Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday entitlements

Options
  • 14-05-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi - can anyone give me up date informatiom with casual part time workers holiday entitlements - who work on a weekend basis - maybe 4-5 hours per night .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

claregal1 wrote: »
    Hi - can anyone give me up date informatiom with casual part time workers holiday entitlements - who work on a weekend basis - maybe 4-5 hours per night .

Leave accrues at 8% of hours worked.

48min holiday leave for 10hrs worked, if you worked 2 nights every weekend, after twelve and a half weeks you would be entitled to a paid weekend off.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

davo10 wrote: »
    Leave accrues at 8% of hours worked.

48min holiday leave for 10hrs worked, if you worked 2 nights every weekend, after twelve and a half weeks you would be entitled to a paid weekend off.
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying - without getting into too much detail the manager is insisting that as we never signed a contract we are not entitled to any holiday pay what so ever . The owners of the company live abroad so can not take this up with them and the manager is refusing to give us the details of the accountant who does our wages .
    It's like hanging out heads off the wall trying to tell her we are only looking for what we are entitled to ... will raise this again with her and see what she says ....

claregal1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying - without getting into too much detail the manager is insisting that as we never signed a contract we are not entitled to any holiday pay what so ever . The owners of the company live abroad so can not take this up with them and the manager is refusing to give us the details of the accountant who does our wages .
    It's like hanging out heads off the wall trying to tell her we are only looking for what we are entitled to ... will raise this again with her and see what she says ....

Accruel of annual leave is not discretionary, your boss cannot decide to not give it to you because you do not have a contract. Annual leave is a statutory entitlement covered by very clear employment law (Organisation of working time act). If you are an employee, you accrue annual leave at 8% of time worked irrespective of whether you have a signed contract. Incidentally, you can tell your employer that he is supposed to supply you with a contract of employment within 2 months of your commencement date.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

davo10 wrote: »
    Accruel of annual leave is not discretionary, your boss cannot decide to not give it to you because you do not have a contract. Annual leave is a statutory entitlement covered by very clear employment law (Organisation of working time act). If you are an employee, you accrue annual leave at 8% of time worked irrespective of whether you have a signed contract. Incidentally, you can tell your employer that he is supposed to supply you with a contract of employment within 2 months of your commencement date.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

I actually worked for this company full time back in 2007 for two years and never signed a contract then either but I do know I did take holidays in that time frame . There is a new manager there who I had never dealt with and it's trying to get past her to get the holiday pay which is driving me nuts - to be honest it's not really about the money now at this stage it's the principle of the matter - we are only looking for our basic entitlments - I'm only back working there since early Dec as I'm waiting to be called for a permanent position but from talking to the other staff it turns out none of the girls have got any holiday pay in the last two years . I'm Irish by the way and the other staff including the manager are all polish and the other staff are afraid to rock the boat because she keeps throwing the no contract thing back in our faces . Thanks for all the info - will keep you posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Hi, work 20 hours a week part time and according to my contract I'm entitled to 20 days holidays pro rata per month worked. Can anyone tell what this means? Thanks for help

• Advertisement

gingergirl wrote: »
    Hi, work 20 hours a week part time and according to my contract I'm entitled to 20 days holidays pro rata per month worked. Can anyone tell what this means? Thanks for help

It means that if you worked full time for 52 weeks a year, you would be entitled to 20 days off. The amount you actually get off depends on how many days/hours you actually do work (pro rata). You can calculate the amount of leave you are owed by counting up all the hours you worked since January 1st, divide it by 100 and multiple it by 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

gingergirl wrote:

Simply put, for every 100 hours worked, you're due 8 hours holiday pay.

So at 20 hours a week worked, that's averaging 80 hours a month, so every month you'd be owed 0.8 x 8hrs leave... almost 6.5hrs of holiday pay (exact figure will vary slightly depending on hours per month etc... But you'll always be owed 8 hours holiday pay for every 100 hours you work, so every 5 weeks worked at 20hrs/wk you're owed 8 hours holiday pay)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Easier way to remember it

Full Time 40 hrs per week = 20 Days per year

Part Time 20 hrs per week = 10 Days per year

Casual Time 10 hrs per week = 5 Days per year

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Agent_99 wrote:
    Part Time 20 hrs per week = 10 Days per year

Agent_99 wrote:
    Full Time 40 hrs per week = 20 Days per year

Agent_99 wrote:
    Easier way to remember it

Not quite correct. If someone works 20 hours a week as in 5 days by 4 hours , they get 20 days holidays the same as a 40 hour worker would

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not quite correct. If someone works 20 hours a week as in 5 days by 4 hours , they get 20 days holidays the same as a 40 hour worker would

leave would 8% of the hours worked so for 20 hours a week that is as near to 10 days as makes no difference. now because you only work 4 hours a day that means you get 20 shifts off work in the year, but you do not receive 20 days leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

leave would 8% of the hours worked so for 20 hours a week that is as near to 10 days as makes no difference. now because you only work 4 hours a day that means you get 20 shifts off work in the year, but you do not receive 20 days leave.

If a "day" for a worker is 4 hours then yes, they get 20 days leave per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jose Maria

Quick question, this is causing big friction in our company

I work for a company with 40 employees(10 production staff), the production staff have been told to take their 2 weeks annual leave on the the first 2 weeks of August compulsory , the rest of the employees can use their holidays as they please. Have the production staff any rights to take their annual leave when they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,447 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the company has the right to determine when you take your leave subject to sufficient notice.

Advertisement