Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats problem

Options
  • 14-05-2016 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Long story short: I live in a terraced house and both my neighbours have a neglected garden with overgrown weeds (I mean it's way above the fence level) and waste all over the place. This has caused a rat infestation, and while they don't seem to be bothered (my neighbours) I am obviously affected by this: I contacted the council and after being bounced around I was told to contact the Derelict Site
    I've provided all the necessary information and proof however I was told that (quoting) "there is no provision in the Derelict Sites Act , 1990 to deal with back gardens"

Now if I read this correctly:

The Derelict Sites Act defines a derelict site as any land that “detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of

• Structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or
    • The neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or of structures on it, or
    • The presence, deposit or collection of litter, rubbish, debris or waste
    Those properties are not falling apart however they definitely fall in the category of:
    • The neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or of structures on it, or
    • The presence, deposit or collection of litter, rubbish, debris or waste

Is there anything I can do to force my neighbours to clean up their dump site?
    Please don't suggest the use of a cat (I have a dog) or rat poison (done that but the source of the problem reside in my neighbours garden), I will contact HSE pest control but is there anything else that can be done from a legal point of view? Any other suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Anybody? wrong forum perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Maybe try Legal forum. Would be interested in the replies- sorry I cannot help!

Advertisement