Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam on Mac

Options
  • 14-05-2016 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just learned that Steam is available on Mac with a rather sizeable library of compatible games. I've always been a console player but I must admit I'm fairly intrigued by the whole thing.

So far it's stuff like Her Story and Papers Please that have caught my eye. I also see some old games like Knights of the Old Republic that I've heard so much about, so this is my chance to experience them.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has used Steam on a Mac before? Obviously I'm looking at indie games and the like for best results, but that's fine by me. Hopefully it will act as a solid introduction to gaming with keyboard and mouse, and who knows after that...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I use a Mac and have Steam. From a quick look there are some 3400+ games available (Depending on what your Mac can run of course).

The trackpad does allow some semblance of gaming, though I would highly suggest a mouse and keyboard. Something like Hotline Miami on a trackpad/arrow keys is laughably hard to play. FTL is playable though, as are most indie games tbh.

There is a great library though, so definitely take the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Glico Man wrote: »
    I use a Mac and have Steam. From a quick look there are some 3400+ games available (Depending on what your Mac can run of course).

The trackpad does allow some semblance of gaming, though I would highly suggest a mouse and keyboard. Something like Hotline Miami on a trackpad/arrow keys is laughably hard to play. FTL is playable though, as are most indie games tbh.

There is a great library though, so definitely take the plunge.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I'll have to pick up a proper mouse. I messed about with Team Fortress for a few mins last night and I could barely turn around!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Only issues you'll find are that
    • Mac ports generally don't run as well as their native Windows versions (due to weaker GPU drivers)
    • Macs generally have terrible GPUs anyway
    • (nearly) no modding support

So, your games will be ok, but they'll generally run like consoles junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You can always use Boot Camp to run Windows on a Mac and get the full experience.

I would do exactly zero gaming (of any kind) on a trackpad, they're horrible devices. I'd prefer a well-used office mouse from 1993 to a trackpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

gog.com has quite a few OSX compatible games. It usually has unix support but less linux support even if there's a linux version available.

All OSX games: https://www.gog.com/games?system=osx_106,osx_107&sort=bestselling&page=1

I think there's more games on unix systems right now than all 8th generation consoles combined so have fun getting into it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement