Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription Sunglasses

Options
  • 14-05-2016 11:49am
    Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Roughly how much would you expect to pay for prescription sunglasses for a 10/11 year old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Roughly how much would you expect to pay for prescription sunglasses for a 10/11 year old?

I got mine in Specsavers years ago but the cost is more dictated by the frame choice than the lens.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Can you get cheapy frames? Can you use the docket from the public clinic for the lenses?

I just know if they're anything like me the sunglasses will be lost/broken/forgotten about so I don't want to be spending much on them! My limit for my own is usually €2.97 in Heatons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Can you get cheapy frames? Can you use the docket from the public clinic for the lenses?

I just know if they're anything like me the sunglasses will be lost/broken/forgotten about so I don't want to be spending much on them! My limit for my own is usually €3.97 in Heatons!!

I'm not sure about the lenses on the public system. I would imagine than anything regarded as non-essential wouldn't be covered. You can get cheap(ish) frames and lenses for €55 in Specsavers link
    It's worth checking out independent opticians as well. They can have decent offers and usually a better quality of service

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My son's (age 5) optician tinted a previous pair, there wasn't much scope in the strength of the prescription so he said it wouldn't harm him.. can't remember how much it cost but definitely was very cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Get them from glassesdirect.co.uk. best prices I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The price seems to depend more on the frames than the lens. I paid €55 as an adult with a odd prescription lens snd a special coating on them in a Independent place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Orion wrote: »
    Get them from glassesdirect.co.uk. best prices I've found.

Children's eyes are developing and accurate spectacle measurements and fitting is crucial. For this reason (amongst others), it's illegal for online suppliers to supply glasses to under-16s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Children's eyes are developing and accurate spectacle measurements and fitting is crucial. For this reason (amongst others), it's illegal for online suppliers to supply glasses to under-16s.

That's nonsense - everyone's eyes are developing. I'm 45 and my eyes are still developing. You do need to get a proper eye test. Physical measurements are easily done with a ruler by anyone who can use one.

Have you any reference for this "illegal" opinion? There are plenty of reputable online stores where you can buy glasses for kids all across Europe. Nothing illegal about it at all. Once you have your prescription you can buy online. All you need are the measurements for the face and the PD which your optician will give you. You can even upload photos and try on the glasses to see what they look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Go to specsavers and get the second pair prescription shades. I'd also recommend buying a slightly more expensive frame and they'll last much longer. My last before these ones lasted 4 years before I lost them.

Advertisement