Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bikeworld Gouging Customers

• 14-05-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I was picking up a few bits to service the bike this weekend. I went to Cotters and picked up everything except the air filter which was not in stock. Helpful guy as always said he would get one in for me on Tuesday for €17.99. (Hiflo 3610).

Obviously was hoping to get the work done over the weekend so I said I would try another shop and give him a buzz if they did not have it in stock.

Popped up to Bikeworld to see if they had one in stock. Turns out they did not. Same story, guy could order it and would have it on Tuesday. The price would be €35, for the same Hiflo filter. Obviously i declined.

How in the name of God do they get away with charging twice the price for bits.

In fairness the guy in parts was very helpful and efficient but I was astounded by the price difference. People obviously dont mind though or have more money than sense, they place was packed.

Pays to shop around I guess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Same thing happened to me with a part I purchased a few years ago,needless to say I didn't go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

That big glass building and all those bikes in the window front wont pay for themselves you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hi, Devils Advocate here :)

I recently bought a 500ml bottle of oil for my Scottoiler for €11:99 in Cotters and since I was in the area we dropped into Bikeworld where I could have bought the same oil but at €14:99 for 1 litre bottle!.

Guess where I'd go for Scottoil oil again?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Guess where I'd go for Scottoil oil again?.

Maybe just ask Cotters what price their 1l bottle is.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Maybe just ask Cotters what price their 1l bottle is.

I'll be using old engine oil instead :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They are buying parts and clothing from Louis and reselling them. Just walking around the shop I spotted a couple of items straight off. Like this helmet, its €150 there and €250 in Bikeworld. "Bandit" is basically one of Louis's own brands so I doubt they got it from somewhere else.

Also they had this liftstick for €75 !!! , I spotted the Louis price tag under their own !! :eek:

I tried on a pair of RST Adventure boots there, got them half price online before I'd even left the shop :)

That said when I'm over that way I'll drop into both Cotters AND BW, usually Cotters is cheaper (much cheaper) but I have gotten things cheaper in BW too.

It pays to shop around, and check online prices too.

These days whenever I can I purchase online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

To be fair they're all as bad as each other. I've found deals in them all and I've seen some extortionate prices too. I mostly buy online and use the stores for a size or quality check before buying.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

zubair wrote: »
    To be fair they're all as bad as each other. I've found deals in them all and I've seen some extortionate prices too. I mostly buy online and use the stores for a size or quality check before buying.
    You wont get to do this much longer. Cos bricks and mortar stores are dying out because of it.

Good luck getting your repairs done online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Oryx wrote: »
    Cos bricks and mortar stores are dying out because of it.

I hope they do die out TBH, ANYWHERE charging what ever they like and giving incredibly bad service should go under! If it was not for all the solicitors and dentists and hob knobs getting conned out of it in Bikeworld they would have gone under yrs ago.

They can be competitive on some items but by and large they are shafting people BIG TIME. And I have heard some horror stories about work done on bikes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

You wont get to do this much longer. Cos bricks and mortar stores are dying out because of it.

That just means that the independent mechanics shops like Moto-technic,NDM,RPM,Mototuning and DLM Racing will thrive even more.

And I speak as a happy customer from having used all the above too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Big store big prices.....theyve had it too good for too long..as said the little guy will always be busy..;)

What pisses me off about BW is that they dont even try to hide the fact that they are riding you hard with no lube!

Plenty of free Del boy videos to help with the maintenance.....;)....unless youre afraid to get yer hands dirty..:p

Plenty of free Del boy videos to help with the maintenance.....;)....unless youre afraid to get yer hands dirty..:p

I was going to post that last night.

If you're not afraid of trying then Delboy is brilliant.

I was going to post that last night.

If you're not afraid of trying then Delboy is brilliant.

You know it makes sense Rodney.....:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Bikeworld get a bad wrap but as already said, it costs money to maintain a massive shop like that, they have crazy overheads that an online web shop would not have, of course they are going to be more expensive - but you can take it with you and not wait for delivery. In fairness to them I've always got really good service whenever I do go there. Like anyone I buy a lot online but if I do need something on the day I've been happy going there. I bought a lock which was no more expensive than what I found online. I've had mixed experiences in the service I have got out of cotters on more than one occasion - no one place is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

These days whenever I can I purchase online.
    +1 this is exactly what I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Zascar wrote: »
    I've had mixed experiences in the service I have got out of cotters on more than one occasion - no one place is perfect.

Ditto. The service in cotters can be quite different/unique at times. Doesn't seem to bother some people (myself included), while I know it alienates others. Many of those will shop at Bikeworld instead, even though it can be more expensive.

Or just spin out to Harley and see the prices there. You're 100% going to get cheaper online, but that's not what it's about for that type of customer.

I know some ladies who refuse to shop at Bikeworld since they sell those "sexy" outfits in the women's gear section. Again, they're alienating a certain buyer, while others won't care.

At the end of the day you shop where you like based on your own perspective, concepts of value, and experiences, etc. And if you think they're gouging you on prices then you're not the customer they're after anyway.

Apple sold over 50 million iPhones in 2015, and to me I don't get it as I see my Android as doing all the same for cheaper. To others, they don't even consider buying anything but an iPhone.

Or you could say it's like SuperValu vs Lidl. A lot of the same products etc, but some folks won't even consider shopping at one (or the other) for whatever reason. Some shop at both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I bought a fair bit of stuff there over the years. Good few highesh end jackets, trousers, boots and gloves. I wouldn't be a fan of servicing or after sales service based on the 2 times I used them.

