Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bikeworld Gouging Customers

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

They've stopped now :D

Even a recent spin down the M7 had me sitting at 110kph and happy as fook.

I'm getting old :o

See that's what happens when you listen to a safety briefing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Don't get why Bikeworld don't make more of an effort to have a decent online set up? I know they have started to make it a bit better, but it's still ****e!

Maybe they wouldn't have to overcharge if they were doing a bit better on the online side of things? I've heard the likes of their rst gear is pretty much the same price as online? Can anyone confirm this before I buy on the net? :)

I bought an RST tractech evo 2 jacket online. It was €295 delivered online and €390 in bike world. Couldnt believe the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

neildyr wrote: »
    I bought an RST tractech evo 2 jacket online. It was €295 delivered online and €390 in bike world. Couldnt believe the difference.

That's it, if they're online it's easy to compare prices and not buy there. The advantage of a shop is trying stuff on.

Possibly the worse website ever though, they really should sort it out. In this day and age there's no excuse for such a shít site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's it, if they're online it's easy to compare prices and not buy there. The advantage of a shop is trying stuff on.

Possibly the worse website ever though, they really should sort it out. In this day and age there's no excuse for such a shít site.

100%. Especially when Crossans have a decent site, which I imagine BW lose out a lot of domestic online sales to.

Megabikes site is awful too, and while Cotters isn't as bad, it still lacks many of the basic functionalities expected from an ecommerce site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 motome

Lads, looking into getting a new Honda cb500x, any recommendations on where to get best deal and service in Dublin?
    Megabikes, Bikeworld, M50 Honda, any other?? Would be great to hear people past experience, thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I bought some RST paragon textile pants in Bike world about 18 months ago now I reckon. I went in to try on before buying online if I'm being honest and I ended up buying them there instead. I must have sat on my phone in front of the pants for a good 15 minutes trying to find them cheaper online - I think sportsbikeshop had them for about a fiver cheaper.

I think it depends on what you are looking for. I'd never buy a helmet there for obvious reasons and I've heard their servicing costs are dear too but I'd go back if I was looking for a jacket or gloves at least to price and give them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I bought my leathers and my textiles in there, if they have the stock and the price thats fine. Dont mind even paying a bit more but dont take the piss ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Vikings wrote: »
    I think it depends on what you are looking for. I'd never buy a helmet there for obvious reasons and I've heard their servicing costs are dear too but I'd go back if I was looking for a jacket or gloves at least to price and give them a chance.

As someone who would be looking to buy there first helmet soon, whats wrong with Bikeworld ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I bought my full gear with Bikeworld. Helmet too. Cotters price for the helmet was the very same, but they were totally unhelpful, so I took my business elsewhere. In bikeworld they helped me make sure I ordered the correct size helmet, since I already had an idea of the make/model I wanted before shopping anyway.

So in Bikeworld I got textile suit, boots, gloves, helmet, L-vest, and then got some other bike bits like disc lock, and stuff. All within my budget and only slightly above online prices (expected for a bricks store anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

beno619 wrote: »
    As someone who would be looking to buy there first helmet soon, whats wrong with Bikeworld ?

I've bought my last two helmets in BW so I'm wondering the same.

• Advertisement

They're Irish.

Helmets are cheaper from the UK/NI/Europe as the full rate of VAT is charged on them here.

They are considered protective equipment in the UK and attract a zero rate of VAT.

So it almost always will work out cheaper to go elsewhere

Edit: just to add, this obviously effects all Irish shops so it's nothing to do with bike world specifically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They're Irish.

Helmets are cheaper from the UK/NI/Europe as the full rate of VAT is charged on them here.

They are considered protective equipment in the UK and attract a zero rate of VAT.

So it almost always will work out cheaper to go elsewhere

Edit: just to add, this obviously effects all Irish shops so it's nothing to do with bike world specifically

Not strictly true : yes, there's VAT here, but I still got my new Shark Evo One lately €40 cheaper in Cotters than buying it online in UK or Germany....and I got to try it first.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not strictly true : yes, there's VAT here, but I still got my new Shark Evo One lately €40 cheaper in Cotters than buying it online in UK or Germany....and I got to try it first.........

There's going to be the odd deal that will work out better here like that, more so I'd imagine with Cotters than the likes of bike world.

