choice manger as did Man City. Was Mourinho Man Utd's 1st choice that doesn't look likely imo.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    We've wanted Mourinho since Fergie retired. But thanks for the comments. Things are returning to normal in the crazy world of the Premier League.

:confused:

So Liverpool fan can answer on behalf of whole ManUtd fan base.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    :confused:

So Liverpool fan can answer on behalf of whole ManUtd fan base.
    its an opinion which I believe is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Loads of United fans wanted Jose, loads didn't. I'm sure all of them will get behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

May 2013 - The Guardian:

TtgNpVo.png

A healthy portion of United fans always wanted Mourinho. It doesn't make any sense to rewrite this or argue about it.

Rival fans can't be too sad. We got 3 wonderful years of United being absolutely irrelevant to proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can see it now, two years time Jose will be lifting the PL trophy, Liverpool fans will be in the match thread saying "well we got our first choice anyway"

The bitterness on display gives me life, we're back baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There was a massive poll on redcafe when Fergie retired and Mourinhio was by a distance the winner. That's a year or two earlier but it's more relevant than you guessing. Don't forget that last summer he was the Pl champion and hadn't had his meltdown yet so I'd imagine most United fans still wanted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wanted Mourinho three years ago, that said, I think he is arriving at the right time at the club.
    Moyes brought the failure after Fergie.
    LVG brought the clear out and a trophy.
    Everything set for success with Mourinho, he takes over a team fresh from feeling the sweet taste of success as their last match of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Johner wrote: »
    Loads of United fans wanted Jose, loads didn't. I'm sure all of them will get behind him.

Exactly. I'm one of the latter, but obviously I have to back him now.

Johner wrote: »

I wanted Simeone as first choice but what can you do! I will take second and be willing to give him a chance. His pedigree cannot be denied.
    But for someone to make some ridiculous statement that most Utd fans wanted Klopp over Jose......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone criticising this appointment is deluded, engaging in 'banter', or a bit thick.

Mourinho was the best available option, has repeatedly stated that he wanted the job (so is motivated as hell), and is a serial winner. yes, last season was a disaster, but let's be honest, the likelihood is that he'll make Utd better.

the only straw rival fans have is that he won't promote youth. But if you're good enough, you'll play. he played Varane at Madrid didn't he? he played Zouma last season? the premium with him is getting a winning team as fast as possible, but I've a feeling Rashford in particular will be just fine.

Now, it's impossible to know if he'll be able to win a Premier League with some incredible managers in the league, and a sea of money available to everyone. But the one sure fire thing is that he, at least in the short term, makes Utd better. that's all Utd fans should be concerned with.

the interesting thing for Mourinho is that if he doesn't make a good fist of this job, then that might just be it in terms of top tier jobs (apart from maybe PSG). this is his last chance to build that proper dynasty that he's been banging on about. there's pressure on him to make this work, so it's going to be fascinating, in the most competitive league in Europe, whether he can bring success.

i, for one, would prefer, as a Liverpool fan, that he wasn't at Utd.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a neutral I'm quite looking forward to seeing how he'll do.

Is this Mourinho's biggest challenge yet?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Man United will win the Premiership again in his tenure, they have a good outside chance shot at a Champs league final in those 3 years, that's waaaayyyyyy more than they had with LVG. On that basis it's a very very solid appointment.

It didn't happen previously due to concerns around style of play, youth etc, but winning leagues, getting to Champs league finals AND playing the type of football united fans want is almost mission impossible. It's only really Barcelona that achieve that, with their preferable location, superstar wages and players so reality has dawned. The best man for the job has been hired, pragmatism will trump all out attacking football. That's the reality for almost every club outside Barca, Real and maybe Bayern.

I hate it as a Liverpool fan, but he's back where he thrives in the Premier League, he won't fail again. Next season looks like a much more interesting prospect, what can Klopp do with Liverpool, how far will Guardiola's transformation of City take them in one year, can Spurs build, will Arsene take off the brakes, can Leicester continue disrupting the big boys and can the speshill one with his speshill club get on board with his ways quick enough to stop the rot at Old Trafford.

Can't wait.

As a neutral I'm quite looking forward to seeing how he'll do.

Is this Mourinho's biggest challenge yet?

This and Real are pretty much neck and neck. When he went there Barca had such supremacy that breaking that was a difficult task even in a two horse race. With United it's a different set of problems but probably an equally difficult job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

One thing is for sure, 2016/17 is all set to be an incredibly interesting season for any fans of the PL.

The Premier League is the league in Europe that everyone will be watching.
    Mourinho at United is box office stuff.

RobertKK wrote: »
    You can turn off Sky Sports News now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He's right though.

Jose at United
    Pep at City
    Conte at Chelsea

Then you've also got Pochettino, Wenger, Klopp as well as Ranieri at Leicester.

I don't think anybody could confidently predict what's going to happen next season. It might not be the league with the best teams in Europe but it's without a doubt the most interesting and it's going to be a very exciting season.

