Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threading for mod....options.

Options
  • 15-05-2016 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

So i'm expecting the replacement license with "S" for the ruger 22. I want to get the barrel threaded and have a cap just in case. Now, just being inquisitive and fussy here, but i'm looking for opinions on the best way to go about it.

The barrel is more of a gun metal grey than blue (exactly like the ruger hornady in the for sale section) and I would like a mod to suit it, so it doesn't stand out too much.

I also prefer the mods that sit a few inches over the barrel. Not sure they are even available for a 22.

So, I believe the best thing is to remove the barrel and have it sent to a gun smith that does some decent threading.

Question is what is the best way of going about it....considering the type of mod i prefer (if i can even get one of these) and trying to keep costs reasonable enough while having a proper job done. Maybe getting a mod in a different place than where the threading is done? I'm thinking 250-300 for the lot is an acceptable budget for a good standard of work and a good mod for the rifle. Or am I dreaming?

Recommendations for where to send are very welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The barrel gets removed to be threaded. It must be spun in a lathe. You go out and buy the suppressor you want. Then send it with the rifle to get threaded.

The popular suppressors for a .22 are:
    • Parker Hale
    • SAK
    • LEI
    • A-Tec
    • Wildcat Whisper
    Most either come in 1/2" unf threading or a choice of threading, but 1/2" is usually the preferred option. Most are also muzzle mounted, but are very lightweight so this is not an issue.

You can go for a larger suppressor such as one for a .223, .25, 6.5, .308, etc. If you do you'd want a modular suppressor, but its not necessary and they cost up to 6 times what the ones above cost.

The suppressor and threading job should cost no more than €200 MAX. Personally that is even on the high end of the scale. It can be done for half that but its up to who you use.

When you get the barrel threaded make sure to ask for a thread cap, or invisible thread cap. they cost a couple of quid more but look great when the suppressor is not on the rifle.

Dominic Byrne, Enda Walsh are two of the best gunsmiths currently running, but most RFDs will have someone they turn to (probably one of the the two lads) so you can go to a dealer, leave him with the rifle and suppressor and they'll send it off for you. That is of course if you don't want to send it yourself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks Cass. I definitely want the type that slips over the barrel, getting the base closer to the stock, so as not to add too much to the overall length of the gun. I just don't like the look of the mods with tapered bases. Some of them almost look like cones stuck on the end of the barrel. It looks like the wildcat ones might be the job.

Would it be adviseable/acceptable to have the barrel made a bit shorter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

goz83 wrote: »
    Thanks Cass. I definitely want the type that slips over the barrel, getting the base closer to the stock, so as not to add too much to the overall length of the gun. I just don't like the look of the mods with tapered bases. Some of them almost look like cones stuck on the end of the barrel. It looks like the wildcat ones might be the job.

Would it be adviseable/acceptable to have the barrel made a bit shorter?

As long as you don't get it shortened below 50cm as that's legally as short as you can get a barrel shortened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

About €80 for the threading in most places. The SAK & Parker Hale are probably the most popular as they are the cheapest. Both can be picked up for €40/50
    I think I seen the A-Tec for about €70 and the wildcat is the dearest.

Personally I think your over thinking it (again) :)

Go with the 1/2 unf thread as its on nearly all .22's I personally think there's next to no difference in sound reduction between the SAK, PH, A-Tec and a couple of cheap no name mods I've tried to the nake human ear with subsonics.

hexosan wrote: »
    About €80 for the threading in most places. The SAK & Parker Hale are probably the most popular as they are the cheapest. Both can be picked up for €40/50
    I think I seen the A-Tec for about €70 and the wildcat is the dearest.

Personally I think your over thinking it (again) :)

Go with the 1/2 unf thread as its on nearly all .22's I personally think there's next to no difference in sound reduction between the SAK, PH, A-Tec and a couple of cheap no name mods I've tried to the nake human ear with subsonics.

