Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1000's of kids making their communion today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

I'm not making any assumptions at all. It's quite clear who is, and who isn't, interested in discussing the issues with the RCC and it's influence in Irish society. Semantic dancing on the head of a pin stuff is tiresome, as is the disingenuous and disinterested efforts of the OP to actually have any real discussion.

You know you're free to leave, yeah? Why as a catholic, do you roam the A&A forum anyway? You don't want answers to truths - you want arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

You know you're free to leave, yeah? Why as a catholic, do you roam the A&A forum anyway? You don't want answers to truths - you want arguments.

He's looking for discussion I'll assume, which is what anyone here does

So...tell me how those quotes arent discriminative in nature ... You've literally said you are better than people who belive

I'm genuinely interested to see your response...I would have thought you'd be happy to debate this topic...you seem very hostile and tunnel vision on this imo anyway

pone2012 wrote: »
    So...tell me how those quotes arent discriminative in nature ...
    When did I say they weren't? Of course they are - I'm discriminating against paedo-sympathisers & apologists.

Why did you bother quoting all that stuff, only to then ask me to admit something I never denied? "Just admit it, bro - they're discriminating statements" - yeah I know they are.
    You've literally said you are better than people who belive
    Because I am. People who believe in something based on evidence, are better than those who deny evidence and believe far-fetched nonsense that has zero evidence to back it up.
    I assumed it went without saying that smart people are better than stupid people. Everyone knows that, except the stupid people. Bit of a catch 22 I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Of course I know I'm free to leave, just like you're free to think what you like about other people, but what you're not free to do is accuse people of being ok with child abuse. You can't back up what you say then so you've been throwing your toys out of the pram ever since.

What's amusing for me personally is that you appear to think you're actually original. I would like the answers to truths, but you seem incapable of answering any questions that are put to you, like backing up your claims with evidence.

I like to browse the A&A forum because there are always interesting discussions going on. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them, and because you didn't get the reaction you wanted, you're trying even harder, and simply getting nowhere.

And then you wonder why people can't take you seriously...

what you're not free to do is accuse people of being ok with child abuse.
    I think you'll find I am free to do that, I did do it, and I gave my reasoning behind it numerous times.
    like backing up your claims with evidence.
    Eh, aren't you a catholic?
    And then you wonder why people can't take you seriously...
    When did I wonder that? I don't recall asking that question. Did you just make that up?

Eh, aren't you a catholic?

Ehh, how about you back up your claims with evidence since you made them in your opening post?

You're the smarter one here Kenny who uses science, critical thinking, reason and logical argument to present your claims that you made in your opening post, so I'd like to see the evidence you examined that led you to form the conclusions you came to in your opening post.

If you want anyone to take you seriously, then present the evidence you have. Otherwise I'm included to think you're presenting claims in your opening post, for which you have no evidence.

I think you'll find I am free to do that, I did do it, and I gave my reasoning behind it numerous times.

So you've got nothing then?

Cool.

I think we're done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Firstly, the onus is on the person making the wild claims to provide proof for them.
    Eh, just on that note.....

When did I say they weren't? Of course they are - I'm discriminating against paedo-sympathisers & apologists.

Why did you bother quoting all that stuff, only to then ask me to admit something I never denied? "Just admit it, bro - they're discriminating statements" - yeah I know they are.

I quoted it all to show that you were indeed slating and not telling, which you argued earlier

So , you slated the Catholic Church a few pages back for discriminating against the LGBT community, yet you think its perfectly ok to slate RC's??

If you dont see the hypocrisy in that i don't know what to tell you

Because I am. People who believe in something based on evidence, are better than those who deny evidence and believe far-fetched nonsense that has zero evidence to back it up.
    I assumed it went without saying that smart people are better than stupid people. Everyone knows that, except the stupid people. Bit of a catch 22 I guess...

I guess you're OK with discrimination then?, effectively you and the RCC share some commonalties after all :)

Hope that thought rests well with you :)

Btw, holding the belief that people who are Catholics should completely abandon everything to do with their faith based on a tragic series of events facilitated by a number of different parties, is quite frankly the stupid part imo

Let me make this clear, seeing as although you claim to be smart, your posts suggest the opposite, in that your're incapable of seeing common sense.

