Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fishing Series/Documentaries?

Options
  • 14-05-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions? Have Trawlermen and Deadliest Catch already but looking for more Angling related stuff, doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there, Im sure the BBC must have done a few?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Discovery shed usually has full days of angling programmes on. The great rod race and other shows done by Matt Hayes, they cover everything from carp to big game fishing in the tropics. Also thinking tackle but that's normally carp fishing exclusively. John Wilson has a few shows on there too. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

The fly V jerk shows on youtube are very good, pike fishing in Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

Wicked Tuna

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

The Great Rod race is brilliant. They catch every type of fish.

Hooked on fishing is another good one, mostly trout and salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No fisherman but I enjoy Jeremy Wade on River Monsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

John Wilson had a programme on UTV about a hundred years ago called "Go Fishing".....got me hooked. 'Think they're available on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wild Fishing with Henry Gilby's, Fishing on the Edge, a good few of his programmes are filmed in Ireland ....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Check out a documentary called "Once in a Blue Moon" ..... crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Extreme fishing with Robson Green is a new favourite of mine.

Of the classics it was hard to beat Paul Young and hooked on fishing. I could never take to Jkhn Wilson.

Oh and for the comedy factor a bit of Rex Hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

River monsters is quality, hes catches fish we could only ever dream of catching. love the two great rod race series with mick brown and matt hayes, they have two different personalities but they gel well in the programs. A passion for angling is good as well and excellently produced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

River monsters is quality, hes catches fish we could only ever dream of catching. love the two great rod race series with mick brown and matt hayes, they have two different personalities but they gel well in the programs. A passion for angling is good as well and excellently produced

Second that one, one of the best and it's all on YouTube. There was another in a similar vein, Tales From The Riverbank, broadcast on UTV/BBC years back but it looks like it never got a re-release or re-run and there's no trace of it now. Basically gave an episode per species, really well put together. If anyone has a scratchy VHS copy of it out there, hang onto it for dear life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

A passion for angling is probably the greatest angling show ever, it perfectly captured all the ups and downs of angling! The narration by Bernard Cribbins made the show, he set up the scenes so well, it was like you were standing beside Chris Yates and Bob James.

Go Fishing by John Wilson is a very close second. His catch of many double figured bream in 1994 on a slider float, is the greatest coarse catch ever to be done for the cameras.

Some people don't like Matt Hayes, I really enjoy his shows as he is an all eounder, and his his first show would have 3 parts, each one fishing for a different species. My favourite is record breaking fish, as Mick seems to out fish Matt on that show!

Kev Green had some great shows, I was very sad to hear he passed away.

Seeking Shadows is a great show, I love the under water camera work, and Martin Bowler is a top specimen angler.

Honourable mention to Paul Young and Rex hunt!

Those would be my top shows, and I'll usually watch any of them if the repeats are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Honourable mention to Paul Young and Rex hunt!

Loved Rex hunt when I was growing up

Loved Rex hunt when I was growing up

same, Rex is the reason I got into fishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Go Fishing by John Wilson is a very close second. His catch of many double figured bream in 1994 on a slider float, is the greatest coarse catch ever to be done for the cameras.

I used to used to eat, sleep, breath this show as a child. Some of it has made it to dvd but I'm surprised more isn't available considering how long it ran for. Used to record it on video from UTV but the political talk shows alway ran over time and I'd only get half the programme:rolleyes: sometimes just the intro theme music:mad:

9 double figured bream in the early 90s. Probably my favourite catch by John, I remember my jay dropping the first time I seen this as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check out the DVD section in Dealz. There are often fishing dvds there. Nothing overly exciting but grand for anyone starting out and needing some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Best movies for Trout, Salmon, Artic Char:

The Source - New Zealand
    The Source - Tasmaina
    The Source - Iceland
    Back Country North Island
    Back Country South Island
    Once in a blue moon
    Heart of the Driftless

Saltwater, pike, GT's etc:
    Predators
    Leviathian
    A backward in nowhere
    Patagoina Silver

Movies about fishing and river habitates:
    Only the river knows
    Red Gold
    DamNation

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

seeking shadows. martin bowler fisher for different types of course fish with the changing of the seasons. 9/10

catching the impossible. martin bowler, nephew of the legend john wilson, come on, this man is going to be the biggest name in fishing. 9 episodes of the most amazing fishing you will ever see. A lot of the old legends turn up in it aswell. 10/10

a passion for angling made in 1993 has to be the best fishing series ever made. got me hooked on fishing as a boy. 11/10

these are mainly course and pike fishing but trout and salmon turn up in some episodes. if your into fishing you will love these.

trailers on you tube for most of them.

wish i could watch these for the first time all over again

Advertisement