Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transporting a cat from France to Ireland

• 14-05-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Mods ive searched for a relevant thread but cannot find one so apologies if one exists already.

Im living in france at the moment and will be moving home at the end of July. Geting my cat there seems to be the hardest part. I have emailed the Aerlingus Cargo company and have yet to get a reply, so I thought i'd do the next best thing and ask all of you intelligent Boardsies......

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences of this and if so how did you find it?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

There are companies that will transport your animal (dog or cat) to the UK. I know someone who had their dog transported as far as Holyhead. They then got the ferry over to Holyhead from Dublin, picked up the dog and took the return ferry back.

This is one such company http://pet-couriers.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

MrKingsley wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences of this and if so how did you find it?

We brought a cat to the US. Air cargo with Aer Lingus and was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

First Up wrote: »
    We brought a cat to the US. Air cargo with Aer Lingus and was absolutely fine.

Thanks for the replies. May I ask how much it was to the us for the cat? No one seems to be able to give me an answer.....

MrKingsley wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. May I ask how much it was to the us for the cat? No one seems to be able to give me an answer.....

Don't remember but it wasn't exorbitant. Aer Lingus cargo dept should give you a quote over the phone.

If you are taking the ferry it should be very straightforward. I see pets on the Oscar Wilde every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know a few people who go to France to do cat shows and the ferry definitely seems to be the easiest way and fairest on the cats!

Yeah thats what i wanted to do but Irish and British ferries are all booked out for the whole of July going from France to Ireland.

Thanks for all of the suggestions

So that crowd got back to me in the end.

For anyone whose interested it would cost rough 1400€ to transport a cat from Paris to Dublin.

Interestingly it costs 7€ to take her from bordeaux to Dusseldorf.........

Bloody hell. You could almost charter your own jet for that. Exorbitant.

Did you look at Stena Lines - or landbridge? There has to be a much cheaper way.

I know its insane. The cat is only 4 kilos and her carrier box is 45cm long and 35 wide.

The 'pre flight paperwork' costs 390€ EXCL VAT (20%).

The flight is 490€ excl VAT

IATA aprroved carrier box 100€ excl VAT

Administration after arrival in Dublin 120€ excl VAT

And if i want her delivered to my place thatll be another 100€

There isnt a ferry available so far that I can see. Irish and British ferries are completely booked out until mid August.

My girlfriend is not a happy camper.....

I really dont know what to do

• Advertisement

MrKingsley wrote:
    I really dont know what to do

Surelt the route through the UK is possible? If you don't have a car available, how about Eurostar to London, then train to Holyhead?

Read my mind. Ive just been on the eurostar site and it seems they only allow guide dogs...

MrKingsley wrote:
    Read my mind. Ive just been on the eurostar site and it seems they only allow guide dogs...

Seems harsh. Regular train and ferry?

First Up wrote: »
    Seems harsh. Regular train and ferry?

British ferries only allow animals on with motorized vehicules.....

Thanks for all your suggestions first up

they are really appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think lufthansa let you bring your pet in the cabin as long as certain size and weight criteria are met. Maybe check if that's an option?

miezekatze wrote: »
    I think lufthansa let you bring your pet in the cabin as long as certain size and weight criteria are met. Maybe check if that's an option?

Bingo!! If the cat and box combined weigh less than 8 kg then they can travel in the cabin. Otherwise they need to go in the cargo hold. How is it that simple....

As it just so happens my girlfriend is from Dusseldorf so that is a really legitimate option.

Price comparison -

Dusseldorf - Dublin (1h 40mins) = 50€ in the cabin or 100€ in the cargo hold

Paris - Dublin (1h 15 mins) = 1340€ with a load of ridiculous charges and requirements

Advertisement