The people committed the crimes....multiple organizations facilitated and covered it up...if you're going to condemn one, quite frankly its hypocritical

So if you're as to your word as you say, better start burning that passport and renouncing your nationality

Oh and the state has not moved on from the RCC....yet they have the power to....interesting how they are still facilitating them isnt it?

Your argument is paper thin and based on hatred, not logic:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Smart people are better then stupid people?
    Can you define smart? Or stupid for that matter?
    Who are stupid people? Is it just who you decide are stupid, or is there some intellectual difficulties?

Do you hold your hatred specifically for the RC church and its followers?
    Or do you also hate other God believing religions just as much?
    What I dont understand is why you feel the need to ridicule other people's beliefs?
    You have put down every person that believes in God, the fairy tale man in the sky etc.
    You call them stupid.
    What about your parents? Do they believe in God? Your friends?
    Do you insult them regularly. Do you believe you are better then them?

I don't believe in God, but you are the biggest advertisement for religion I have seen. Maybe if your bigotry & hatred got a bit of religion you might become a nicer person.
    Because to be honest Kenny, you come across as a horrible individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Smart people are better than stupid people. You are better than a "stupid " person. Ok. Better in what way? Your very angry that the stupid people are allowed to practice their religion . Do you think that the smart people, like you, should really be put in charge of everything and prevent the stupid people from doing stupid things?

Stop getting so butthurt. I was asked if I think I'm better than religious people and I said yes. Purely because they are gullible & believe in fairy-tales, and I don't. And by "better", I mean smarter - i.e. not a thick who believes everything they hear, no matter how ridiculous, without evidence to support it.

I got asked a question numerous times, I gave an honest answer and explained my reasoning behind it. Just because you don't like the answer, you're going to get annoyed at me? Be a good christian and be more tolerant then.
    Your very angry that the stupid people are allowed to practice their religion .

I never said they they shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion. They can do what they want. We're 25 pages in FFS, and you have no idea what this discussion is about. For the last time: I questioned people's allegiance to a paedophile ring & criminal organisation. I asked why they seem morally okay still being associated with said organisation. I asked a question. I dictated nothing to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Whatever you think yourself Mark. You really don't strike me as all that interested in the discussion anyway tbh.

If you think that your moving of the goalposts, strawmanning and whataboutery actually counts as discussion, then no, I'm not too interested in that. Of course, I still responded to it all and yet it's now you who runs away accusing me of not being interested in discussion.
    I'm not making any assumptions at all. It's quite clear who is, and who isn't, interested in discussing the issues with the RCC and it's influence in Irish society. Semantic dancing on the head of a pin stuff is tiresome, as is the disingenuous and disinterested efforts of the OP to actually have any real discussion.

Expecting people to use words consistently is not semantic "dancing on the head of a pin stuff ", it's kind of what a function discussion requires to, you know, function. Making stupid knee-jerk claims about X, then claiming you didn't mean X, then claiming your opposition isn't interested in discussion because they point out your inconsistencies with X is not participating in discussion.

If you think that your moving of the goalposts, strawmanning and whataboutery actually counts as discussion, then no, I'm not too interested in that. Of course, I still responded to it all and yet it's now you who runs away accusing me of not being interested in discussion.

Expecting people to use words consistently is not semantic "dancing on the head of a pin stuff ", it's kind of what a function discussion requires to, you know, function. Making stupid knee-jerk claims about X, then claiming you didn't mean X, then claiming your opposition isn't interested in discussion because they point out your inconsistencies with X is not participating in discussion.

I didn't introduce the KKK or LFC into the discussion, you did that. You twisted my post where the point was already clear, to try and take it down a rabbit hole where I said I wasn't willing to go. There was no inconsistency in what I said, and your attempting to manufacture inconsistencies aren't really my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I didn't introduce the KKK or LFC into the discussion, you did that. You twisted my post where the point was already clear, to try and take it down a rabbit hole where I said I wasn't willing to go. There was no inconsistency in what I said, and your attempting to manufacture inconsistencies aren't really my problem.

You made a stupid claim that affiliations are meaningless to you and I used the KKK and LFC to show how that claim was stupid. There is no rabbit hole, just your knee-jerk responses that break down under the lightest of scrutinies. You are now even claiming that I'm not interested in discussion because I pointed out your unworkable inconsistency. Stop posting without thinking and this wont happen!

• Advertisement

For the last time: I questioned people's allegiance to a paedophile ring & criminal organisation. I asked why they seem morally okay still being associated with said organisation. I asked a question.

