Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bikeworld Gouging Customers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Have bought three bikes new from them, cash sales, since 2000 & never once was I offered a discount on a helmet, gear etc.
    I'll be spending my cash elsewhere from now on.

Bought a second hand bike off them last year and was given 10% off everything in the shop for a year. They do ride you on trade ins, but sure that's what they're there to do.

I've actually had ok experiences with bikeworld, your one upstairs knows her stuff, they generally try to fit to your budget and not ride you with the most expensive stuff. Yeah it's spendy but you're paying for having it there and then, and keeping the lights on. Their RST pricing is not significantly higher than online.

I've had shocking experiences with cotters any time I've been in there. Asked a chap about a jacket, he said he'd go check something and then disappeared, later saw him downstairs behind the counter with his cuppa nattering away with some lads, completely ignored me. Seems you're grand if you know any of the lads or if they're not too busy, otherwise you could find yourself ignored completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Was my post not legible?

Did you ask for a deal...??.....if you dont ask you dont get..if i'm not getting, i'm gettin the fcuk outta there...:)

Dont believe WB was being smart, just curious (as we all are) why you keep going back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Did you ask for a deal...??.....if you dont ask you dont get..if i'm not getting, i'm gettin the fcuk outta there...:)

Dont believe WB was being smart, just curious (as we all are) why you keep going back..
    Bikeworld were the only dealer willing/able to bring in a new MT-01 for me at the time of purchase, no other dealer could lay their hands on one without a six month waiting list & the UK was not an option.
    I asked for a discount on a Datatool alarm/immobilizer & was told they were making no profit on them as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Was my post not legible?

You say you were not offered any discount on the clothing and helmet.

Well then go and open your mouth and ask for a discount-10-15% off at the very least.

Thats what Ive done on the 2 occasions Ive bought clothing off them.And Ive got a discount when Ive asked for it.

"Whats your best price on that jacket?"

OR

"Ive bought stuff from you before,can you do me a good discount on these items of gear?"

Its not very hard to open your mouth and ask them.;)
    The girl upstairs with the glasses is allways good for a discount too.:)

You say you were not offered any discount on the clothing and helmet.

Well then go and open your mouth and ask for a discount-10-15% off at the very least.

Thats what Ive done on the 2 occasions Ive bought clothing off them.And Ive got a discount when Ive asked for it.

"Whats your best price on that jacket?"

OR

"Ive bought stuff from you before,can you do me a good discount on these items of gear?"

Its not very hard to open your mouth and ask them.;)
    The girl upstairs with the glasses is allways good for a discount too.:)

What do you mean "too"........;);)...:))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I've had shocking experiences with cotters any time I've been in there. Asked a chap about a jacket, he said he'd go check something and then disappeared, later saw him downstairs behind the counter with his cuppa nattering away with some lads, completely ignored me. Seems you're grand if you know any of the lads or if they're not too busy, otherwise you could find yourself ignored completely.

I found this too. I went in a few years ago with a mate over from the UK who wanted all new gear in Ireland to benefit from the sterling rate. They just didn't seem that interested so after several tries for help we went to bikeworld, got excellent service and he spent over €700.

I also remember many years ago when I was starting out I'd been in the shop looking at stuff but decided to place the order online. This was a Thursday, and Monday I called to see if it had been dispatched. Said he had not got around to it yet but he would. Thursday rolls on and nothing so I called to ask why and I was told "Sorry we're just too busy". FFS - too busy to take my money and fulfil my order? I had to go up to collect the goods. The young lad in there is usually pretty helpful but I feel you have to me one of the shops mates to get service sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Zascar wrote: »
    I found this too. I went in a few years ago with a mate over from the UK who wanted all new gear in Ireland to benefit from the sterling rate. They just didn't seem that interested so after several tries for help we went to bikeworld, got excellent service and he spent over €700.

Same experience here. Went to Cotters, walked around, was totally ignored, asked for size/help and was told he would check something and get back to me ... a few min later, I gave up waiting.

So, went to BikeWorld. I was helped immediately, and bought a full set of gear there - boots, gloves, suit, helmet, etc.

A while ago I placed an order online at Cotters ... well ... still waiting for it, even after numerous emails that have not been replied to. I guess I need to go in and see what is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Cotters is a very badly run shop. I only go if something urgent needed (tyre or parts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cotters is a very badly run shop. I only go if something urgent needed (tyre or parts).

I don't know, personally I really like the place, the lads are all sound and know their stuff, they're not 'sales professionals' maybe but then it is a bike shop not a used car lot, they always have whatever I need and are always competitive on price.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    I don't know, personally I really like the place, the lads are all sound and know their stuff, they're not 'sales professionals' maybe but then it is a bike shop not a used car lot, they always have whatever I need and are always competitive on price.

