Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on buying used phones

Options
  • 14-05-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am new to Ireland, so please help me understand this. I am interested in buying an S7, and I was checking adverts and donedeal and their seems to be really good deals on used phones. Now assuming the phone itself is in great condition and that I inspect a phone and it works. Can a bill pay phone get black listed by the operator a few months down the line for any reason? generally when buying a new phone is there anything i should be aware off from the legal/ network provider perspective?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Therein lies one of the potential pitfalls of buying phones second hand. Unfortunately, some undesirable individuals have been known to sell the phone privately, then after a day or two the phone will suddenly no longer work for the new owner, theory being that original owner registers the phone as lost/stolen and reclaims value from insurance. Only real way to protect yourself there is to only buy from a seller who will provide you with the receipt. Goes without saying, vast majority of sellers are genuine but unfortunately there's no way to tell the scammers apart from genuine sellers usually until it's too late.

I'm not really aware that the networks themselves have any problem with customers selling on phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You want to buy an S7 used? Asking to be scammed. Its only just out, few people would buy a 700€ handset only to sell it a couple months later. It is a great way to scam somebody of a chunk of cash though.

Donedeal/Gumtree are the worst as there's no reputation system to add some morsel of security. Use Adverts or Ebay and purchase from a seller with a longstanding and very positive reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 os88

that makes sense .. i guess I will pass and go for an unlocked one from ebay, Cheers lads

Advertisement