Kenny for all your claims of using logic and reason, you don't appear to be familiar at all with the concept of logical fallacies -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Here's an interesting resource I always found useful -

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

You made a stupid claim that affiliations are meaningless to you and I used the KKK and LFC to show how that claim was stupid. There is no rabbit hole, just your knee-jerk responses that break down under the lightest of scrutinies. You are now even claiming that I'm not interested in discussion because I pointed out your unworkable inconsistency. Stop posting without thinking and this wont happen!

You didn't manage to show my claim was stupid at all though, you simply ignored what I said and tried to make an argument where there was none. Read what I actually wrote, and this won't happen.

Stop getting so butthurt. I was asked if I think I'm better than religious people and I said yes. Purely because they are gullible & believe in fairy-tales, and I don't. And by "better", I mean smarter - i.e. not a thick who believes everything they hear, no matter how ridiculous, without evidence to support it.

I got asked a question numerous times, I gave an honest answer and explained my reasoning behind it. Just because you don't like the answer, you're going to get annoyed at me? Be a good christian and be more tolerant then.

I never said they they shouldn't be allowed to practice their religion. They can do what they want. We're 25 pages in FFS, and you have no idea what this discussion is about. For the last time: I questioned people's allegiance to a paedophile ring & criminal organisation. I asked why they seem morally okay still being associated with said organisation. I asked a question. I dictated nothing to anyone.

Your posts suggest you're anything but smart

You share traits of the RCC doctrine that you claimed were unfair , yet slate anyone who in any way follows a religious belief...the hypocritical nature of your entire argument is funny, juvenile, hate filled and laced with stupidity.

Peoples alliegence is to their faith, not to organization..but your head is buried to deep to see it. The majority of people in Ireland are non practicing catholics...which you've stated yourself in another post... You forgot that? To any intelligent person that would suggest they aren't in support of the organisation.

There are intelligent, clever people who follow religious beliefs and idiotic people who don't...and vice versa... You seem to think otherwise... You're wrong.. The evidence suggests this

So answer my question, please... Continue your paper thin argument that is based on one of the very features of RC that you criticised, discrimination. Tell me how you're justifying your position knowing it's the height of hypocrisy?

You share traits of the RCC doctrine that you claimed were unfair

Like what? Your entire post is based off this false assertion. What traits do I share with the church?

Like what? Your entire post is based off this false assertion. What traits do I share with the church?

DISCRIMINATION! This whole thread is laced with it

• Advertisement

DISCRIMINATION! This whole thread is laced with it

I discriminate against stupid people - they're not a race or a minority. They're the majority, actually.

Your insincere and over-wrought moralising, your claims that you're smarter than people of faith, your attempts to associate people with disgusting acts, yet you make light of those disgusting acts yourself...

Goes on and on, and you think you're better than anyone else? If becoming a better person means becoming anything like you, I think I'll pass. I'd rather remain what you think is a gullible degenerate, than become anything like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

The Relation Between Intelligence and
    Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some
    Proposed Explanations

Abstract
    A meta-analysis of 63 studies showed a significant negative association between intelligence and religiosity. The association
    was stronger for college students and the general population than for participants younger than college age; it was also
    stronger for religious beliefs than religious behavior. For college students and the general population, means of weighted
    and unweighted correlations between intelligence and the strength of religious beliefs ranged from −.20 to −.25 (mean r =
    −.24). Three possible interpretations were discussed. First, intelligent people are less likely to conform and, thus, are more
    likely to resist religious dogma. Second, intelligent people tend to adopt an analytic (as opposed to intuitive) thinking style,
    which has been shown to undermine religious beliefs. Third, several functions of religiosity, including compensatory control,
    self-regulation, self-enhancement, and secure attachment, are also conferred by intelligence. Intelligent people may therefore
    have less need for religious beliefs and practices.

http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/The-Relation-Between-Intelligence-and-Religiosity-A-Meta-Analysis-and-Some-Proposed-Explanations.pdf

That document doesn't actually support Kenny's claims though.

(notwithstanding the fact that it only refers to analytical intelligence, ignoring the many other types of intelligence)

Exactly, Bristol. Proves my point, and there are numerous other studies that yielded the same results. Now move on lads & stop being so butthurt by facts.

If only you questioned all those tall tales you believe, as much as you question me, eh!?

That document doesn't actually support Kenny's claims though.

