Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network for roaming in Switzerland?

• 14-05-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Could anyone advise please on which network is best/cheapest for roaming in Switzerland?
    Heading over next week for 1 day and am hoping to be able to use my phone over there.
    currently with 3 but I could pick up a payg sim for another provider to use on the day if the rates are cheaper or there's an add-on I could purchase.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Swisscom is the biggest network and would have the best coverage - Salt may be cheaper though. You may want to check that you will be able to purchase one when you are over there, some countries are much stricter on the purchase of prepaid SIMs and do ID checks etc
    Not sure if this will be an issue win Swizterland or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks RQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just checking to see if anyone is aware of any decent options for roaming in Switzerland? A family member will be over there in a couple of weeks. It looks like roaming is completely impractical on Virgin Mobile ( e7 per MB!).

I did see this post noting that Vodafone include Switzerland in their standard EU roaming package. But there doesn't seem to be any option to get a short term SIM for Vodafone.

Any ideas welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just checking to see if anyone is aware of any decent options for roaming in Switzerland? A family member will be over there in a couple of weeks. It looks like roaming is completely impractical on Virgin Mobile ( e7 per MB!).

I did see this post noting that Vodafone include Switzerland in their standard EU roaming package. But there doesn't seem to be any option to get a short term SIM for Vodafone.

Any ideas welcome.

Vodafone pay as you go sim seems the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Agreed. Was there last year and Vodafone worked perfectly. I moved ahead of the holiday as it was the only network that treated it like EU.

Have also found that Vodafone best for EU roaming as they let you use your full package, other networks avail of 'fair use roaming' limits, e.g. my wife is Tesco Mobile with 15Gb data but on holiday only 9.8Gb allowed for use before overage charges apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GIMP wrote: »
    Vodafone pay as you go sim seems the best option
    Thanks, but I'd have to sign up for 12 months, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭GIMP

No, it ready to go, buy a sim and top up, no commitment once you return from Switzerland. Make sure your phone is not locked to any network. Best bet is go into a Vodafone shop and they can set it up for you.

Advertisement