I used to go to and hang around the old shop at the KCR years ago..the dad was sound....last time i went to the new shop i found the sons(one in particular) to be an arrogant SOB..he talked down to me as if i didnt deserve his time...if it wasnt for daddy he'd never gat a job..sorry its ebay for me..

• Advertisement

What do you mean "too"........;);)...:))

Shes dead sound,I allways try to buy from her on any occasion Ive wanted something in BW.

Cotters are a tad unusual.

One day you can go over and the atmosphere is grad and you get a deal.
    The next day the atmosphere can be like being in a funeral home,and you get no deal.

Kinda reminds me of this.....:(:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was my post not legible?

Hmmmm sarcasim i love it, but the definition of insanity/stupidity is doing the same thing over and over (and over again in your case) and expecting a different outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

bladespin wrote: »

But, but, but, by the very definition of professional that is exactly what they are :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sounds like every bike shop in Cork, if you're a newbie or unknown you're screwed.

Cotters are a tad unusual.

One day you can go over and the atmosphere is grad and you get a deal.
    The next day the atmosphere can be like being in a funeral home,and you get no deal.

Kinda reminds me of this.....:(:pac:

more like this me thinks..........:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIaXSBSQ0W0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

sounds like every bike shop in Cork, if you're a newbie or unknown you're screwed.

FYP ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

There is one lad in cotters who is very unprofessional and if I see him heading my way, I turn and head for the door. And usually end up in Megabikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    There is one lad in cotters who is very unprofessional and if I see him heading my way, I turn and head for the door. And usually end up in Megabikes.

Ah don't get me started on Megabikes. They act like they don't like money in that place !!

Went in there recently to buy a €400 pair of boots, staff stood there and chatted behind me while I spent 5 minutes looking at them.

Oh and try buying a bike from them, GOOD LUCK !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...dunno what ye're whinging about: at least you've shops to go into.

Despite filling the car park at Biker Fest West in Galway last weekend, and spotting a few 161 G bikes, it did strike me that there isn't a bike shop in the West at all anymore.

Sad, really.

I've bought stuff in Cotters but it was very much I bought, not they sold, stuff to me. It was like you're doing them a favour. The gear was good, the price fair, but half the fun of buying stuff is the experience of it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

D3V!L wrote: »
    Oh and try buying a bike from them, GOOD LUCK !!

I have bought a bike off them and found the experience good. They gave me a great price on my trade in. I couldn't have been happier with the deal and service I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'll be locking this soon if it keeps going off the rails

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...dunno what ye're whinging about: at least you've shops to go into.

Despite filling the car park at Biker Fest West in Galway last weekend, and spotting a few 161 G bikes, it did strike me that there isn't a bike shop in the West at all anymore.

Indeed, was a shame when the ballybane shop closed,can't remember the name of the place. She was always chatty and held quite a bit of stock, I bought most of my stuff from there until they went. I call in to PhD in oranmore these days, he is more set up for the Harleys, but always has time for a bit of chat. And is happy to work on my jap bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

A mate got a price from them last week for a set of tires, €265 fitted – this included a Bridgestone promotion of €65. Cotters are selling the same tyres for €227. Effectively Bikeworld were looking for €100 for fitting of 2 tyres. Nice work if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    I have bought a bike off them and found the experience good. They gave me a great price on my trade in. I couldn't have been happier with the deal and service I got.

Same here.

I got a really good deal on a trade in recently.

Pleasure to deal with on this occasion tbh.

The safety brief was a little tedious, 'Man, I've been riding bikes over thirty years' ~ "we have to do this" ~ me 'Gimme my bike' ~ "I can't, we have to do this...." me "gimme the God damned bike, I know where the clutch and brake levers are''... Eventually I rode away delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Same here.

I got a really good deal on a trade in recently.

Pleasure to deal with on this occasion tbh.

The safety brief was a little tedious, 'Man, I've been riding bikes over thirty years' ~ "we have to do this" ~ me 'Gimme my bike' ~ "I can't, we have to do this...." me "gimme the God damned bike, I know where the clutch and brake levers are''... Eventually I rode away delighted :)

Maybe your wheelie reputation preceded you and they thought you needed a recap on safety :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

What I really dislike is the no price taggs and no customer service skills at all. Cotters I've found to have bigger range of stuff no matter the budget but zero customer service.

Megabikes I've always found great for customer service but stuff is always high quality expensive items. Not that good if on the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My guess is that part of the high prices in BW is that (iirc) they established themselves in that building during the Celtic Tiger. Which means they are stuck in a 35 year lease with upward only rent reviews. There's lots of car showrooms along that stretch who are in the same position, a few went to the wall because they just couldn't pay the rent at a time when car sales went way down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jvan wrote: »
    Maybe your wheelie reputation preceded you and they thought you needed a recap on safety :pac:

They've stopped now :D

Even a recent spin down the M7 had me sitting at 110kph and happy as fook.

I'm getting old :o

Advertisement