It does though. In fact, that simple study supports my claim more than your bible can support any of your (or your church's) claims.

An alien lands on this planet - completely unbiased, is it fair to say? You line up 2 people. You say to the aliens: "The one on the left thinks virgins can have babies and that people can rise from the dead after 3 days and they have an imaginary friend. The person on the right believes none of that.
    So Mr. Alien - based on what you've observed about our planet, physics, and all you've experienced about the universe - who is smarter?"

Which one do they pick? They pick the guy on the right. And they laugh at the guy on the left & probably shoot him in the face with a laser gun for being so stupid.

Your username is apt - trying viewing the world through both eyes. You get a better perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

The title of your thread concerns your outrage at thousands of people practising their religion. Your filled with rage because you don't have the mental capability to understand who what or where the RCC is. Carry on but at some stage you will have to consider why it is you, the angry hate spewing fist waver , who is marginalised by society, and the communion day goers are not.

Exactly, Bristol. Proves my point, and there are numerous other studies that yielded the same results. Now move on lads & stop being so butthurt by facts.

When are you going to start posting facts?

If only you questioned all those tall tales you believe, as much as you question me, eh!?

You make outrageous and insulting claims about people, and when people question you to provide evidence for your claims, you make like you're being persecuted?

The irony.

I discriminate against stupid people - they're not a race or a minority. They're the majority, actually.

Actually, you're discriminating against people based on their religious beliefs, then attempting to disguise it by calling them stupid.

Plenty of intelligent people hold religious beliefs, and your posts indicate you're the furthest thing from intelligent.

Thats a meta-analysis btw not empirical evidence...you know nothing of the validity or reliability of the 63 studies used. But do assume of course.

I believe I read in an earlier post you send your child to a catholic school? of course by sending her there that you are inadvertently supporting the RCC...they get money for each student you know :rolleyes: .Plus if your felt that strongly im sure you'd have went with an Educate Together one. Although, that probably wouldn't suffice either you see, they accommodate all beliefs, you however don't

Come off it...you argument is complete crap as is your logic and attitude

Any intelligent person knows that unity despite beliefs is of the utmost importance...you seem to think a lack of belief is superior

again no...there are far more intelligent people than you who have beliefs.. from all faiths not just RC

trying viewing the world through both eyes. You get a better perspective.

Thats rich, coming from the person who's viewing it through one squinted eye :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Kenny - You are the epitome of everything you despise in others....

You just can't see it yet but you will when you grow up...

"Judging others does not define who they are, it defines who you are..."

Bristol posted facts for me that backed up my claims to be smarter than religious people.
    What now? You pretend that didn't just happen?

What about my alien analogy - you like that?

This is rubbish Kenny.
    Firstly, you have to suppose that any alien life, is comparable to human life.
    That they could understand us.
    That they are more intelligent, but they have no understanding of tolerance & respect.

In exactly the same way, I'm just gonna assume that any aliens landing here, from anywhere are just going to eat us. Because they like eating humans & they look like a cross between a dinosaur and a rabbit.

It's not an argument Kenny, let alone a winner!

It does though. In fact, that simple study supports my claim more than your bible can support any of your (or your church's) claims.

Strawman fallacy Kenny. It doesn't support your claims. I haven't made any claims with regard to any correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

An alien lands on this planet - completely unbiased, is it fair to say? You line up 2 people. You say to the aliens: "The one on the left thinks virgins can have babies and that people can rise from the dead after 3 days and they have an imaginary friend. The person on the right believes none of that.
    So Mr. Alien - based on what you've observed about our planet, physics, and all you've experienced about the universe - who is smarter?"

Which one do they pick? They pick the guy on the right. And they laugh at the guy on the left & probably shoot him in the face with a laser gun for being so stupid.

I think I'd rather be the guy on the left in that scenario. Aliens aren't likely to offer the guy on the right tea and biscuits before they probe his orifices.

Your username is apt - trying viewing the world through both eyes. You get a better perspective.

My username is only apt because I am blind in one eye. That ad hominem aside, I'll ask again since you're smarter than I am and you use logic, reason and facts:

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is rubbish Kenny.
    Firstly, you have to suppose that any alien life, is comparable to human life.
    That they could understand us.
    That they are more intelligent, but they have no understanding of tolerance & respect.