I'd also pay €50 extra for a helmet to try it on first and have a bricks and mortar come back if anything happened to it.

beno619 wrote: »

Take a trip up to CROSSANS in Newry, even just to see the selection. And you will get a good price if you haggle.

No Vat either, and have pretty much all the best brands and price range for most.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Take a trip up to CROSSANS in Newry, even just to see the selection. And you will get a good price if you haggle.

No Vat either, and have pretty much all the best brands and price range for most.

I did.....and didn't buy...good range alright....got parts for a helmet from them twice. Wrong both times.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There's going to be the odd deal that will work out better here like that, more so I'd imagine with Cotters than the likes of bike world.

I'd also pay €50 extra for a helmet to try it on first and have a bricks and mortar come back if anything happened to it.

Same here but the last helmet I bought was 450 quid more in Bikeworld than online and I ended up getting it in CC in Kells for 430 less than Bikeworld :pac:

batman_oh wrote: »
    Same here but the last helmet I bought was 450 quid more in Bikeworld than online and I ended up getting it in CC in Kells for 430 less than Bikeworld :pac:

€450 MORE ? what the hell was it made of ? Unobtainium? ?

Ode To The Motorist

Daaaaaamn ~ the most expensive helmet I've ever bought cost me €149 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

galwaytt wrote: »
    €450 MORE ? what the hell was it made of ? Unobtainium? ?

HJC RPHA Lorenzo Carbon - over 900 quid quoted at the time and I paid 520 for it (cheaper online too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

HJC RPHA Lorenzo Carbon - over 900 quid quoted at the time and I paid 520 for it (cheaper online too).

Fcuk me...:eek:...i'd leave the price tag on it so everyone can see....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was quoted €780 for my AGV Carbon Naked Evo in Bikeworld and got it for €380 online. I was told oh thats last years model :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Hate the place. They knackered the ignition coils on a previous bike during a service, when they changed the plugs without getting my permission first.
    Gave them a very specific list of what to do, supplied most of the parts, and told them that if they found anything else needing doing, to call me first.
    Got back to collect it and was told theyd changed the plugs. This added a fair bit extra in parts and labour too, but I couldn't be bothered arguing.
    Drove her home and she cut out at low revs a number of times. I thought I'd give it a day and see how it went. Rang next day and told them what happened.
    That was a Saturday, brought it into them on Monday and they checked it out and said the coils were damaged. I said that they weren't prior to you deciding to change the plugs without my permission.
    Long story short, I had to pay for new coils or go thru the ringer with the c*nts.
    Wouldn't go there if it was the last shop on earth.
    The manager is an utter twat.

So I'm looking for an open face lid for the classic..adverts,nothing ,done deal nothing..:(..summer will be gone before long...so I hit eBay..s/h Arai freeway2 Matt black, large.....sounds and looks good....starting price £11....considered the costs of getting it back and decided to leave it....auction ended..not sold....:confused:
    Contacted the seller and asked if he still wanted to sell....asked what he wanted for it..he said he'd take £20 and deliver it for free....:eek:........it arrived this morning...mint..what a result....didn't realise how dear they were new........:)

So I'm looking for an open face lid for the classic..adverts,nothing ,done deal nothing..:(..summer will be gone before long...so I hit eBay..s/h Arai freeway2 Matt black, large.....sounds and looks good....starting price £11....considered the costs of getting it back and decided to leave it....auction ended..not sold....:confused:
    Contacted the seller and asked if he still wanted to sell....asked what he wanted for it..he said he'd take £20 and deliver it for free....:eek:........it arrived this morning...mint..what a result....didn't realise how dear they were new........:)

Id get the Ultraviolet light onto the inside of that badboy straight away if you know what I mean????

LOL

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Id get the Ultraviolet light onto the inside of that badboy straight away if you know what I mean????

LOL

Only the good lord knows what you'll find!!

How very dare you sir...........:D

Helmet is spotless..though he must have only used it on a trawler......

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Benmoore86

I'm not one for putting businesses down but I was stuck for a battery for my r6 a few months ago and rang a well known battery supplier, they didn't have it in stock but could have it the next day for €45 so I drove on up to the place in question and they wanted over €100 euro and still had to order it in! I know there is much bigger overheads in play here but that's a silly difference for the same battery! They have some lovely gear though, maybe the huge price difference is what's keeping the huge stock they carry??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Bought a summer leather jacket in Cotters y'day. Great value. It never crossed my mind to visit the other place.

Advertisement