I didn't know Sky Sports News were using my lines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I can see it now, two years time Jose will be lifting the PL trophy, Liverpool fans will be in the match thread saying "well we got our first choice anyway"

The bitterness on display gives me life, we're back baby

Always talking about Liverpool even on days like this. Love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He'll be a success there is no doubt, they will win a PL titles within 2/3 years definitely but he wont stick around much longer than that. That's not me been bitter its generally a fact of his career so far.
    I have no problem with Mourinho been United manager as a rival fan, I watch the PL religiously so I'm happy that the best managers in Europe will be there next season.
    Pep Vs Jose Vs Klopp Vs Wenger Vs Conte Vs Pochettino Vs Ranieri will be glorious and throw up some great moments and games hopefully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Who or what is Mancheter?

anywhoo looking forward to next Season as people have pointed out the array of top managers is really impressive. Hell even the transfer window should be interesting once it really gets going Jose with 200m to spend is the rumor, How much will Pep and all the others have, will they be going for some of the same players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/u-s-soccer-fans-click-on-manchester-united-more-than-other-better-teams/

He's both right and wrong - it already was the case. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some of the bitterness and posturing from rival fans is hilarious .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He speaks the truth. Sky Sports would say it's the best league in Europe although that is also true to an extent.

Cir91ruUYAAvpqe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

At least United fans will get the swashbuckling football that they DEMAND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ooh.........caps lock!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bur wrote: »
    At least United fans will get the swashbuckling football that they DEMAND.

All geared up for next year being 'the year'? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

One thing is for sure, 2016/17 is all set to be an incredibly interesting season for any fans of the PL.

doubt anything can top this year with the Leicester fairytale - and the Totenham darkhorse - probably be another 50 years before the top 4 fail so spectacularly , with such an outsider winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

thebaz wrote: »
    doubt anything can top this year with the Leicester fairytale - and the Totenham darkhorse - probably be another 50 years before the top 4 fail so spectacularly , with such an outsider winning

4000 years if you look at the odds on the foxes at the beginning of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Football is a fickle sport, once Brendan Rodgers was one of the best managers in the world, Henderson, Coutinho, Mignolet, Moreno the best players in the league.

It sure is less than 2 years ago lvg was going to sweep all before him as he had a title winning squad on his hands. He was also a tactical genius as he had subbed off a goalkeeper in extra time.
    Great appointment for utd anyway I'd expect them to win the league within the next 2 to 3 years. It's hard to believe they didn't just appoint Jose straight after Ferguson in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

RasTa wrote: »
    He speaks the truth. Sky Sports would say it's the best league in Europe although that is also true to an extent.

Cir91ruUYAAvpqe.jpg

Why is Ligue 1 there? Id have it on par with Portugese and Dutch league. It's a farce league with psg anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

klose wrote: »
    Why is Ligue 1 there? Id have it on par with Portugese and Dutch league. It's a farce league with psg anyways.

It's there because PSG are a competitive CL side were as the likes of Ajax/Porto aren't anymore basically.

PSG can put it up to the likes of the other teams, Ajax/Porto are no where near there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Old Trafford will become a fortress again.

United vs City games will be unmissable viewing.

United vs Arsenal games will be reminiscent of the great mid-2000s days.

Star signings will be on the way.

I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

United vs City games will be unmissable viewing.

United vs Arsenal games will be reminiscent of the great mid-2000s days.

Personally can't wait for the Pep V Mourinho battle again, going to be fantastic.

United V Arsenal will be great now Mourinho V Arsenal.

Interesting season ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He's the story all right. Even when the story is about Guardiola, it's about Mourinho.

attachment.php?attachmentid=387064&stc=1&d=1464346917

attachment.php?attachmentid=387065&stc=1&d=1464346917

Well appointing Mourinho was a reaction to City getting Pep so it's the other way round really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It sure is less than 2 years ago lvg was going to sweep all before him as he had a title winning squad on his hands

Bit of a difference there. Making predictions before a ball is kicked isn't the same as making claims a couple of years into a tenure.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, by contrast Utd had their worse league season in about 2 decades scoring a pitiful amount of goals and they still nearly finished top 4 and 6 points above Liverpool.

Had Klopp being in from the start it might have been different but now that both teams have a full pre-season with their respective managers, I cant see Liverpool finishing above Utd, hell, I cant see Chelsea finishing above either side but like Liverpool we've no mid week distractions so you never know.

If last season has taught us anything, its that anything is possible.

Ah here, Klopp played the second team for the last 7 or 8 games and still finished within 6 points of LVG. (LVG was brilliant 2 years ago, is he still counted as top class?) Considering everybody thinks the first 11 is pretty average the second eleven are crap

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah here, Klopp played the second team for the last 7 or 8 games and still finished within 6 points of LVG. (LVG was brilliant 2 years ago, is he still counted as top class?) Considering everybody thinks the first 11 is pretty average the second eleven are crap

:o

great excuse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

K-9 wrote: »
    Ah here, Klopp played the second team for the last 7 or 8 games and still finished within 6 points of LVG

He really didn't.

Might have rested players before EL games when the chance for 4th was gone but that's about it.

He really didn't.

Might have rested players before EL games when the chance for 4th was gone but that's about it.

Ssshhhh the Liverbots have their line and by God they'll stick to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Jayop wrote: »
    Ssshhhh the Liverbots have their line and by God they'll stick to it.

The hypocrisy of comments like this from united fans is amazing haha.

He really didn't.

Barring Chelsea I don't recall any others in April or May. What were the others out of interest?

viper006 wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of comments like this from united fans is amazing haha.

United fans can be accused of many many things, but hive mind isn't one of them. Obnoxious, cocky, douchebagery, split personality disorder and whatever,yeah. Read any United forum then look at rawk and see the difference.

• Advertisement

Your forum is worse than ours.

Still on that topic, there should be more United fans posting in match threads now Jose is here, which is good.

Advertisement