In exactly the same way, I'm just gonna assume that any aliens landing here, from anywhere are just going to eat us. Because they like eating humans & they look like a cross between a dinosaur and a rabbit.

It's not an argument Kenny, let alone a winner!
    lol - you avoided the point of the analogy (i.e. using a 100% unbiased judge) and argued for or against aliens existing.... which was nothing to do with it. Unbelievable.

I think I'd rather be the guy on the left in that scenario. Aliens aren't likely to offer the guy on the right tea and biscuits before they probe his orifices.

I didn't ask which one you'd prefer to be - read it slower. I asked who the alien would think is smarter. Try to keep up.

Bristol posted a study - similar ones have been done with identical results. That was a fact - not sure how you've missed it twice now. But evidence isn't your thing, I assume. You avoid it at all costs or your beliefs will fall apart.

I ask the same question of you - where are your facts?

Bristol posted facts for me that backed up my claims to be smarter than religious people.
    What now? You pretend that didn't just happen?

Kenny it didn't happen though?

That wasn't an analogy Kenny, it was a scenario that demonstrated nothing.

lol - you avoided the point of the analogy (i.e. using a 100% unbiased judge) and argued for or against aliens existing.... which was nothing to do with it. Unbelievable.

Aliens wouldn't be a 100% unbiased judge though, they would come with preconceived ideas also about the universe & life.

You didn't answer my questions earlier, do your family & friends believe in God ? Do you believe you are better than them & that they are stupid?
    Do you discriminate against them & put them down for their beliefs?

Kenny it didn't happen though?

Eh okay, you looper.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99800551&postcount=374
    That wasn't an analogy Kenny, it was a scenario that demonstrated nothing.

It was perfect - answer it.

• Advertisement

:pac:

Ohh bloody hell. The alien was your creation Kenny, naturally they're going to agree with you. It's hardly a coincidence :pac:

You didn't answer my questions earlier, do your family & friends believe in God ? Do you believe you are better than them & that they are stupid?
    Do you discriminate against them & put them down for their beliefs?

My parents do - none of my friends, siblings, or my wife do. We're all very well educated.

Yes, I believe they are stupid. They grew up in an ignorant time.

I'll discuss it if they bring it up first. It's usually only around dinner with the in-laws it happens though. Never with my own parents. I'll bite if provoked, but otherwise leave them to it to wallow in ignorance. The shock on my MIL's face when she found out our eldest wasn't making her communion, lol.

Eh okay, you looper.

Eh, how about you answer my post, considering it highlights just how hypocritical you actually are

Im sure you realise that hypocrisy is the embodiment of stupidity. Just thought id add that

Eh okay, you looper.

It wasn't at all perfect Kenny, and you already answered for the "alien" yourself :pac:

My parents do - none of my friends, siblings, or my wife do. We're all very well educated.

Yes, I believe they are stupid

. The shock on my MIL's face when she found out our eldest wasn't making her communion, lol.

Wow, you believe your parents are stupid, such respect. Although judging by your attitude all through this thread, I'm not surprised.

Why would your daughter make communion ?
    Surely you didn't baptize her into a massive paedophile ring full of criminals did you ?

Wow, you believe your parents are stupid

Bigtime.

• Advertisement

Wow, you believe your parents are stupid, such respect. Although judging by your attitude all through this thread, I'm not surprised.

Surely you didn't baptize her into a massive paedophile ring full of criminals did you ?

Nono, he just supports the RCC inadvertently by sending her to a Catholic School, Which he mentioned in another thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The shock on my MIL's face when she found out our eldest wasn't making her communion, lol.

Wait - Are you actually a grown up :eek::confused:

No offense but from reading your posts i just assumed you were some angry angst ridden teen..

Puts your posts in a whole new perspective tbh..

And a lot more worrying...

But sure keep telling yourself you're the "intelligent one" and best of luck with it :rolleyes:

It'll be a long road with no turning my friend....

Apparently when it suits Kenny's purposes, he's ok with "supporting paedophile rings full of criminals" by enrolling his own children in their "recruitment grounds" where "they get 'em young" :rolleyes:

But when anyone else does it, Kenny doesn't understand why... apparently :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

What qualifications do you have?
    What about your parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nono, he just supports the RCC inadvertently by sending her to a Catholic School, Which he mentioned in another thread :pac:

In his defence, the nearest ET school to him could either be the best part of an hour's drive away or could have been over-subscribed for years before those children would be due to start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement