Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Bowie Vs Elton John

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I saw Elton in 1984 he had lots of energy. Since then he's definitely slowed down, and nowadays I don't think he does much beyond sitting at his piano and singing. I saw him in the mid 90's and he stropped off stage after an hour, without having put much effort at all into his performance.

He's turned himself into more of a cabaret act. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but he is now very different on stage to how he was 30+ years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Beasty wrote: »
    When I saw Elton in 1984 he had lots of energy. Since then he's definitely slowed down, and nowadays I don't think he does much beyond sitting at his piano and singing. I saw him in the mid 90's and he stropped off stage after an hour, without having put much effort at all into his performance.

He's turned himself into more of a cabaret act. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but he is now very different on stage to how he was 30+ years ago
    For goodness sake, nearly every Elton John concert on youtube has more than 21-25 songs, and they're all between 2 to 2.5 hours. The average time of his concert has not reduced. The amount of live Elton John footage on youtube is ridiculous... from any decade.

I think you'd a different thing in mind by stamina! He does get up from the piano, and hop around the stage between some of the songs... he just doesn't jump up on it anymore. He still comes out with some hauntingly beautiful improvised stuff, and that's why I follow him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIivlHjIUmQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jFV27W34A

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I remain a fan, but I will re-iterate he has changed his style over the years and most certainly eased back. His voice never recovered from when he had those nodules removed from his throat. Yes I'm a hard taskmaster in terms of what I expect, but that is because I actually saw him at his pomp. I also saw Bowie at his very best, and TBH Bowie was head and shoulders above Elton when it comes to his stage presence, and all round quality of performance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Beasty wrote: »
    I remain a fan, but I will re-iterate he has changed his style over the years and most certainly eased back. His voice never recovered from when he had those nodules removed from his throat. Yes I'm a hard taskmaster in terms of what I expect, but that is because I actually saw him at his pomp. I also saw Bowie at his very best, and TBH Bowie was head and shoulders above Elton when it comes to his stage presence, and all round quality of performance
    Well I wasn't alive in those times. I loved Elton's 90s voice most. It doesn't sounds damaged, but it sounds very strong... there's something good about it. Just listen to the first few line of this any you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJKA4i12iJw

I think he really started lose his voice until the early 00s.

Advertisement