Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros/Cons - Driving licence/correspondence as Gaeilge.

Options
  • 14-05-2016 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

I have been toying with the idea of using the Irish version of my address on my driving licence, bank, government correspondence etc. The pros I can see are in using the language more (which is why I wish to do it) and keeping some Irish speakers in a job, maybe.

I am struggling to think of the cons but know there will be some. I plan to do all of this when I move to a new home. Can you think of any pros and cons to help me decide the correct route to take - Irish or English?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

If you want to use the Irish, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

Make sure you find out the full address, as a shortened one may not be as easily delivered.
    For instance

In English

Joe Blog
    1 Main Street
    Baltymor
    Co Cork

would probably be easily decoded because of more frequent use as

Joe Blog
    1 Main Street
    Baltymor
    Skibbereen
    Co Cork

In my experience leaving out An Sciobairín in the Irish version means that post may not be delivered.

Telling the postman is a good idea also as they are not always Irish or even know Irish. When they see your address in Irish they will then know where to deliver it.

Same is true of urban areas!

Ádh mór

Seán

Use the eircode, that will remove all ambiguity from the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Use the eircode, that will remove all ambiguity from the address.

Expect an post don't use eircode. So it could be delayed. Best use the correct long form as Gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Cheers for the advice folks. Found the website 'Logainm' which helped construct the long form of my address.

I'll pop the address on the letterbox to help postie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Would be interested to hear how you get on with this. I was thinking of doing the same when I moved into my new place, but didn't get around to it. Might do it this year.

On a similar note (if I can intrude on your thread), would there be a lot of hassle in changing my name to Irish? Is there even a place where it would give a reliable translation of my name as Gaeilge? I know the basics (it's an anglicised Irish name) but I'm wondering about the Ó, mac, etc part.

Achasanai, this might help you: http://www.duchas.ie/en/nom :)

For surnames, I cannot find my wife's name on the duchas site but I easily found it here at sloinne.ie.

Sadly my name is Scottish and does not have a gaelic translation - not even a Scottish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Achasanai, this might help you: http://www.duchas.ie/en/nom :)

The site suggests that it's either with an Ó or without, and that's that (which is what I've heard previously about my surname). Is there a specific way of determining whether a surname is Ó, mac, etc or is it just tradition, do you know?

Achasanai wrote: »
    The site suggests that it's either with an Ó or without, and that's that (which is what I've heard previously about my surname). Is there a specific way of determining whether a surname is Ó, mac, etc or is it just tradition, do you know?

The anglinised name will have a O' or Mc ect.

• Advertisement

First experience today using Irish address. Set up a redirection in a post office with full long form address and Eircode- was repeatedly asked if the address was actually in Ireland...
    Hopefully, it all my post makes it to my next address.

Ok, 2 months of address as Gaeilge.

Éircode becomes a godsend for non-Irish delivery drivers. Several deliveries to the house have made it here after they searched the Éircode. An Post have no such problem and the postie has come to expect it.

A lot of companies require one piece of English in the address in their systems, usually the county.

Otherwise, success.

Advertisement