Actually the brand doesn't matter to me. I said wild-cat, because there was one recently for sale here and it was the type to slot over the barrel, but I now see most brands offer these types of mods anyway. So' I reckon I will be looking to have the barrel shortened and threaded then. Thanks for the reminder on the legal limit....though I wasn't going to take the hacksaw to it myself :P . I will just ask the gunsmith I choose (more than likely one of the two above) to quote me for the work and get moving on it.

I imagine they will have mods in stock to suit what I want, but their websites don't say so. I only seen mods advertised on one of their facebook pages.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reminder on the legal limit....though I wasn't going to take the hacksaw to it myself :P . I will just ask the gunsmith I choose (more than likely one of the two above) to quote me for the work and get moving on it.

Can't imagine why anyone(even yourself) would think that you were going to use a hacksaw on it (bit more to shortening a barrel anyway) but regardless of who does it for you, the limit is still the same, legally. Although, you could just have bought a factory rifle with a shorter barrel than 50cm and it would be fine. Great laws aren't they :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Threading and crown c.€100. + SAK €50. = money left in your pocket.
    No need for an LEI (c.€150) or Whisper(€200) on a .22

amadablam wrote: »
    Can't imagine why anyone(even yourself) would think that you were going to use a hacksaw on it (bit more to shortening a barrel anyway) but regardless of who does it for you, the limit is still the same, legally. Although, you could just have bought a factory rifle with a shorter barrel than 50cm and it would be fine. Great laws aren't they :)

The laws are mad alright. Reminds of the NCT and HID lights. I had an fto gpx that came standard with rubbish headlights. The gpvr version came with hid lights, housed in the exact same headlamp units. One car is allowed pass the nct with hid lights, while the other will not.....but wait.....it might, depending on who and at what nct centre you visit. Nuts!
    lefthooker wrote: »
    Threading and crown c.€100. + SAK €50. = money left in your pocket.
    No need for an LEI (c.€150) or Whisper(€200) on a .22

I'm considering my options here. I like the look of the over barrel mods, but I am mindful of the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

If you do go for a muzzle mounted (non over barrel) then have a look at the SAK in silver it might suit your rifle better than a black mod.

BTW congrats and happy shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Your first mistake with the whisper is that it'll add the same length to the rifle as a mod like the atec wave or atec cnn4..
    It's over barrel for about 2 inches but then stickes out 4inches.. The atec wave Is 50quid 4 inches long and weighs less than 100 grams..

I got my. 22 shortened recently and replaced my SAK mod with the atec wave.. I went to doms custom rifles for mine and he was a gent to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I just don't like the look of the mods with tapered bases. Some of them almost look like cones stuck on the end of the barre

Could you help me understand that one, not sure I follow you? Do you have a picture of one of these?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Could you help me understand that one, not sure I follow you? Do you have a picture of one of these?

I'm not explaining it very well,...my bad. I mean the silencers that get narrow at the base whey screw onto the muzzle. Something like the image below, which actually looks ok in that picture, as it's pretty close to the stock.

PY-2406_Stoeger-Arms-X20S-Suppressor.jpg

I'm not explaining it very well,...my bad. I mean the silencers that get narrow at the base whey screw onto the muzzle. Something like the image below, which actually looks ok in that picture, as it's pretty close to the stock.

PY-2406_Stoeger-Arms-X20S-Suppressor.jpg

Mostly, when you see a taper like that, the moderator is designed for use on an air rifle and the taper is there as they go onto the barrel slightly different (also to seal in the air) in some case as they can screw into the barrel rather than onto it.

some air rifle moderators are rated for 22 lr use too although I have tried the reverse on an air rifle and results were not great.

I think you will be safe enough not to have a "cone" look if you stick to the mods mentioned above.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ahhhh, now I get ya. I've seen a few of them before but mainly on air rifles. Apparently the angle can be beneficial if mounting lights/torches as it reflects less light directly back into the scope.

Advertisement