Bought a pair of Dainese boots there, as you can imagine, not cheap. 100% waterproof gortex apparently. First shower (very heavy), they leaked. Very annoying, cos I was touring at the time and spend 2 days with wet boots and soggy socks. Brought them back and wanted a replacement, they took a month because they said they had to sent them back to dainese to check in case I wasn't telling the truth! Now considering I used my bike every day and needed boots, this was a load of shíte.

Another time I wanted tyres. I specifically told them to balance the wheels too. They said of course, they balance every wheel after every new tyre. They didn't balance the wheels, over about 60mph there was a big vibration. Was touring the next day so had to bring it somewhere else to sorted it cos I couldn't make it back to bikeworld.

They're handy to have and I do appreciate the big clean shop with decent changing rooms. The cost of stocking a big range of helmets must be massive. But I still buy online, if they go, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Big store big prices.....theyve had it too good for too long..as said the little guy will always be busy..;)

But this is the wrong way round.

Big store normally means cheaper but a bit impersonal, small local normally means more expensive but more personal/hands on. (Generally speaking)

Go into any super store in the UK and you expect cheaper prices. BW seem to want the best of both worlds.

I could be wrong but afaik Timeless provide most shops with stuff...but the price from shop to shop can vary considerably....

KonFusion wrote: »
    Ditto. The service in cotters can be quite different/unique at times. Doesn't seem to bother some people (myself included), while I know it alienates others. Many of those will shop at Bikeworld instead, even though it can be more expensive.

Or just spin out to Harley and see the prices there. You're 100% going to get cheaper online, but that's not what it's about for that type of customer.

I know some ladies who refuse to shop at Bikeworld since they sell those "sexy" outfits in the women's gear section. Again, they're alienating a certain buyer, while others won't care.

At the end of the day you shop where you like based on your own perspective, concepts of value, and experiences, etc. And if you think they're gouging you on prices then you're not the customer they're after anyway.

Apple sold over 50 million iPhones in 2015, and to me I don't get it as I see my Android as doing all the same for cheaper. To others, they don't even consider buying anything but an iPhone.

Or you could say it's like SuperValu vs Lidl. A lot of the same products etc, but some folks won't even consider shopping at one (or the other) for whatever reason. Some shop at both.

Can you elaborate? Never been there

Can you elaborate? Never been there

Hmm, let me think of some examples.

I've heard one of the staff shout "****ing customers" when the place was busy and he was rushing around - it was intended to be humorous of course.

Or I've been asked "Are you ****ing serious?" when I've asked for a number of different items to be brought out from the stock room to try on.

That kind of stuff. A bit of light ball busting :pac:

If you've shopped in there, I'm sure you'll know who/what I'm talking about.

Doesn't bother me, but some people take it differently, and get rubbed up the wrong way, which I can understand. You wouldn't expect that type of language in other retail stores, and some of the staff can act a bit over-familiar, which if it's your first time in the shop you'd be wondering what's going on.

The service is generally pretty good though. But some people get put off, and will go to Bikeworld or Megabikes etc where the staff are more professional in their approach.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hmm, let me think of some examples.

I've heard one of the staff shout "****ing customers" when the place was busy and he was rushing around - it was intended to be humorous of course.

Or I've been asked "Are you ****ing serious?" when I've asked for a number of different items to be brought out from the stock room to try on.

That kind of stuff. A bit of light ball busting :pac:

If you've shopped in there, I'm sure you'll know who/what I'm talking about.

Doesn't bother me, but some people take it differently, and get rubbed up the wrong way, which I can understand. You wouldn't expect that type of language in other retail stores, and some of the staff can act a bit over-familiar, which if it's your first time in the shop you'd be wondering what's going on.

The service is generally pretty good though. But some people get put off, and will go to Bikeworld or Megabikes etc where the staff are more professional in their approach.

MMM...went in there last year to look at some gloves....tried on a few pairs, found a pair i liked but needed a size up..asked the chap who was glued to his computer for some help...a disinterested reply "thats the only size i have" without getting off his arse....jockey and knob spring to mind...havent been/or will be back...bad hair day..or just ignorant..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Don't get why Bikeworld don't make more of an effort to have a decent online set up? I know they have started to make it a bit better, but it's still ****e!

Maybe they wouldn't have to overcharge if they were doing a bit better on the online side of things? I've heard the likes of their rst gear is pretty much the same price as online? Can anyone confirm this before I buy on the net? :)

MMM...went in there last year to look at some gloves....tried on a few pairs, found a pair i liked but needed a size up..asked the chap who was glued to his computer for some help...a disinterested reply "thats the only size i have" without getting off his arse

Funnily enough, was also buying gloves there recently. Same experience. Didn't seem interested in making a sale.

What I mean't about professionalism is they're less likely to call you a prick :P

Have bought three bikes new from them, cash sales, since 2000 & never once was I offered a discount on a helmet, gear etc.
    I'll be spending my cash elsewhere from now on.

Have bought three bikes new from them, cash sales, since 2000 & never once was I offered a discount on a helmet, gear etc.
    I'll be spending my cash elsewhere from now on.

And it took you 3 bikes to come to this conclusion?

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    And it took you 3 bikes to come to this conclusion?
    Was my post not legible?

Advertisement