Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 - stay or go!

Options
  • 15-05-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've been in a new job for the last couple of months, currently on the working holiday visa. My current employer are saying they wish to sponsor me, and with this 6-month rule I will have to decide soon whether we need to get the ball rolling on that or just stay out the 6 months and head home by Christmas.
    I realise the massive perks of 457 and maybe people will think I'm crazy for even considering turning it down but I've been struggling with homesickness (been away for over 18 months at this point) and the thoughts of committing to another couple of years out here are daunting. I can practically see all the pros of staying out here - lifestyle, better money, endless Vitamin D supply so I'm trying to be as logical as I can in making the decision.

Has anyone had or known anyone that has had this kind of decision to make and if so what are your thoughts? I guess my main thing is not wanting to throw the whole Oz experience away and regretting it when I get back to Ireland.

Thanks for any help with this dilemma!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you are homesick now and planned to go home at the end of the year then take the 457 opportunity while you can. If it isn't for you, then you can just revert to your original plan and go back to Ireland and know that at least you gave the 457 a go and it wasn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MunchkinKid

Thanks Pete. Good advice. Is there a specific time you have to fulfill on the 457? I've heard alot of people say you have to stay 2 years with the original employer, and also that if you leave the country before your visa is up that you have to pay a certain amount back. Can't work out if these are all rumours or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Thanks Pete. Good advice. Is there a specific time you have to fulfill on the 457? I've heard alot of people say you have to stay 2 years with the original employer, and also that if you leave the country before your visa is up that you have to pay a certain amount back. Can't work out if these are all rumours or not!

None of that is true. An employer may have it as a condition of sponsorship but it is definitely not a condition of the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I'd give it a bash if I were you and book a holiday. I went back and after six months I felt like a made a BIG mistake. A friend of mine only lasted two weeks before he wanted to come home

Thanks guys, good advice.. Gonna give it a go, get home for Christmas holidays and see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Give it a go, we had a 457 and now have PR, I won't pretend the homesickness ever goes away, but, you learn to live with it. The very worst thing about Australia is how far it is from home. You can go home for a holiday while you are on your 457, that will help you.

We were on a 457 8 years ago, we decided to move home, and I will say I felt so displaced, every wet cold day I knew what we had given up, every family commitment we simply "had" to be at I realised how much freedom we had in Australia, watching the Melbourne Cup or GP made me so emotional. I guess what I am saying is that it is very hard to settle in either place once you have been away for any length of time. When we were in Ireland I missed Oz, now we are here I miss Ireland.

If youre prone to homesickness be careful about going home at christmas, keep an objective mind. Christmas is one of the best times to be in ireland, everyone is off work, load of social gatherings and parties and everyone is in good spirits. Its very easy to make a decision to move back based the emotions felt around then, but remember its not called january blues for nothing. Once Christmas is over and everyone goes back to work you are left with the reality of why you left in the first place (bit over dramatic and not specifically for OP because i dont know why he left, but you get the general jist of my point).

Good advice. Very important to be objective when going home. It seems the grass is always greener! Alot of thought will have to go into moving home/staying when the time comes. Main reason for homesickness at the moment is that I haven't really settled/found a good friends group yet and I am here on my own. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Cheers guys

Good advice. Very important to be objective when going home. It seems the grass is always greener! Alot of thought will have to go into moving home/staying when the time comes. Main reason for homesickness at the moment is that I haven't really settled/found a good friends group yet and I am here on my own. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Cheers guys

I'm visiting ireland at christmas too so i must remember to take my own advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Our last trip home was at Christmas as well, never again! We landed on Stephens day and it actually never got bright all day, my children were very confused :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement