Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit & dual citizenship - anyone tempted?

Options
  • 14-05-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

anyone tempted to get a british passport in the event of britain voting to leave the EU (without getting into whether they will or not)?

Irish citizens have a ton of rights (like being able to vote in general elections, etc) so there's probably not much benefit in having UK citizenship at the moment, but maybe having a UK passport would make entering and leaving the UK easier in the future if the laws/rules change.

never considered getting a UK passport before but it might be worthwhile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

anyone tempted to get a british passport in the event of britain voting to leave the EU (without getting into whether they will or not)?

Irish citizens have a ton of rights (like being able to vote in general elections, etc) so there's probably not much benefit in having UK citizenship at the moment, but maybe having a UK passport would make entering and leaving the UK easier in the future if the laws/rules change.

never considered getting a UK passport before but it might be worthwhile.

On what grounds do you qualify for a UK passport? I don't think it's going to be much of an issue for Irish citizens getting in to the UK regardless of the outcome of Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

haven't looked into it but do you qualify for citizenship/passport after 5 years residency? could well be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

haven't looked into it but do you qualify for citizenship/passport after 5 years residency? could well be wrong

You correct you can apply after 5 years. It can be handy to have dual citizenship especially if you ever plan on going to countries like Australia within the commonwealth, can often have advantages.

If your main concern is movement between the UK and Ireland however I don't think it'll ever be an issue regardless of the outcome. There is too much involvement between both countries in terms of people and trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I was thinking about getting an Irish one too figured if it does happen it would be handy to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

duffman13 wrote: »
    You correct you can apply after 5 years. It can be handy to have dual citizenship especially if you ever plan on going to countries like Australia within the commonwealth, can often have advantages.
    Nah, from what I've seen of brits trying to move to australia the commonwealth route isn't of any use although I think it's different for former soldiers and other service personal but you can hold an irish passport and still do that.

They really tightened up the visa rules since the late 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I will be applying for permanent residency in the next few weeks due to all of the uncertainty that the Brexit has created and the right wing sentiment that is becoming apparent in recent times such as Liam Foxes comment on EU citizens remaining in the Britain was not guaranteed.:O

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/04/liam-fox-refuses-to-guarantee-right-of-eu-citizens-to-remain-in-uk

At one time it was an automatic process in order to get permanent residency however in the last number of years it requires individuals to apply on line and have a considerable amount of documentation to substantiate their claim of being a resident for the previous 5 years (UK p60s, pay slips, bank statements, proof of address etc).

In order to be eligible for a British passport you have to have a permanency card for 12 months before you can apply, the fee of 950 and you have to pass a test on British culture as far as I know.

Advertisement